Justifying taxation and the state, also a PhD thesis

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Daniel McKay

Re: Justifying taxation and the state, also a PhD thesis

Post by Daniel McKay »

The extent to which states are obligated to look for problems to solve and how much they can be justified in taking from us in order to do so is interesting. Could be worth discussing... maybe in the objections chapter rather than this one, but could be interesting. PM me with how you'd like to be referenced so that if I do discuss this, I can reference you properly.

Thank you.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Dead links in the OP.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Daniel McKay wrote: A short introduction to what my theory is:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B00h0 ... G9GbzJQRHM

A chapter on justifying the state and taxation:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B00h0 ... G5FeGZ1NUU
Incomplete links
Daniel McKay

Post by Daniel McKay »

Yeah sorry the links broke. I posted new ones that should be working currently in a later post. I will amend OP now to reflect this.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

The function of government is the protection of property and personal freedom, and keeping people from running into each other like a cop directing traffic. The ultimate source of taxation to cover this function is property, and any other type of government tax or fee can be traced back to property. Therefore, the only proper form of taxation is cutting to the chase and taxing property directly.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

bobevenson wrote:The function of government is the protection of property and personal freedom, and keeping people from running into each other like a cop directing traffic. The ultimate source of taxation to cover this function is property, and any other type of government tax or fee can be traced back to property. Therefore, the only proper form of taxation is cutting to the chase and taxing property directly.
Says a man who never owned a house.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

What makes a tax on all property proper as opposed to, let's say, an income tax, is that an income tax only taxes currently produced property, not all existing property, which is the only proper form of taxation. Since all property is taxed under AEP theory, the tax rate will be extremely low.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Not again.

If you want to see how his thoughts go and the end result DMac just click here,

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18929

If you can think of something that hasn't been said then feel free to engage with one of our resident loons but it doesn't get pretty if you raise any valid points.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

I had a concise argument on taxation that I wanted David McKay to critique, but the forces that be just deleted everything, and left your crap alone.