Most American CEOs Should be Indicted for Grand Larceny

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Most American CEOs Should be Indicted for Grand Larceny

Post by bobevenson »

Anytime a corporation makes a charitable contribution of any kind that does not directly increase profits by at least the same amount, it is committing a double felony, 1) grand larceny by stealing money from shareholders and 2) grand larceny by stealing money from the American taxpayer in the form of a tax exemption not authorized by the U.S. Constitution.
Wyman

Re: Most American CEOs Should be Indicted for Grand Larceny

Post by Wyman »

As someone who practiced criminal law for some time, I would like to point out the error in your post. Criminal laws are set by statute, with some exceptions. No statute makes the conduct you mention 'Grand Larceny.' Therefore, you are wrong - as lawyers like to put it - 'as a matter of law.'

As for the merits of you statement otherwise, you may petition your local state legislature for a change in the statutes. Your welcome. My legal advice in your case is pro bono.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

I'm merely stating that the CEOs of these corporations are fundamentally criminals whether or not they have broken any legal statutes.
MatejValuch

Post by MatejValuch »

If you speak about big "corporation", than it's not a CEO, but the BOD that makes a decision about charitable contributions, and so the CEO is not there to blame.
If you speak about "small" corporations, than probably the CEO is the only "shareholder", and so he harms only his own profit when a decision is taken to donate to charity. That can hardly be considered as a crime.
But with the taxpayers, you made some interesting point...
bobevenson wrote:I'm merely stating that the CEOs of these corporations are fundamentally criminals whether or not they have broken any legal statutes.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

MatejValuch wrote:If you speak about big "corporation", than it's not a CEO, but the BOD that makes a decision about charitable contributions, and so the CEO is not there to blame.

No, the board of directors does not make operational decisions, that is the job of the chief executive officer. But, regardless, it is a crime against shareholders for corporation money to be spent in any way that does not increase profits, and it doesn't matter that there isn't a law against it, it is still fundamentally a fiduciary crime of theft against people who have entrusted somebody with their funds.