Secular Intolerance

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: Secular Intolerance

Post by Belinda »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:13 am
Belinda wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:58 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:52 am Oh how pious and self-righteous are some on here. Perhaps they should look in the mirror and find one not so virtuous and innocent.
But it would be tedious to read preambles to every post to the effect that "Albeit I am myself far from perfectly virtuous and innocent I dare to claim AB or C." In other words we can take it as read that we are all human beings.
It takes just as much effort to say how virtuous you are and how it's always the other party at fault. And being the same species doesn't mean the same.
I suppose that posters write how virtuous their ideas are but not how virtuous they the posters are. True , some posters write bad ideas deliberately so they are devils advocates and that is useful for philosophers.

By "we are all human beings" I meant that none of us is perfectly good and virtuous.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:52 am Oh how pious and self-righteous are some on here. Perhaps they should look in the mirror and find one not so virtuous and innocent.
Well that lets me out. I still refer to twin peaks as the bustline on an attractive woman. I lack a progressive education so what do I know?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:55 am
Harbal wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:35 pmWhose ad homs haven't you experienced? Greta is one of the few people who've tried to have a reasonable conversation with you, Nick, but you do have a knack of being able to bring people to the point of exasperation. I think you're a bit too ready to jump to conclusions about people.
The trouble is that hatred and hostility are almost contagious in the way they spread through a group. So Nick has at times brought out ugly aspects of me, which is fine because I then learn more about who I am and mistakes to avoid. Even those who want to harm you ultimately help you if you keep your emotions down and head screwed on. There's a lesson in everything.

I take it not too many here have seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-88rwt4ms :)
This is classic secular intolerance. Anything that questions the supremacy of the Great Beast is by definition expressing hatred and hostility. That is why Jesus had to be killed. He was preaching hatred and hostility in the eyes of advocates for the Beast. Give us Barabbas. The Beast has spoken. Imagine yourself as a kid in school surrounded by all this secular intolerance. It must be a horror. Why not turn to drugs and gangs in the desperate need to feel meaning and purpose?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:31 pm This is classic secular intolerance.
It's lucky that you're here to point it out, I for one would have mistook it for a perfectly reasonable and decent attitude. Your ability to sniff out "secular intolerance" is truly amazing.
fooloso4

Post by fooloso4 »

Nick, if Jesus himself disagreed with you you would accuse him of secular intolerance.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

fooloso4 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:49 pm Nick, if Jesus himself disagreed with you you would accuse him of secular intolerance.
Well they say that Jesus made the little children who came to him suffer, this is a classic sign of secular intolerance.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:43 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:31 pm This is classic secular intolerance.
It's lucky that you're here to point it out, I for one would have mistook it for a perfectly reasonable and decent attitude. Your ability to sniff out "secular intolerance" is truly amazing.
It is called learning by experience. As yet I am just an annoyance. I have not yet earned the distinction of becoming known by the Great Beast as a true pain in the ass. This category is reserved for the greats.

Simone Weil’s elder brother André Weil the famous mathematician in a 1932 letter:
“It will now be I think 23 years that you made your entry into the phenomenal world to create the greatest pain in the ass for rectors and school directors.”
Simone was one of the greats. I can only be inspired by the quality of her efforts dedicated to experiential truth but alas, cannot duplicate them. They remain as a potential.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:45 pm It is called learning by experience.
I don't know where you had your experience but, seeing what it has done to you, it sounds like a place to avoid.
As yet I am just an annoyance.
There's no "just" about it, Nick, You're very good at it indeed.
I have not yet earned the distinction of becoming known by the Great Beast as a true pain in the ass.
No need to worry about that, Nick, it is very easy to ignore you when when one has had enough.
Simone Weil’s elder brother André Weil the famous mathematician
Oh, another member of the Weil family, how splendid.
Simone was one of the greats.
Oh yes, they don't make em like that anymore. It's just a shame that cosmetic surgery wasn't as accessible in her day as it is now, a bit of smartening up would have made the world of difference.
alas
Yes indeed, she may well have got away with looking like that if she'd been alad.
fooloso4

Post by fooloso4 »

Nick, if Simone Weil herself disagreed with you you would accuse her of secular intolerance.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

fooloso4 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:29 pm Nick, if Simone Weil herself disagreed with you you would accuse her of secular intolerance.
Not a clue.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

A while ago I started to add a few posts to Scott Hughes facebook page. He does seem like a nice guy. I just think he is unaware of the secular intolerance of his mods. Anyhow he asked a question and I gave the following response. He posted a "like" I know the secular intolerants here would post a dislike if possible. I have never witnessed such blind secular fundamentalism
The ancient question: “Who am I?"

From a review of Jacob needleman’s book: “I Am Not I.”

Seeking to reconcile the split between our inner child and our adult self, eminent philosopher and religious scholar Jacob Needleman evokes the ancient spiritual tradition of a deep dialogue between a guiding wisdom figure and a seeker. The elder offers an initiation to a younger self, an initiation the author feels is missing from our culture. Rendered as a stage play, the conversation between the 80-year-old author and his younger selves unfolds, and an ambiguity emerges as to whether this is strictly the author’s internal dialogue or whether the younger self may be nurturing a rebirth of the author.

On one level, I Am Not I brings younger readers (teenagers and young adults) face to face with powerful spiritual and philosophical ideas. But as the book progresses, the dialogue delves into questions and insights that carry astonishing new hope and vision for every man and woman, challenging our culture’s accepted—and often toxic—ideas about humanity’s place in a living universe.
This is poison for the secularist. The young should only be exposed to age appropriate ideas determined by the Beast and actualized through progressive education. Kids should never be allowed to experience awe and wonder without it being explained by secular intolerants. They must be taught to believe, obey, and pay the bills of the secular government that knows best. Anything other than age appropriate ideas must be condemned in the strongest possible manner. Anything else is intolerable and guilty of disturbing the peace.
davidm

Post by davidm »

I wonder if you realize that a "secularist" is someone who advocates the separation of church and state? That's it. Nothing more. Many theists are secularists.

With that in mind, why in the world would a secularist find Needleman's stuff to be "poison"?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:47 pm A while ago I started to add a few posts to Scott Hughes facebook page. He does seem like a nice guy.
Are we thinking of the same guy. I'm thinking of the sanctimonious wanker and top banana of the OPC Scott Hughes, which one are you thinking of?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

davidm wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:54 pm I wonder if you realize that a "secularist" is someone who advocates the separation of church and state? That's it. Nothing more. Many theists are secularists.

With that in mind, why in the world would a secularist find Needleman's stuff to be "poison"?
A secularist is limited to one level of reality to experience and contemplate existence. A universalist in contrast has sensed a connection between a conscious source of existence, a chain of being including Man within creation with the potential for conscious evolution. The ideas of the universalist threaten the dominance of this one level of reality creating secularism, the world, which has captured its psyche. Threatening secular dominance threatens the ego which provides their self justification and sense of meaning and purpose. It has no intention of losing its supremacy.
davidm

Post by davidm »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:11 pm
davidm wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:54 pm I wonder if you realize that a "secularist" is someone who advocates the separation of church and state? That's it. Nothing more. Many theists are secularists.

A secularist is limited to one level of reality to experience and contemplate existence. A universalist in contrast has sensed a connection between a conscious source of existence, a chain of being including Man within creation with the potential for conscious evolution. The ideas of the universalist threaten the dominance of this one level of reality creating secularism, the world, which has captured its psyche. Threatening secular dominance threatens the ego which provides their self justification and sense of meaning and purpose. It has no intention of losing its supremacy.
A secularist is someone who believes in the separation of church and state. That's it. Many theists are also secularists. Perhaps even most, in the United States.

Secularist, therefore, is not the opposite of "universalist."