New here.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: New here.

Post by thedoc »

FYI, the posts here range from the very philosophically technical to the more plain English. I tend to skim over the more technical, and look for the more plain English. I thought it was rather funny, in college I took Phil 101, the only philosophy course in my schedule, and after one class I was explaining Subjectivism and Objectivism to another student. What was funny was that I was an Industrial Arts major, but I had read a lot of philosophy, and the other student claimed that she wanted to major in philosophy. One of her comments after I had explained Subjectivism was "You mean people actually believe that?" Of course that was many years ago and at the time the professor explained it as the belief that nothing existed outside of his mind.
Interjectivist

Post by Interjectivist »

thedoc wrote:FYI, the posts here range from the very philosophically technical to the more plain English. I tend to skim over the more technical, and look for the more plain English. I thought it was rather funny, in college I took Phil 101, the only philosophy course in my schedule, and after one class I was explaining Subjectivism and Objectivism to another student. What was funny was that I was an Industrial Arts major, but I had read a lot of philosophy, and the other student claimed that she wanted to major in philosophy. One of her comments after I had explained Subjectivism was "You mean people actually believe that?" Of course that was many years ago and at the time the professor explained it as the belief that nothing existed outside of his mind.

Of course one can be a subjectivist in regards to moral reasons without being a solipsist. Can't think of very many philosophical polarities where one pole is to be preferred over striking a balance between the two.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
TSBU wrote:Image
This just about sums up the US
It really does, doesn't it. :shock:
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
TSBU wrote:Image
Wow! where can I get a dog like that?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
If they can breed a dog to fit in a pocket or be hairless, I'm sure they can breed unstable, gun-toting thug dogs as well, doc. If you find one, dibs on the first puppy. :wink:

On second thought, I want a twitchy cat who can handle itself in a knife fight lol.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: It really does, doesn't it. :shock:
If they can breed a dog to fit in a pocket or be hairless, I'm sure they can breed unstable, gun-toting thug dogs as well, doc. If you find one, dibs on the first puppy. :wink:
I'll try, but I have a question, if I own the dog, and the dog has a gun, could that be construed as me owning a gun? That could be a problem.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote: On second thought, I want a twitchy cat who can handle itself in a knife fight lol.
I think they are called Lions or Tigers, good luck with that.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
thedoc wrote:
I'll try, but I have a question, if I own the dog, and the dog has a gun, could that be construed as me owning a gun? That could be a problem.
Just don't give it an automatic weapon. Should be fine. But please, be a good neighbour and pick up the poop, will you?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: On second thought, I want a twitchy cat who can handle itself in a knife fight lol.
I think they are called Lions or Tigers, good luck with that.
Goodbye kitty... :cry:
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

thedoc wrote:if I own the dog, and the dog has a gun, could that be construed as me owning a gun? That could be a problem.
Are you not allowed to own a gun, doc?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: If they can breed a dog to fit in a pocket or be hairless, I'm sure they can breed unstable, gun-toting thug dogs as well, doc. If you find one, dibs on the first puppy. :wink:
Just don't give it an automatic weapon. Should be fine. But please, be a good neighbour and pick up the poop, will you?
I have just over 2 acres in the woods, so the neighbors don't complain, they don't even notice.

Right now we are keeping our daughters 65 Lb. Pit Bull, so she's almost as good. She's funny, she will bark at strangers who come on the property, and all the time is looking for me to come out to see what she's barking at. She's very ferocious when she's standing behind me.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Lacewing wrote:
thedoc wrote:if I own the dog, and the dog has a gun, could that be construed as me owning a gun? That could be a problem.
Are you not allowed to own a gun, doc?
Nope. I had some legal issues a few years ago, and that was part of the outcome.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

thedoc wrote:
Lacewing wrote:Are you not allowed to own a gun, doc?
Nope. I had some legal issues a few years ago, and that was part of the outcome.
Did you readily admit your guilt and turn yourself in because you are a moral theist... or did they have to catch you? 8)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Lacewing wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Lacewing wrote:Are you not allowed to own a gun, doc?
Did you readily admit your guilt and turn yourself in because you are a moral theist... or did they have to catch you? 8)
You have your private messages disabled.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

thedoc wrote:
Lacewing wrote:Did you readily admit your guilt and turn yourself in because you are a moral theist... or did they have to catch you? 8)
You have your private messages disabled.
Yes, I do. I prefer to stay above the covers. :) Whatever you have to say, doc... you can say it in front of everyone here. It won't go any further!

I was only asking because of the comment you(?) made elsewhere about theists turning themselves in and admitting their guilt, and that's why there are more of them in prisons?