Hi I'm new too.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Hi I'm new too.

Post by Harbal »

uwot wrote: All the other week old consciousnesses 'you' are mingling with, up in 'heaven', somewhere outside the heliosphere.
Well I just hope my previous consciousnesses are behaving properly and not "mingling" inappropriately up there, I don't want them doing anything to embarrass me.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

uwot wrote:
Harbal wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: Not as ridiculous as concepts of Heaven and Hell, with their winged angels or cloven footed demons... and how many millions of people believe in that?! Now that is a joke.
So what's the point of replacing it with another one?
It's less of a joke than you might think, Harbal. Whatever the truth about consciousness, it's likely to be some version of one of two possibilities. Either the mind is something separate from the physical universe, in which case, all bets are off and you can make up any old rubbish, while you wait for the gods to reveal themselves. On the other hand, it is entirely possible that consciousness is a product of the 'natural' world and that it is subject to the same rules as everything else. If that's the case, then it is conceivable that your 'mind' is the field associated with the material state of your brain. There are some very sophisticated machines that image the electric and magnetic fields generated by brain activity. The results are crude and utterly inconclusive, but even though they are incredibly weak, they are still fields and like all fields they propagate through space, more or less indefinitely; even after the object responsible for the field has broken or blown up, as in the case of a light bulb or star. Or died which is what happens to brains.
This is what I was saying. Or trying to say. Thank you for re-expressing it well, in a way that those who can only reason scientifically, might understand.
uwot wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:Because in the absence of evidenced truth, there's still room for ideas, however palpable or unpalatable. The joy of being human, is that you can choose an idea based simply on its beauty and relevance to you.
True enough. If it pleases you to think your consciousness survives physical death, then physics doesn't rule it out.
I wasn't referring to 'consciousness' in its live 'self aware' state, as such, but there isn't yet a word for the field of energy that surrounds us as living beings, in our conscious state, is there? I look forward to using it if caught in a similar semantic jam.

I was being incorrectly, and mockingly, paraphrased by Hobbes' as saying that the dead brain emits light. I said I was talking about 'conciousness'', but meant the energy emitted by those who are conscious. Who knows the implications of how it would manifest itself, or how it could be harnessed to continue on? I didn't even confess to believing it. I just thought the idea poetic.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Harbal wrote:
uwot wrote: All the other week old consciousnesses 'you' are mingling with, up in 'heaven', somewhere outside the heliosphere.
Well I just hope my previous consciousnesses are behaving properly and not "mingling" inappropriately up there, I don't want them doing anything to embarrass me.
It's you. How else would they be behaving?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Uwot wrote:
uwot wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
Because in the absence of evidenced truth, there's still room for ideas, however palpable or unpalatable. The joy of being human, is that you can choose an idea based simply on its beauty and relevance to you.

True enough. If it pleases you to think your consciousness survives physical death, then physics doesn't rule it out.
But why presume that ForCruxSake's ideas besides creative are also irrational?
uwot

Post by uwot »

Belinda wrote:But why presume that ForCruxSake's ideas besides creative are also irrational?
Beats me. Ask someone who does.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

uwot wrote:... it is conceivable that your 'mind' is the field associated with the material state of your brain. There are some very sophisticated machines that image the electric and magnetic fields generated by brain activity. The results are crude and utterly inconclusive, but even though they are incredibly weak, they are still fields and like all fields they propagate through space, more or less indefinitely; even after the object responsible for the field has broken or blown up, as in the case of a light bulb or star. Or died which is what happens to brains.
In which case it is conceivable that your mind is a projection or recording of your life and even of your dreams! It completes when you die but the recording in theory subsists however tenuous. Assuming that all brains operate at distinct frequencies to create individual sets of these "mind" recordings, it's not too inconceivable that one can hypothetically tune into these brain generated mind fields...and that's pretty well what it is since for many of us non-theists it's too late to get virtuous!

Methinks I should have speculated on this possible scenario much, much sooner! Woe is me! :shock:
uwot

Post by uwot »

Dubious wrote:Methinks I should have speculated on this possible scenario much, much sooner! Woe is me! :shock:
Relax. If it ever happens, complete nutjobs apart, I suspect we'll all discover that we're just as crazy as everyone else.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

uwot wrote:
Dubious wrote:Methinks I should have speculated on this possible scenario much, much sooner! Woe is me! :shock:
Relax. If it ever happens, complete nutjobs apart, I suspect we'll all discover that we're just as crazy as everyone else.
Anyone from the far outside, whom we haven't met yet, looking in would probably come to the same common denominator conclusion...which may be the reason that though they may be receiving signals they're not planning to send any back.