Is the term "redneck" politically correct ?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Re: Is the term "redneck" politically correct ?

Post by duszek »

Let me try to formulate the initial question anew:

Is it fair to use such an insulting term as "redneck" if one wishes peace to prevail in the world ?
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

duszek wrote:Let me try to formulate the initial question anew:

Is it fair to use such an insulting term as "redneck" if one wishes peace to prevail in the world ?
Are you preparing for a Beauty Queen speech ?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Is it 'socially acceptable' to 'verbally abuse' anyone? This is PC to a T. ...
Felt like it used to be and doesn't quite feel the same way nowadays. Although times appear to be aheading back from what little I can see and hear.
And do I now have to waste more time explaining what 'jargon' is? ...
SJW or 'social justice warrior' is what?
This is pathetic. Sorry, but 'relativism' doesn't extend to 'anything goes with word meanings, depending on who's using the word and what they want it to mean'. That's American stupiding down, and I'm having no part of it.
And yet you are using a term like 'politically correct' differently from what it originally was in the C18th due to a quote from the 70s and differently from the 70s quote?
What is the alternative to 'SJW'? Jargon is when you use words and phrases (often in metaphors) to say something that could more easily be said in plain language. Are we in the same ball park? Translation: Do you agree?
I suspect that the only reason you refuse to acknowledge what people mean by PC is because you feel uncomfortable confronting yourself. When someone says 'mad hatter' do you think they are talking about someone who makes hats? Or that 'butter up' is referring to an old Indian custom of throwing butter balls at religious icons in order to curry favour? 'Politically Correct' isn't a 'word', it's a highly descriptive term for which there is no alternative (the American 'lefty libtard' doesn't cut it and leaves no way of describing those (rare) individuals who really are liberal and rational. The poor sods seem to think that 'left wing' is a synonym for liberal). I suppose a comparison would be the way in which occupational safety and health departments have gone overboard and morphed into an overly-zealous nanny/mother figure. Yes, people did have insanely dangerous working conditions, but is that any reason to make it law that a full scaffolding must be erected for even the tiniest job that involves getting on a roof (any house roof) with all the extra cost that involves, ironically making things a lot MORE dangerous for homeowners who can't afford it then attempt to do it themselves and promptly fall off? Work Safety depts. don't give a damn about that because they are pen-pushers who aren't paid to think, only to follow rules. It's the same 'logic' that deprives ALL children of the fun of tree climbing because inevitably SOMEONE is going to fall out of a tree and get hurt. Clearly 'work safety' doesn't extend to preventing hearing loss in both workers and members of the public. The supermarket I go to emits an eardrum-shattering series of shrill and piercing 'beeping' noises every few minutes. The reason? The tags on clothing apparently trigger the shoplifter alarm by the doors. Of course, this renders the said 'alarm' completely useless (I have never once seen anyone running after a fleeing thief after the stupid thing has gone off), so the offensive noise is entirely without a point or a use except to probably deafen young babies (the most vulnerable to that kind of noise) and inflict permanent hearing damage on the rest of us.
And if you can give me a clearer and more succinct alternative to SJW and PC then please let me know.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Thu May 11, 2017 1:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

duszek wrote:Let me try to formulate the initial question anew:

I thought it meant a particularly low brow and racist American from the South. I didn't think it applied to Southerners in general. I wouldn't have thought of Bill Clinton as a 'redneck' (red face perhaps :) )
ForCruxSake

Re: a redneck weighs in

Post by ForCruxSake »

henry quirk wrote:"Is the term "redneck" politically correct?"

As PC is manure foisted by certain, overbearing types to shame others and get them to think 'acceptably', I can't imagine why any sensible, self-directing person would give a shit.
I agree there are times when PC is overbearing, simplistic, unnecessary guidance, but you seem to be assuming most people who are challenged by those they derrogatively call PC, are sensible and self-directing. What if they're not?

Whilst 'speaking up' seems to be decried as PC, or largely goes unheard, in this day and age, if no one speaks up, nothing changes, and a bunch of bastards get to do bastardly things.
vegetariantaxidermy

And so selective about whom they 'speak up ' for.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Harbal wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:it is coming across as cerebral Tourette's.
What other kind of Tourette's is there? Abdominal Tourette's? Cardiac Tourette's? Can you get it in your foot?
I meant cerebral as related to the 'intellect', and the uncontrollable need to repeat an idea excessively.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... h/cerebral

Tourette's is neurological rather than simply cerebral. It's never usually referred to as cerebral. And there are different forms of Tourette's. Motor. Vocal. The 'sweary' kind even has its own name: 'coprolalia'. So yes, there are different kinds of Tourette's.

Hope that answers your question.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

ForCruxSake wrote: Hope that answers your question.
It was a rhetorical question and I think it was bad mannered of you to answer it. You know very well I was just being obstructive in an immature fashion, I'll thank you not to treat me like someone who has something constructive to contribute..
henry quirk

"a bunch of bastards get to do bastardly things"

Post by henry quirk »

Which, being bastids, they're gonna do anyway, no matter how many non-bastids speak up or stand up.

Bastids don't give a flip about shifting/shifty cultural conventions...such folks are gonna call a spade a spade (or a jigaboo) no matter what.
ForCruxSake

Re: "a bunch of bastards get to do bastardly things"

Post by ForCruxSake »

henry quirk wrote:Which, being bastids, they're gonna do anyway, no matter how many non-bastids speak up or stand up.

Bastids don't give a flip about shifting/shifty cultural conventions...such folks are gonna call a spade a spade (or a jigaboo) no matter what.
Not always. Some may be put off by the threat of a fine or an ASBO (anti-social behaviour order). Worst case scenario they could be prosecuted in the UK, for 'racially aggravated public disorder', low level misdemeanour, but gives you a criminal record nonetheless.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Then they ain't bastids.
ForCruxSake

Re:

Post by ForCruxSake »

henry quirk wrote:Then they ain't bastids.
I don't follow your logic.
Harbal

Re: Re:

Post by Harbal »

ForCruxSake wrote:
henry quirk wrote:Then they ain't bastids.
I don't follow your logic.
Henry's logic is not something you follow, you just kind of feel it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Any bastid who lets the threat of reprisal (legal or otherwise) shut his mouth is no bastid.

You 'follow'?

And: anyone lookin' to feel me up is gonna get busted in the chops.
Harbal

Re:

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote: And: anyone lookin' to feel me up is gonna get busted in the chops.
I wouldn't have the slightest doubt about that, henri. Whatever you say is okay with me, since you confirmed I wasn't a troll. Nuff said?