Hi I'm new too.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: Hi I'm new too.

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

thedoc wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Or are you just dedicated to making fatuous comments?
Yes.
That explains everything.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

David Swift wrote: Perhaps I’ll take Hobbes’ Choices advice and outline the argument between the Epicurean and Hippocratic visions of mind. .
Should I hold my breath?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Or are you just dedicated to making fatuous comments?
Yes.
That explains everything.
You may ignore me, till you have nothing else to be hostile about.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

ForCruxSake wrote:
David Swift wrote:As to the effect of language. I understand that it's impossible to take the blame for your mistakes in Spanish, objects are thought to have broken themselves, and there is no way to state equal status in German, everyone else is either above or below you. I speak neither language, but if true would explain much of history.
This is so good, it's quotable!

My son is studying Spanish at school. No such luck for him, he constantly has to accept blame for the mistakes he makes. These are usually expressed in poor marks! :lol:
When I was in school, i'm sure my teachers wore out several red pencils. It seemed they were more interested in finding mistakes than teaching how to do it.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

thedoc wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
David Swift wrote:As to the effect of language. I understand that it's impossible to take the blame for your mistakes in Spanish, objects are thought to have broken themselves, and there is no way to state equal status in German, everyone else is either above or below you. I speak neither language, but if true would explain much of history.

My son is studying Spanish at school. No such luck for him, he constantly has to accept blame for the mistakes he makes. These are usually expressed in poor marks! :lol:
When I was in school, i'm sure my teachers wore out several red pencils. It seemed they were more interested in finding mistakes than teaching how to do it.
How terrible! I'm hope you defied them all and went on to do well. :)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

ForCruxSake wrote:
thedoc wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: This is so good, it's quotable!

How terrible! I'm hope you defied them all and went on to do well. :)
I'm not wealthy, but I retired OK. My college and personal interest made several options possible. When I was in HS and college I was aware that my teachers didn't know as much as they thought they did. When I quit teaching and got out into industry, I found out that most of what I was taught, that I was supposed to teach in school, was wrong. I would have done OK if I could have just done my job, but I wasn't very good at handling office politics, I tended to piss people off by saying what I thought.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

The Doc wrote:
I would have done OK if I could have just done my job, but I wasn't very good at handling office politics, I tended to piss people off by saying what I thought.
I'd have seconded you for management.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

thedoc wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:

These days teachers use GREEN, because they think red is too aggressive and looks nasty - I kid you not.
What they do not understand is that every red (or green mark) is THEIR failure, not the child's
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
thedoc wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: This is so good, it's quotable!

These days teachers use GREEN, because they think red is too aggressive and looks nasty - I kid you not.
What they do not understand is that every red (or green mark) is THEIR failure, not the child's
So true, Hobbes'!

I remember years ago when the GP and dental practises around our way, went on a splurge, decorating their waiting rooms in green, as it was psychologically 'certified' to be a more relaxing colour. I wonder that getting a fail in green is easier to accept, as you are relaxed by its colour? :lol:
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Belinda wrote:The Doc wrote:
I would have done OK if I could have just done my job, but I wasn't very good at handling office politics, I tended to piss people off by saying what I thought.
I'd have 'thirded' you! :D
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

ForCruxSake wrote:
That is exactly what I didn't want. When I was working as a draftsman, or in a machine shop, all I wanted to do was to produce something, I had no interest in telling other people what to do. When I was in college, I read "The Peter Principle" and I had determined that once I found something that I enjoyed doing, I would resist the possibility of advancing to the point that I could no longer function. Once while working as a draftsman, I had an evaluation by my supervisor and one of the questions was "To what do you aspire" and I told him that I was happy where I was and didn't want to advance. He insisted that we couldn't put that down where a superior would see it, so he wrote that I aspired to be a technician, which was false but he insisted that we had to put it down.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

thedoc wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
That is exactly what I didn't want. When I was working as a draftsman, or in a machine shop, all I wanted to do was to produce something, I had no interest in telling other people what to do. When I was in college, I read "The Peter Principle" and I had determined that once I found something that I enjoyed doing, I would resist the possibility of advancing to the point that I could no longer function. Once while working as a draftsman, I had an evaluation by my supervisor and one of the questions was "To what do you aspire" and I told him that I was happy where I was and didn't want to advance. He insisted that we couldn't put that down where a superior would see it, so he wrote that I aspired to be a technician, which was false but he insisted that we had to put it down.
Often the best person for a management job is not the power hungry, money grubbing alpha male/female but the person who can relate to the others in his team and pull them together, to maximum efficacy. Don't know you well enough to suggest you might have been good enough, but you seem alright to me. Respectful of others. Not hitting others over the head with your take on life. You're OK. :)

You should have told him you wanted to be a 'Power Ranger' and got full paid leave for being mentally ill! ;)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

ForCruxSake wrote: Often the best person for a management job is not the power hungry, money grubbing alpha male/female but the person who can relate to the others in his team and pull them together, to maximum efficacy. Don't know you well enough to suggest you might have been good enough, but you seem alright to me. Respectful of others. Not hitting others over the head with your take on life. You're OK. :)

You should have told him you wanted to be a 'Power Ranger' and got full paid leave for being mentally ill! ;)
Thankyou, I have often said that those who want political office, shouldn't have it, and those who should be in office, don't want it. That seems to be the biggest problem with politics.

The only problem with being labeled "mentally ill" is that they might want to put you in a hospital for safety, your's and everyone else's.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
thedoc wrote:

So true, Hobbes'!

I remember years ago when the GP and dental practises around our way, went on a splurge, decorating their waiting rooms in green, as it was psychologically 'certified' to be a more relaxing colour. I wonder that getting a fail in green is easier to accept, as you are relaxed by its colour? :lol:
There was an attempt by to paint police cells and prisons psychologically pleasing colours too. After a while the new colours just became associated with hateful places and everything was back to square one. Turns out that it's what happens in those places that give people the chills, and what what colour they are painted - who'd have thought???
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

David Swift wrote:Immanuel Can: I believe we are on opposite sides of this debate. I’m a scientific materialist. The Epicurean concept sees the mind as a system of organs, much like the digestive system. It includes the brain, nerves, sense organs, and muscles. It functions as a behavior selection or control system. The mind as a function of the soul comes to us through Plotinus, the Roman Platonist, and St. Augustine. Like I said, I’m a materialist, but glad to listen to any argument you might care to make.
Stick around for a few weeks and you'll become painfully aware of the folly of that last statement.