Do you have an open mind?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Yes I do
33%
No I don't
33%
I'm undecided
33%

Total votes: 6

Philosophy Explorer

Postby Philosophy Explorer » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:00 pm

I always try to be fair-minded, but that's not the same thing.

Were you always open- or close-minded or did you change in midstream, perhaps several times? If open-minded, what do you do to maintain that state?

A poll should be revealing.

PhilX
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtf

Re: Do you have an open mind?

Postby wtf » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:49 am

Yes, things fall out faster than I can put them back in.

Philosophy Explorer

Postby Philosophy Explorer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:54 am

wtf wrote:Yes, things fall out faster than I can put them back in.

Don't leave it open or you will lose your mind.

PhilX

ken

Postby ken » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:47 am

"Do you have an open mind?" is a very open-ended question. This is because the definition of 'mind' is not generally accepted nor even known by most people. Just ask the question, "What is the 'mind'?" and see how many differing and conflicting answers you get.

What you mean by 'mind' could be very different to what I, for example, mean by 'mind'. Your question is a bit like asking, "Does God exist?" without ever stipulating what is meant by 'God' first. How an individual defines 'Mind' or 'God' has huge influence if one has an open mind or not, of if God exists or not, for example.

Of course what is generally accepted as an 'open mind' is known, but if a person is really open, then they would wonder, and thus question, "What is the 'mind' really, and how does a person have one or not?

Now, My answer to your question is there is a Mind, which is always open by the way, whether a person uses that or not is another matter.

To Me, people can either look at things from a truly open (and objective) perspective or from a truly closed (and subjective) perspective, or from anywhere in between.

A person can look from either the (truly open) Mind or look from the brain, or they can look from both. How this is possible is seen and known after discovering and/or learning how the Mind and the brain actually work.

Skip

Postby Skip » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:01 am

I'm old enough to have a pretty nearly complete stable. I trade a horse only after grave and careful considerations; I let none escape or be eaten by wolves, and I corral a new mustang only rarely, if he's worth the effort.

Vendetta

Postby Vendetta » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Open-mindedness is harder than it looks, as it isn't just being accepting of all ideas, but it's being accepting of ALL ideas. This means that even when someone proposes something wildly unethical and absurd, you are still able to withhold judgement and objectively consider what their stance is and why they may have come to that conclusion. This is hard for most people to do, as when once holds a strong stance on something, it is difficult to stop and consider why one may disagree.
Of course, this doesn't mean that you have to agree with them.
I think this is crucial in philosophy, as in order for us to get somewhere, we have to view problems from all possible angles.
You need to bring in the person that thinks that women are the scum of the earth, as well as the one who believes they are the foundation upon which it runs.
Remember. It is not you versus eachother, but both of you versus the issue.

Walker

Postby Walker » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:03 pm

I thought it meant consideration of all ideas.

Arising_uk

Postby Arising_uk » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Ooo! Look!! We agree!!! Although I'd add an 'open mind' also means a willingness to change it as well.

Return to “Philosophy of Mind”