Computer Artwork

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Computer Artwork

Post by attofishpi »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:I once watched a documentary about Andy Warhol. In it he was painting a woman's breasts; then impressing the image of the breast with a piece of paper. He then tool the paper, screwed it up and flushed it down the toilet. As he flushed he took a picture.
Where is the art? Actually it was the Photo of the paper going down the shitter.
In my view that was the point that art had reached an all time low, and not much has improved since; though there is still much out there of value and interest.
Holy crap :wink: i'm actually having to agree with you...there is a pile of twod out there implied as art, and yes there is still much worthy of appreciation. That is not to say that art i don't appreciate is by any means not art.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Art changes with the times. In our time, what should art be doing?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Pluto wrote:Art changes with the times. In our time, what should art be doing?
The way you phrase the question is indicative of where "art" is going wrong.
First read your own question, then acknowledge that "art" does nothing. People do art.
The idea that art is a force with it's own volition, that 'it" leads trends and is a 'market' is the essence of the error in artistic endeavour.

I contend that what Southerby's say is art; what sells; what is trendy - none of this is art. That is business.
Art is a thing pursued for expression and fulfilment not money.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
First read your own question, then acknowledge that "art" does nothing. People do art.
The idea that art is a force with it's own volition, that 'it" leads trends and is a 'market' is the essence of the error in artistic endeavour.

I contend that what Southerby's say is art; what sells; what is trendy - none of this is art. That is business.
The question I posed was phrased quite correctly, thank you very much. You sound such an old bag of wind. "I contend that Sotherby's..."

Here watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=270&v=OLKpr7MvyBU
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Pluto wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

The question I posed was phrased quite correctly, thank you very much. You sound such an old bag of wind. "I contend that Sotherby's..."

Here watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=270&v=OLKpr7MvyBU
I did not say it was phrased "incorrectly". If you were smarter you might have to sense to know what the fuck I am talking about.
It is common enough from morons to fail to grasp a more clever person's opinions and conclude them to be windbags.

You link is exactly the type of bullshit I am talking about. Laying a bunch of bricks on the ground is not good art.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

This person, the highest selling female artist to date, appears to fuck-with the art world and art market. Or that's how the art people see it. I found it difficult to find a picture of her. She makes work, so I have briefly read, about the darker side of the American dream. What caught my eye was a great sculpture called oozewald.

http://hyperallergic.com/97416/marc-jan ... s-artwork/
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

...is not good art.
why not?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Pluto wrote:
...is not good art.
why not?
For the reasons I posted above.

Dry stacking two course of concrete bricks, is no better than uncoiling a shit, except that there is possibly a little more effort and artistry in getting an interesting shape to the shit.