God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

The use of the term Father in speaking of God is quite ancient and was around way before Jesus started using the term, even though he used son of man a lot more than son of God.

A son calling someone father in the proud way Jesus did is respecting a worthy father, but if we look at Yahweh, I do not see how anyone could be proud of such a father.

Yahweh is definitely portrayed as being quite vile thanks to his use of genocide, infanticide and punishing the innocent instead of the guilty quite often. Yahweh is also shown to covet Joseph’s wife, cuckold Joseph, produce a son and then take off for parts unknown leaving his responsibility for his son to others thus showing himself to be a deadbeat dad.

Scripture say that we are all sons of God. To be relevant to his children, a father has to be around to interact with them. It seems that God does not want to be relevant to us as he remains absent and places us, his children, at the mercy of people who have written scripture more to enrich themselves than to give us the messages from God that they claim to know. Even though scriptures say that God id unknowable and unfathomable and his desires cannot be known.

My analysis of the bible and God does not show God to be a good father.

Do you, as a child of God, see God as a good father or as more of a deadbeat dad?

Regards
DL
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Kid with an ant farm works better than 'good father' or 'deadbeat dad'.

'Novelist' works too.
Greatest I am

Re:

Post by Greatest I am »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:40 pm Kid with an ant farm works better than 'good father' or 'deadbeat dad'.

'Novelist' works too.
What????

Kids are not nearly capable of the genocide and other antics that God is said to do.

We have no argument though buddy as I accept your view.

Regards
DL
Dubious

Re: God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth?

Post by Dubious »

Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:58 pm
Wow, amazing insight! Anything else new on planet earth that hasn't been repeated and discussed a million times / year?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

I never bother with the Bible, I'm just not interested in it. I'm not really all that interested in God either so I hope you don't ask me why I've posted on your thread, because, if you do, I won't be able to give you a sensible answer.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:39 pm I won't be able to give you a sensible answer.
At least you're consistent.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:45 pm At least you're consistent.
I see you're still ignoring my posts. :)
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

It doesn't really matter what I think, if I assume that the God of the bible exists, I don't think it would be wise to use your own moral intuitions to judge him. If we're assuming that the bible is true as a source in general, than they would say he's necessarily a benevolent being.

Having said, I've never found the problem of him 'seemingly' committing evils to be a good argument against god. The theist will usually reply with Skeptical Theism, which I find to be an even more intuitive response.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:18 pm It doesn't really matter what I think,
Me neither.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Dubious wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:24 pm
Wow, amazing insight! Anything else new on planet earth that hasn't been repeated and discussed a million times / year?
Every nail in the immoral Christian creed helps rid ourselves of it.

Do you not recognize the harm Christianity continues to do? If you do, why complain about us trying to do good for society by pointing out the immorality of the creed?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:39 pm
I never bother with the Bible, I'm just not interested in it. I'm not really all that interested in God either so I hope you don't ask me why I've posted on your thread, because, if you do, I won't be able to give you a sensible answer.
Perhaps you just recognize that for the evils of religion to grow, all good people need do is nothing.

Regards
DL
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 pm
Perhaps you just recognize that for the evils of religion to grow, all good people need do is nothing.

Regards
DL
Perhaps if people like you would stop rattling on about it it would be a good start.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:18 pm It doesn't really matter what I think, if I assume that the God of the bible exists, I don't think it would be wise to use your own moral intuitions to judge him. If we're assuming that the bible is true as a source in general, than they would say he's necessarily a benevolent being.

Having said, I've never found the problem of him 'seemingly' committing evils to be a good argument against god. The theist will usually reply with Skeptical Theism, which I find to be an even more intuitive response.
Seemingly?

Not seemingly to moral minds.

https://vimeo.com/7038401

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:05 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 pm

Regards
DL
Perhaps if people like you would stop rattling on about it it would be a good start.
That is what religions would like so that they could continue fleecing gullible sheeple.

Do your thing and I will do mine.

Regards
DL
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:07 pm

Do your thing and I will do mine.

Regards
DL
I was doing my thing.