Einstein and the Cosmic Man

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Einstein and the Cosmic Man

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:12 pm So that you will be protected from the influence of those like me
Influence? :?
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:12 pm
davidm wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:28 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:18 pm
I can just imagine Mark Twain on one of these late night TV show saying something politically incorrect. They would boo him right out of the building. What a way to live.
Mark Twain would :lol: in your face.

People who dislike "political correctness" really just mean: I'm a white racist misogynist homophobe and transphobe and I want to go back in time to a world where it was OK to be all those things and say it out loud, too!
Apparently you are an indoctrinated snowflake. So that you will be protected from the influence of those like me I have posted a suggestion in the Philosophy Now Suggestion box requesting a separate board called "The Safe Space" where snow flakes can gather in silent meditation to ward off the effects of politically incorrect ideas. I hope it helps. You too can be comforted.
This idea of separation is not new. However, I think the alternative space was to be for 'flakes'. Can't quite recall the catchy title. Hmmm. Maybe Trash Bin. You'd fit right in.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Belinda wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:57 pmNick wrote:
The legendary pincher of behinds and admirer of good female rump abhors and fears the physicality ***
The very choice of words is adolescent bravado.
Adolescent is a good word for it. I know it invokes Godwin to say so but as a daughter of a refugee from Hitler I can't help noticing that this is the very youthful male anger and frustration that Hitler drew on with his SS. You can see the schism clearly in politics and online - between reason and superstition.

It is ultimately a cost of inequality - a growing unqualified and uneducated rump who missed out on many of the gains of progress and who now hope to act as saboteurs. It is a form of regression, a return to the "safe" solipsism of youth (I suspect that Nick is less than half our ages, given his extreme immaturity). It is not much different to a young teen revisiting her teddy in times of stress. One can't help noting the extreme immaturity of far right icons, eg. Farrage, Trump, Kim and, in Australia, Tony Abbott. It's no coincidence.

Today is a time to beware of kidults in politics. The false respectability lent to immature fools by the right wing media, especially those of the Murdoch stable (especially Fox News) means that fools can no longer be safely ignored. Fools have become dangerous.

We are now witnessing the rise of the new far right in the UK, the US, now in Germany. Nick and some others on these forums show themselves to be part of this new solipsist Zeitgeist. Childish solipsism is the key to the new Right. The main media mouthpieces continue to posit the ideals of ancient myths and individual opinions as being more important than the findings of "science".

This thread has nothing to do with Einstein or the "cosmic man" - this is simply another way of approaching right v left politics. Just one more Christian twisting the meaning of Einstein's words to lend respectability to some extreme right wing political wishes. Meanwhile Einstein fled Germany to escape the far right ...
AMod

Post by AMod »

Harbal,
Harbal wrote:I think taking responsibility for something is more to do with living with the consequences rather than getting someone else to make it go away.
Bingo!

AMod.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote
This thread has nothing to do with Einstein or the "cosmic man" - this is simply another way of approaching right v left politics. Just one more Christian twisting the meaning of Einstein's words to lend respectability to some extreme right wing political wishes. Meanwhile Einstein fled Germany to escape the far right ...
You are so caught up in fighting a straw man. You are incapable of understanding Einstein. You cannot discriminate between cave man and cosmic man. To you they are the same. The crime of your mindset is that it can be contagious. You should never be a mod since you devalue philosophy as the love of wisdom and necessary to help us remember what has been forgotten through intuition or anamnesis as described by Plato

I know communist love. Ancestors of mine were highly regarded in the Imperial Russian Navy. Communist love killed some for not denying their Christian heritage. I am also Armenian and know of family killed during the Armenian genocide by Islamic love. My great great grandfather is probably the only one in history loved by both Armenians and Turks. Should I avoid Turkish restaurants because of the genocide? No. I know some very nice Turkish people.

You don't recognize individuals. You only know collectives and you create them in your own mind. This is why you hate Christians as an image you've created. You would be there with the lighted torch and the pitchfork leading the tribe chasing the imaginary enemy you would define as a monster.

I will be giving a presentation on Simone Weil in NYC on 11/19. She was Jewish. How could I do such a thing? I do it for the young women who don't know that there is a woman of philosophy who is not secular and caught up in abortion and gender rights. In other words she had the mind of a scientist and the heart of a saint. She was an individual. According to you as a Christian I should condemn Simone because she was born Jewish

You represent the worst of philosophy, the side which seeks to corrupt the inner lives of the young for secular political gain. That is why you can never understand Einstein. He was the opposite. He understood what it means to leave Plato's cave and you will do what you can to preserve the dominance of cave life.
davidm

Post by davidm »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:22 am I will be giving a presentation on Simone Weil in NYC on 11/19.
Where will you be doing this, Nick? I live in NYC. I would love to see this! 8)

Will there be Q & A?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

davidm wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:31 am
Nick_A wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:22 am I will be giving a presentation on Simone Weil in NYC on 11/19.

Will there be Q & A?
I'm still discussing the venue. I want a round table discussion with about fifteen or twenty people Naturally questions and answers are part of the discussion.Meetups are working on it. So far we've only agreed on the date but we need the place to advertise it. I did one last year on the topic "What is Art" in public spaces in the Sony building but I'd like something more cafe like and less stuffy for Simone to invite sincere rather than academic conversation..
davidm

Post by davidm »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:46 am

Will there be Q & A?
I'm still discussing the venue. I want a round table discussion with about fifteen or twenty people Naturally questions and answers are part of the discussion.Meetups are working on it. So far we've only agreed on the date but we need the place to advertise it. I did one last year on the topic "What is Art" in public spaces in the Sony building but I'd like something more cafe like and less stuffy for Simone to invite sincere rather than academic conversation..
Given that I am an artist, I sure wish I had been there for the "what is art" discussion. 8)
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

davidm wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:53 am
Nick_A wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:46 am

Will there be Q & A?
Given that I am an artist, I sure wish I had been there for the "what is art" discussion. 8)
The discussion I led centered around this excerpt fro Tolstoy

http://www.denisdutton.com/tolstoy.htm

People here are more into modern art but we were trying to go deeper than what is mostly called art during these times. It was a good discussion. It was good for me to learn that there are those with the depth of feeling that was offered. I was glad I made the effort to organize the discussion
davidm

Post by davidm »

Well, if by art you mean the broad sense of art (not just visual art) I would say that my favorite artist is Dostoevsky.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:...
You represent the worst of philosophy, the side which seeks to corrupt the inner lives of the young for secular political gain. ...
Unlike you of course who wish to instill your religious dogma and teach them to know their place.
That is why you can never understand Einstein. He was the opposite. He understood what it means to leave Plato's cave and you will do what you can to preserve the dominance of cave life.
He also spent his life teaching in your 'Great Beast'?

You do know that caves were a boon to mankind don't you?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

davidm wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:02 am Well, if by art you mean the broad sense of art (not just visual art) I would say that my favorite artist is Dostoevsky.
Well if you have a Russian influence you can't be all bad. :) You won't believe me but Dostoevsky admired my talented ancestors paintings.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:18 am
Nick_A wrote:...
You represent the worst of philosophy, the side which seeks to corrupt the inner lives of the young for secular political gain. ...
Unlike you of course who wish to instill your religious dogma and teach them to know their place.
That is why you can never understand Einstein. He was the opposite. He understood what it means to leave Plato's cave and you will do what you can to preserve the dominance of cave life.
He also spent his life teaching in your 'Great Beast'?

You do know that caves were a boon to mankind don't you?
A doctor has to go to the sick. Einstein should teach in universities. Einstein's friend and peer in mathematics wasn't so lucky. The great world chess champion Dr. Emanuel Lasker couldn't get a university job since he was Jewish. Academic peace and love.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:A doctor has to go to the sick. ...
But he wasn't healing the sick was he, he was teaching them Physics.
Einstein should teach in universities. ...
You do know he's dead?
Einstein's friend and peer in mathematics wasn't so lucky. The great world chess champion Dr. Emanuel Lasker couldn't get a university job since he was Jewish. Academic peace and love.
He taught at three universities?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:48 am
Nick_A wrote:A doctor has to go to the sick. ...
But he wasn't healing the sick was he, he was teaching them Physics.
Einstein should teach in universities. ...
You do know he's dead?
Einstein's friend and peer in mathematics wasn't so lucky. The great world chess champion Dr. Emanuel Lasker couldn't get a university job since he was Jewish. Academic peace and love.
He taught at three universities?
From Wiki

Lasker held short-term positions as a mathematics lecturer at Tulane University in New Orleans (1893) and Victoria University in Manchester (1901; Victoria University was one of the "parents" of the current University of Manchester).[63] However, he was unable to secure a longer-term position, and pursued his scholarly interests independently.[68]

I know it isn't nice to say but this was classic Antisemitism. A peer of Einstein couldn't get a full time job. Academic love.