What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

What does that have to do with the price of fish?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:... I've worked the front lines and know the difference between good and bad business.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Then you should know why Walmart failed in Germany?
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:18 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote:... I've worked the front lines and know the difference between good and bad business.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Then you should know why Walmart failed in Germany?
Wrong. Where did I indicate I worked in Germany?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

You said you know the difference between good and bad business? What would a difference in country make to such a statement.
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:36 am You said you know the difference between good and bad business? What would a difference in country make to such a statement.
Foolish question. That would entail language, cultural differences, money difference, differences in national law for openers. It would need a massive (costly) study to try to make a determination.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

So basically your claim was bollocks and Dale's was pretty much as well.
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:57 am So basically your claim was bollocks and Dale's was pretty much as well.
Basically your unwarranted assumption is bollocks.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

How so? You said you know the difference between good and bad business, so what was the bad business with Walmart in Germany. If you don't know then you were basically spouting bollocks. As was Dale when he talked about using one's first name in sales as this applied, in the main, to the US where using one's first name as a form of address to a stranger is acceptable social behaviour.
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:50 am How so? You said you know the difference between good and bad business, so what was the bad business with Walmart in Germany. If you don't know then you were basically spouting bollocks. As was Dale when he talked about using one's first name in sales as this applied, in the main, to the US where using one's first name as a form of address to a stranger is acceptable social behaviour.
You're an unknown to me while Dale isn't. And I do know the difference between good and bad business. Walmart is one of the world's great businesses. Just because it couldn't get established in Germany doesn't make it bad. And you (nor I) don't know the reasons why it didn't establish a foothold in Germany so you're the one spouting bollocks.

PhilX 🇺🇸
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: What's the most horrible sound in the English language?

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:02 am
PhilX
Getting back to your thread question. The voice of the average American female.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:25 am
PhilX
Of course, many will see you altered the thread's title which took all of your puny brain's power to create so I just changed it back and you're right. It is the American female voice that is the sweetest sound in the English language. :lol:

PhilX 🇺🇸
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:33 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:25 am
PhilX
Of course, many will see you altered the thread's title which took all of your puny brain's power to create so I just changed it back and you're right. It is the American female voice that is the sweetest sound in the English language. :lol:

PhilX 🇺🇸
Yes, if 'sweet' is a cross between a foghorn and a cat fight, with some cockatoo mixed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiArbH-nMg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6EJe-EVr14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUe_oHhtYzw
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:You're an unknown to me while Dale isn't. ...
You met him?
And I do know the difference between good and bad business. Walmart is one of the world's great businesses. Just because it couldn't get established in Germany doesn't make it bad. And you (nor I) don't know the reasons why it didn't establish a foothold in Germany so you're the one spouting bollocks.
I have a fair idea why. It tried to sell US consumer culture and working practices to them(I can just imagine the dumbfounded silence and suppressed giggles at the rah! rah! start of the day) . This won't work and it won't work in most of the major European nations as they work to live not live to work. They also already have discount stores and hypermarkets as it was the Europeans who invented them in the first place. I don't disagree that Walmart is an extremely successful company but in the main that is in America and where they have succeeded in 'European' type countries it has been through take-overs and not by slapping their American model in.
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:36 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote:You're an unknown to me while Dale isn't. ...
You met him?
And I do know the difference between good and bad business. Walmart is one of the world's great businesses. Just because it couldn't get established in Germany doesn't make it bad. And you (nor I) don't know the reasons why it didn't establish a foothold in Germany so you're the one spouting bollocks.
I have a fair idea why. It tried to sell US consumer culture and working practices to them(I can just imagine the dumbfounded silence and suppressed giggles at the rah! rah! start of the day) . This won't work and it won't work in most of the major European nations as they work to live not live to work. They also already have discount stores and hypermarkets as it was the Europeans who invented them in the first place. I don't disagree that Walmart is an extremely successful company but in the main that is in America and where they have succeeded in 'European' type countries it has been through take-overs and not by slapping their American model in.
"You met him?"

Don't play stupid. Just trying to twist my meaning around
to make it sound different doesn't work.

As far as the rest of what you said, nobody knows why Walmart didn't get established in Germany. Many reasons are possible. You haven't established that you're the one to know why. For all we know, Walmart may have learned from their experience and applied what they learned elsewhere. If you think you know otherwise, then open your own business and try to compete with them (I would bet on Walmart).

PhilX 🇺🇸
Greta

Post by Greta »

I'm pretty sure my dog would be torn between "food", "dinner", "din dins", "brekkie" and "chicken".

I always thought that pterodactyl was a cool word, although that's partly the funky spelling.
Last edited by Greta on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.