Secular Intolerance

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

Re: Secular Intolerance

Post by Nick_A »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:06 pm
Nick_A wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:06 pm Here we have the queen of ad homs and supporter of secular intolerance and it spirit killing effect on the young
How do you ever expect to be taken seriously when you display stupidity of this magnitude, Nick. You couldn't be reasonable if your life depended on it.
Greta is a friend of your and I respect your loyalty but I've experienced Greta's ad homs. I also know the damaging effect of secular intolerance on young spiritually sensitive developing minds. Equating these attributes with Gandhi and King is nothing but egoistic dreaming. We have to be an impartial witness in order to experience what goes on around us without reacting by conditioned habits.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:13 pm
Greta is a friend of your and I respect your loyalty
I'm sure you don't realise it but this comment causes me more than a little embarrassment.
but I've experienced Greta's ad homs.
Whose ad homs haven't you experienced? Greta is one of the few people who've tried to have a reasonable conversation with you, Nick, but you do have a knack of being able to bring people to the point of exasperation. I think you're a bit too ready to jump to conclusions about people.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Odd that the people humans always seem to refer to when wanting to describe someone noble, good, and admirable beyond all criticism (almost invariably King, Mother Teresa, Gandhi, others?) were in reality thieves, sadists, plagiarists, philanderers, misogynists and sexual degenerates (pick which belong to whom, some more than one). Makes you wonder about Jebus. He was probably more a fish-raper than a fish-distributer.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:05 am Odd that the people humans always seem to refer to when wanting to describe someone noble, good, and admirable beyond all criticism (almost invariably King, Mother Teresa, Gandhi, others?) were in reality thieves, sadists, plagiarists, philanderers, misogynists and sexual degenerates (pick which belong to whom, some more than one). Makes you wonder about Jebus. He was probably more a fish-raper than a fish-distributer.
Though I wouldn't take it quite that far, I do agree with the sentiment. When you read the "real" story they were anything but these "incarnations" of nobility as generally accepted by the majority who haven't got the critical faculties to penetrate appearances. In most cases, including those mentioned, hypocrisy was at least as active in creating this facade as any of the "noble" tendencies they may actually have had in creating it. Of course once you have the reputation, it usually sticks unchecked in the brains of the gullible. Programmed to accept appearances as something enlightened or "models" to follow, such individuals would consider it heresy to attempt any deconstruction of such seeming sainthood.

Mentioning Mother Teresa reminds me of this little film essay by Christopher Hitchens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJG-lgmPvYA

This "in the dust humbleness" she exudes in public or before any who would honor her with gifts, donations and presents replete with all the sickening praise which accompanies it is truly disgusting to watch. As a moving picture of hypocrisy, Mother Teresa is perfection.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:35 pm
Nick_A wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:13 pm
Greta is a friend of your and I respect your loyalty
I'm sure you don't realise it but this comment causes me more than a little embarrassment.
but I've experienced Greta's ad homs.
Whose ad homs haven't you experienced? Greta is one of the few people who've tried to have a reasonable conversation with you, Nick, but you do have a knack of being able to bring people to the point of exasperation. I think you're a bit too ready to jump to conclusions about people.
Those like Greta and fooloso4 do not want to have a reasonable conversation. They want to show you the error of your ways so you can follow them into the glories of secularism as providing the answers to the age old question of human meaning and purpose. They are advocates of the King George111 philosophy which states:
“I wish nothing but good; therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor and a scoundrel.” ―George III
Obviously the scoundrels should be eliminated in one way or another for the good of society. To desire only the good. 'sigh' What a wonderful philosophy. It brings a tear to your eyes.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:06 pm
Greta wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:07 am
Nick_A wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:10 amScary stuff. Fooloso4 expresses a kind of fanaticism that would make a religious fundamentalist green with envy. I'm waiting for Greta to come and put the icing on the cake.
While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a naysayer and hatchetwoman in the fight against unreason. I pride myself in taking a hit and I'll gladly take another because I choose to live my life in the company of Gandhi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method... is love. I love you, Nick.
"I love you, Nick." The kiss of death. It reminds me of the old mafia movies and Judas' kiss.

Here we have the queen of ad homs and supporter of secular intolerance and it spirit killing effect on the young while at the same time referring to herself as living her life in the company of Gandhi and King. She claims to fight against unreason yet is unable to distinguish between the secular mindset and the universalist mindset necessary for reason to distinguish dualism from the human triune perspective. This obvious hypocrisy is called progress for the educated secular progressive. You can't write this stuff!
Nick, you clearly don't have much sense of humour, nor are you seemingly a Twin Peaks fan nor capable of noticing rhetorical variance and checking up :lol:

Seriously, it's clear to anyone where the intolerance lies, and it's not with secularism.

Nick you are clearly lost in your life and I do feel for you. You have gone to the dark side, so to speak, devoted to a life of conflict and hatred, living for the fight against those whom you so venomously detest without hope of redemption nor forgiveness. Your contempt and hatred for anyone who does not declare themselves a believer continues to be shocking to me.

I've been weak enough to give in to hatred in the past, and been lost in a way similarly to you (just that my objects of hate did a helluva lot more to me that we forumites ever did to you!). However, I do think it's worth trying to resist the call of hatred, even if just for one's own sanity's sake.
vegetariantaxidermy

Dubious wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:48 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:05 am Odd that the people humans always seem to refer to when wanting to describe someone noble, good, and admirable beyond all criticism (almost invariably King, Mother Teresa, Gandhi, others?) were in reality thieves, sadists, plagiarists, philanderers, misogynists and sexual degenerates (pick which belong to whom, some more than one). Makes you wonder about Jebus. He was probably more a fish-raper than a fish-distributer.
Though I wouldn't take it quite that far, I do agree with the sentiment. When you read the "real" story they were anything but these "incarnations" of nobility as generally accepted by the majority who haven't got the critical faculties to penetrate appearances. In most cases, including those mentioned, hypocrisy was at least as active in creating this facade as any of the "noble" tendencies they may actually have had in creating it. Of course once you have the reputation, it usually sticks unchecked in the brains of the gullible. Programmed to accept appearances as something enlightened or "models" to follow, such individuals would consider it heresy to attempt any deconstruction of such seeming sainthood.

Mentioning Mother Teresa reminds me of this little film essay by Christopher Hitchens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJG-lgmPvYA

This "in the dust humbleness" she exudes in public or before any who would honor her with gifts, donations and presents replete with all the sickening praise which accompanies it is truly disgusting to watch. As a moving picture of hypocrisy, Mother Teresa is perfection.
I wasn't exaggerating.
Mother Teresa is the biggest mystery. You only have to think about all the millions donated to her then look at photos of her 'patients', packed in like sardines, practically lying on the floor. She withheld treatment to people who could otherwise have lived. India is a modern country. She could have built a modern hospital with the best facilities. Instead she preached against abortion and contraception and advocated for abstinence.
What did she do with all that money? Notice that when she was ailing she made use of American hospitals, receiving the best care. Apparently her own 'hospital' wasn't good enough for her.
'' “There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion,” Mother Teresa said. “The world gains much from their suffering.”

When it came to her own suffering, however, Mother Teresa took a different stance. The ailing altruist received care for her failing heart in a modern American hospital. ''
A truly vile woman.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:35 pmWhose ad homs haven't you experienced? Greta is one of the few people who've tried to have a reasonable conversation with you, Nick, but you do have a knack of being able to bring people to the point of exasperation. I think you're a bit too ready to jump to conclusions about people.
The trouble is that hatred and hostility are almost contagious in the way they spread through a group. So Nick has at times brought out ugly aspects of me, which is fine because I then learn more about who I am and mistakes to avoid. Even those who want to harm you ultimately help you if you keep your emotions down and head screwed on. There's a lesson in everything.

I take it not too many here have seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-88rwt4ms :)
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:50 am
When it came to her own suffering, however, Mother Teresa took a different stance. The ailing altruist received care for her failing heart in a modern American hospital. ''
A truly vile woman.
Now, now! That's no way to talk about Saint Teresa especially after the two required prearranged miracles confirmed her eligibility. What's truly vile are the plethora of super idiots who accept it as given, advertised and propagandized. For most, appearances and reputation is literally all that matters.
vegetariantaxidermy

Oh how pious and self-righteous are some on here. Perhaps they should look in the mirror and find one not so virtuous and innocent.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:52 am Oh how pious and self-righteous are some on here. Perhaps they should look in the mirror and find one not so virtuous and innocent.
But it would be tedious to read preambles to every post to the effect that "Albeit I am myself far from perfectly virtuous and innocent I dare to claim AB or C." In other words we can take it as read that we are all human beings.
vegetariantaxidermy

Belinda wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:58 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:52 am Oh how pious and self-righteous are some on here. Perhaps they should look in the mirror and find one not so virtuous and innocent.
But it would be tedious to read preambles to every post to the effect that "Albeit I am myself far from perfectly virtuous and innocent I dare to claim AB or C." In other words we can take it as read that we are all human beings.
It takes just as much effort to say how virtuous you are and how it's always the other party at fault. And being the same species doesn't mean the same.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dubious wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:28 am For most, appearances and reputation is literally all that matters.
I think most paragons would fail to stand up to close scrutiny. Some of us seem compelled to invest superhumanity in our heroes, especially after they're dead.
Greta

Post by Greta »

I would just like to chat about things with people without all this hostility and aggression and without being hounded around the internet.
vegetariantaxidermy

Yes expecting perfection is silly, but being portrayed as (literally) a saint while in fact being a thieving, murderous charlatan and hypocrite who takes pleasure in the suffering of others is rather on the extreme side. Gandhi: another 'saint' who preached celibacy while insisting that young naked girls sleep with him every night (including his own grand niece). Apparently this was to 'test his restraint'. BWHAAAHAHA!!!