"Bad Words"

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sir-Sister-of-Suck

"Bad Words"

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Is the idea of having "bad words" in our language which we should all be more hesitant to say or use, a fair concept? From a perspective of their practical usage and meaning, it may seem like a bit of a spectacle when these words often have synonyms we're all perfectly fine with, but It certainly feels intuitive that most of us do hold certain words at a higher standard, regardless, when we tend blurt out them out when we're in pain, anger, or even for shock value.

In more recent times, it feels like a legitimate conversation has been called into question, about what words we're allowed to use publicly. Pewdiepie, the most subscribed person on YouTube, has garnered a lot of controversy after he was caught saying the N-word on a livestream to another player on an online video game. His content is not the type of stuff I'm usually interested in, mostly because I just can't stand 'let's players'. At this point it's pretty cliche to state, but I'd much rather play a game myself than watch someone else play one. But I have been following him since this case erupted because I do feel an urge to defend it, where even a lot of his own community members seem to be coming against him. I think what's far more important than using a word - maybe even more important than it's context - is the intent behind the person using it. I'm not aware of any evidence that the person he was saying it to was even black, or have any reason to think he was using it in such a racially charged or interpersonal way. To me, it's pretty clear that he was just following suit in this oh so popular trend in multiplayer games, and just swearing up a storm out of anger or to trigger a response. It's a pretty toxic problem, but nothing new.

I think it's utterly fascinating how much controversy one single word - pretty much in a vacuum - has gotten. His apology video about the whole ordeal has over 9 million views; If you weren't aware, there was a somewhat relateable situation earlier this year where Bill Maher ironically and jokingly called himself a "housenigga", which even more clearly - had no malicious intent. There wasn't even the hard 'ER' at the end, which is suppose to infer a very different intention. It was rumored that HBO had threatened to drop maher, and basically he was forced to be emotionally butt-fucked by Ice Cube in the consequent episode, which is honestly a bit hard for me to even watch. Unlike the case with Pewdiepie, I feel Maher should have even more leeway because he was a comedian making a joke, and I strongly stand that someone should be allowed to joke about whatever he damn well pleases. I believe Maher should be allowed to use the n-word in a jocular context - and so much worse.

I think some words do naturally obtain power through their history, but I think we're also perpetrating the problem by treating it in such a forbidden, Voldemorte-eqsue way. We're giving power not just to its definition, but the sound of the word itself. A few years back, saying the word "faggot", no matter in what context, is something that would have gotten you banned on many of the online forums I knew. Nowadays, though still in a bit of it's own little corner on places like Youtube, it's fairly common for communities to jokingly throw around the term, and by all my assessment, the word just doesn't have quite the weight it once did. It's one that people have partially defused, and reclaimed for their own purpose.

Anyway, I've gone on a bit too much of a tangent at this point, and approaching that point where there are too many words in the OP for most to actually read through and respond, so what do you think?
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: "Bad Words"

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Do you mean words like 'gotten', 'toward', 'offof','anyways'? Very bad words indeed--offensive even.
As for n1gger, I don't let American PC and blatant hypocrisy dictate to me which words I can or can't say.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

There are no 'bad' words; only bad intentions in the way they are used.
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

Unfortunately when we make a big fuss about a world like sh1t or f6ck or b1tch or n1gger we are actually reinforcing the power system that word is a part of. I reinforce disciplinarianism, patriarchy, sexism, and racism when I try to repress these words, I acknowledge their power. By that I mean to be objective about a process of how words and their tabooing and power systems work, I'm not trying to say something moral like discipline, patriarchy, sexuality, and racism are bad things.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:51 am... so what do you think?
Words are made good or bad by the situation, not the intent of the speaker.
Those who have put foot in mouth have tasted this truth.

Good or bad refers to appropriateness.

Inappropriate words are bad.
Appropriate words are good.

Appropriate is defined by true apprehension of the situation, rather than delusional apprehension.

As a modifier of apprehension, truth is defined as that which accords with reality.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Depends on definition of 'bad'. See thefreedictionary.com.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Bad is defined as inappropriate to a particular situation.

“When I'm good, I'm very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better. ”
― Mae West
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Words in and of them selves are just abstract symbols and nothing more but it is
what they mean and the emotion they convey that determines how bad they are
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

marjoram_blues wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:02 am Depends on definition of 'bad'. See thefreedictionary.com.
There are 16 definitions of the word 'bad'.
'Bad' use of words can mean the speaker's intentions are in BAD 1: immoral, evil,disagreeable, unpleasant or disturbing, injurious in effect; detrimental.

Or simply in BAD2 words are used: poorly, incorrectly, mischievously.

The speaker within a situation can make it good, bad or indifferent. The power or emotional effect lies in the words chosen - the intent of the speaker; or the word-blurt, unthinking carelessness.
Also, in the understanding of the recipient.
Walker

Post by Walker »

marjoram_blues wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:22 am
marjoram_blues wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:02 am Depends on definition of 'bad'. See thefreedictionary.com.
There are 16 definitions of the word 'bad'.
'Bad' use of words can mean the speaker's intentions are in BAD 1: immoral, evil,disagreeable, unpleasant or disturbing, injurious in effect; detrimental.

Or simply in BAD2 words are used: poorly, incorrectly, mischievously.

The speaker within a situation can make it good, bad or indifferent. The power or emotional effect lies in the words chosen - the intent of the speaker; or the word-blurt, unthinking carelessness.
Also, in the understanding of the recipient.
What is bad in one situation is good in another situation, and vicey versey. Everyone has done things that if done out on the lawn, would be bad.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

And so we take each incident of speech as a standalone for evaluation in the moment.
Walker

Post by Walker »

marjoram_blues wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:50 am And so we take each incident of speech as a standalone for evaluation in the moment.
That’s not really necessary in order to accurately apprehend every situation, as many folks live by customs that have become habit. The trick is apprehending the appropriateness of when to break tradition, which is a matter of timing, which is a matter of alertness, which is a matter of energy.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:12 pm
marjoram_blues wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:50 am And so we take each incident of speech as a standalone for evaluation in the moment.
That’s not really necessary in order to accurately apprehend every situation, as many folks live by customs that have become habit. The trick is apprehending the appropriateness of when to break tradition, which is a matter of timing.
No but it would be fun to have concrete examples, to decide the 'badness', or otherwise, of a particular word. Or maybe not.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Name a situation and you can come up with lots of appropriate and inappropriate words.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:24 pm Name a situation and you can come up with lots of appropriate and inappropriate words.
:roll:
Of course, but then it gets too busy for words.
Non-verbal communication complications.