uwot's new blog

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

uwot's new blog

Post by uwot »

Finally got round to tarting up my blog (actually, I started afresh). The first two posts are here: http://willijbouwman.blogspot.co.uk Bit of Big Bang and atoms and stuff. Coming up: quantum mechanics and relativity. Easy peasy.
Arising_uk

Re: uwot's new blog

Post by Arising_uk »

Nice.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

It is nice to see that you have contradicted yourself...:

"Everything we can see is made of atoms." .. and "It's actually impossible to be certain what the universe is made of."

It highlights the distinction between science and philosophy.
uwot

Post by uwot »

A_Seagull wrote:It is nice to see that you have contradicted yourself...:

"Everything we can see is made of atoms." .. and "It's actually impossible to be certain what the universe is made of."

It highlights the distinction between science and philosophy.
Well, the thing is, the universe isn't only made of atoms; just the bits we can see.
Greta

Post by Greta »

So far I'm enjoying your ground-up systematic approach. Will keep reading.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

It would be relevant to apply the scale of the Atom, that there's so must vast space of nothingness between nucleus and electron, why matter can be squeezed so much. Earth can be squeezed into a peanut sized object.
Also that Electrons has a pattern and Atoms has up, mid and down spin.

Don't really understand the point of all this, since I think it's mandatory school teachings.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Arising_uk wrote:Nice.
Cheers.
Greta wrote:So far I'm enjoying your ground-up systematic approach. Will keep reading.
Thank you. Please feel free to comment or criticise.
HexHammer wrote:It would be relevant to apply the scale of the Atom, that there's so must vast space of nothingness between nucleus and electron, why matter can be squeezed so much. Earth can be squeezed into a peanut sized object.
Thank you. I may well include that in the final draft.
HexHammer wrote:Also that Electrons has a pattern and Atoms has up, mid and down spin.
I'm working on it.
HexHammer wrote:Don't really understand the point of all this, since I think it's mandatory school teachings.
Not everyone had your stellar level of education.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Just added another bit on photons; what they are and what they do. Usual place: http://willijbouwman.blogspot.co.uk
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Beautiful - and informative - pictures.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Londoner wrote:Beautiful - and informative - pictures.
Thanks. Very kind of you to say so.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

uwot wrote:
HexHammer wrote:It would be relevant to apply the scale of the Atom, that there's so must vast space of nothingness between nucleus and electron, why matter can be squeezed so much. Earth can be squeezed into a peanut sized object.
Thank you. I may well include that in the final draft.
HexHammer wrote:Also that Electrons has a pattern and Atoms has up, mid and down spin.
I'm working on it.
HexHammer wrote:Don't really understand the point of all this, since I think it's mandatory school teachings.
Not everyone had your stellar level of education.
Thanks for listening to reason.
I think you misunderstood what I said, the things I added isn't taught in basic school here in Denmark, but it's advanced knowledge.

I said I don't understand why you would teach basic things, and not advanced things.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

uwot wrote:Finally got round to tarting up my blog (actually, I started afresh). The first two posts are here: http://willijbouwman.blogspot.co.uk Bit of Big Bang and atoms and stuff. Coming up: quantum mechanics and relativity. Easy peasy.
Good luck with your blog! I love the illustrations - very clear and colourful.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

uwot wrote:Finally got round to tarting up my blog (actually, I started afresh). The first two posts are here: http://willijbouwman.blogspot.co.uk Bit of Big Bang and atoms and stuff. Coming up: quantum mechanics and relativity. Easy peasy.
Just started reading your new blog and it is fantastic so far! Although it's really easy, (i.e the head bone's connected to the neck bone....lol) you still have to have somewhat of a memory to follow along.

That being said, why don't you instead invent that thing they had in the movie, 'The Matrix", where one could download the lesson into their brain and be done with it!

That would be very helpful...thanks...lol.

P.S. SOS...please help me! I am being held hostage by a tall orange man in a clown suit. I have been sucked into an alternative universe/reality TV show where the majority of people surrounding me believe "alternative facts" are a legitimate science.

I don't know if I can survive., they seem hell bent on destruction. I have lost all hope.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Well done uwot! - big improvement - looks professional, which is amazing when you think about it. :D

Definitely will spend my next time allotment for sciency stuff on your site.
uwot

Post by uwot »

RickLewis wrote:Good luck with your blog! I love the illustrations - very clear and colourful.
Thanks Rick. It's really a draft for a book; the second part of which is going through all the characters who were responsible for the ideas. It's history, so it's meat and potatoes to me. Glad you like the pics. I'm going to pick Rian's brains for the book illustrations, and he's bleeding' good at it.

artisticsolution wrote:Just started reading your new blog and it is fantastic so far! Although it's really easy, (i.e the head bone's connected to the neck bone....lol) you still have to have somewhat of a memory to follow along.
Thank you. I have taken your point about remembering stuff and have tried to incorporate it into the latest post on Prisms. Let me know if it works.
artisticsolution wrote:That being said, why don't you instead invent that thing they had in the movie, 'The Matrix", where one could download the lesson into their brain and be done with it!

That would be very helpful...thanks...lol.
I think I've got one in a box of other gizmos I don't know how to use.
artisticsolution wrote:P.S. SOS...please help me! I am being held hostage by a tall orange man in a clown suit. I have been sucked into an alternative universe/reality TV show where the majority of people surrounding me believe "alternative facts" are a legitimate science.

I don't know if I can survive., they seem hell bent on destruction. I have lost all hope.
With any luck, if you pinch yourself in four years time, it will all have been a bad dream.
attofishpi wrote:Well done uwot! - big improvement - looks professional...
Thank you.
attofishpi wrote:...which is amazing when you think about it. :D
Well yes, given that I'm such a shambles, I've surprised even me.