What does a good relationship need?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

What does a good relationship need?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I won't bother to define what is meant by good except it should help to promote a relationship.

So what are the keys to a good relationship? Here"s my short list:

Financial stability
Respect
Communication
Sense of humor

Then there's your list.

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Re: What does a good relationship need?

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

What sort of relationship?
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:What sort of relationship?
In the widest sense. Marriage, dating, LGBT, etc.

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:

PhilX
No, you mean in the narrowest sense of a romantic partnership. But you have not said what the end game of this "relationship" is.
Are you talking about a life-long partnership?
And what makes you think that the musings on personal experience of one person is going to be relevant to another?
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
No, you mean in the narrowest sense of a romantic partnership.
You need glasses.

PhilX
duszek

Post by duszek »

A good relationship needs a good deal.

Some couples prefer seperate apartments (because one of them suffers from migraines, the other one sleeps in the same bed with a dog and a cat, and for lots of other reasons) and so they can establish for example a ritual of daily phone calls at a certain hour which serves as a way to feel close to someone without suffering his overbearing and frustrating physical presence.
Men also need someone to feel close to, I can tell you.

A friendship can work for two people if both look for someone who never gives him or her a hard time. So they meet for a walk in sweet harmony and do not have to fight in any way.
It´s not very well formulated but you can guess what I mean, I hope.

You can have some good relationships with people on philosophical forums on the internet like this one. You need a mutual silent consent and then your expectations are fulfilled.

So much for now.

Any examples of unusual good relationships that you have experienced or heard about ?
Philosophy Explorer

duszek wrote:A good relationship needs a good deal.

Some couples prefer seperate apartments (because one of them suffers from migraines, the other one sleeps in the same bed with a dog and a cat, and for lots of other reasons) and so they can establish for example a ritual of daily phone calls at a certain hour which serves as a way to feel close to someone without suffering his overbearing and frustrating physical presence.

A friendship can work for two people if both look for someone who never gives him or her a hard time. So they meet for a walk in sweet harmony and do not have to fight in any way.

You can have some good relationships with people on philosophical forums on the internet like this one. You need a mutual silent consent and then your expectations are fulfilled.

So much for now.

Any examples of unusual good relationships that you have experienced or heard about ?
I think that Hollywood marriages that last a lifetime are examples of unusually good relationships.

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
No, you mean in the narrowest sense of a romantic partnership. But you have not said what the end game of this "relationship" is.
And what makes you think that the musings on personal experience of one person is going to be relevant to another?
I think the end game should be up to the couple.

PhilX
duszek

Post by duszek »

So much for now.

I think that Hollywood marriages that last a lifetime are examples of unusually good relationships.

PhilX
How can we tell ? Because the magazines say so ?

Some of them could be for the appearances´ sake, which can be a good deal too.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie seem to have a good deal.
At least they always smile on the pictures.
Philosophy Explorer

duszek wrote:

So much for now.

PhilX
How can we tell ? Because the magazines say so ?

Some of them could be for the appearances´ sake, which can be a good deal too.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie seem to have a good deal.
At least they always smile on the pictures.
How can we tell? From the stats.

PhilX
Skip

Post by Skip »

A relationship needs participants.
Philosophy Explorer

Skip wrote:A relationship needs participants.
True, but I don't mean a student-teacher relationship e.g.
HC brought up a romantic relationship, but what about forced marriages? No romance there. Not easy to define.

PhilX
Skip

Post by Skip »

Any relationship - master-servant, wife-husband, parent-child, pet-human, doctor-nurse, grandparent-grandchild - all relationships require participants. In a forced marriage, at least one of the individuals isn't participating: it's not a relationship.
Once both individuals are actively engaged in the relationship; that is, each doing his or her part, paying attention to the other, communicating, taking an interest, making an investment, exchanging favours or insults or services or emails or whatever, being present in and aware of the relationship, it will turn into whatever it needs to be.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote: In the widest sense. Marriage, dating, LGBT, etc.

PhilX
No, you mean in the narrowest sense of a romantic partnership.
You need glasses.

PhilX
DUh. "Relationships" is a big word and means lots of things. I have a fucking relationship with my government, doctor, dentist, fucking postman for fuck's sake. So yeah You do mean in the narrowest sense.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
I think the end game should be up to the couple.

PhilX
Duh
So why are you asking your stupid fucking question?