Art Crit Your Work

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Pluto

Art Crit Your Work

Post by Pluto »

We've recently set up a company which gives a critical examination of your artwork. If you would like an artwork of yours to be critiqued, please upload an image of the artwork with a description of your intentions, what the work depicts, what you want it to do, is the viewer important, etc. Thanks. Pluto.
(note: all artworks will be considered in relation to the contemporary scene or prevailing zeitgeist).
Pluto

Re: Art Crit Your Work

Post by Pluto »

For example, the image below was critiqued recently. The artist stated that originally the idea for the work came from thinking about past ideas and perceptions of how the world was thought of in the past, so the dome sky represents an early mediaeval idea of the sky as dome-like with the Earth being flat and sitting at its base. But the artist realised that one of the fundamental aspects of painting is its static dimension, not moving properties, in relation to Time, or reality, where all is constantly changing and in flux. So as Time moves around the painting though the image is static the meaning of the image changes. Suddenly the artist thought it possible that this painting could now hold the meaning related to the recent weapon system Iron Dome, which exists as a missile or rocket interceptor. Thus the main idea now presented by the artist for his work was that the paintings are in themselves at the point of completion empty of meaning, just an empty image, waiting to be filled with meaning from things happening in the present. The artist has described his work as similar to buckets empty or filled with water. We then spent some time considering the image presented in relation to what the artist had said. Our immediate response was that the idea presented made us think of the painting as a prop which one finds in the theatre or on a stage. The prop in theatre has a number of potentialities of use and of meaning, this was discussed with the artist and a conversation opened up on the potentiality of paintings as props.
NEW.jpg
NEW.jpg (40.44 KiB) Viewed 3632 times
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

And that inverted bowl we call the sky
Whereunder crawling coop't we live and die
Lift not thy hands to it for help - for it
Rolls impotently on as thou or I.

Omar Khayyam
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

RickLewis wrote:And that inverted bowl we call the sky
Whereunder crawling coop't we live and die
Lift not thy hands to it for help - for it
Rolls impotently on as thou or I.

Omar Khayyam
Rick, beautiful. Thanks for posting that.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

No offense but do we really need more art critics, I mean the ones we have are pretty much useless, do we need more uptight people who can't do art themselves to teach us how to do what they in their button down world think is art.

If you can sell a turd on a plate as art for $10,000 and trust me you can and so called Artists have, what we don't need is more art critics pondering the sublime aspect of the neo modernism of the movement as it was first expressed by some guy who needed a dump in 1924 who thought he could get away with smearing canvas in shit. What we need is artists, not art critics, I wouldn't put them out if they were on fire, and no offence to your company I wish you every success, and I am sure you aren't pretentious at all unlike the vast majority of art critics. But what the world doesn't need is more critics, artists maybe, any idiot can criticise, it takes talent to create something, but it takes a fucktard with a kitzch tie, some absolute idea that they really know everything that is gauche, and an art degree at some pony U that meant somehow they couldn't produce art just talk crap, and an ironic perspective on modernism to talk wank at anyone who actually has one iota more talent than the prole farm they live in.

I call this piece, shit on a stick tied to a dope on a rope. I hope you enjoyed it. ;)

Could of probably put it in the form of a poem if I had more time.

What I do sincerely hope is you offer some guidance to artists, some sage advice on how to get it out there, to connect, to make friends in their medium or if not friends people who are savy, to network perhaps, because the criticism is worth about as much as a--- I've kind of hamstrung myself there, because anything I say has probably been sold by someone for $10,000 dollars to some idiot at some point. I call this sodden condom on a marshmellow, yeah course you do Mr Pollock but is it art? ;)
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

The art crit is a fundamental aspect of art education, not anything to do with the newspapers and magazines, that is advertising now. The idea is to be an aid to artists, to question them about what they think they are doing in the work.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Then that is good, Pluto, and I support the endeavour. You'll have to pardon me, one of the best artists I ever saw was driven out of his art degree by a pedant who insisted on saying what art was, when the fact was the guy had more talent and creativity in his little finger than his teacher. By the way I did see the art teachers so called art, it was IMHO not bad although clearly he never made a career out of it and I'm not sure he sold more than a few pieces (which is not the be all by the way), but it wasn't so good that it was worth demeaning his students over to the extent he did. Perhaps he thought like a drill sergeant he needed to separate the wheat from the chaff. What he did was though unconscionable, at least so I heard, he more separated the chaff from the wheat and discarded the wheat by leading them to become more in his school. Meh some pedagogues are just bad at their jobs. That sort of guff is annoying though. It's not the only example of small minded people reducing artists to their own small mind set, but this thread is not about me or my experiences. I am rubbish at art, but then I do like it. 'Nuff said. It's nice to look at something you couldn't do in a million years, and say, well that was an eye opener. :)
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Yes, it sounds like the teacher was not so open-minded. This happens, and is why I like the idea of side-stepping the structured role of teacher and student. It should be more of an open dialogue between interested parties, moving towards new terrain in the mind of both. When anyone says they aren't good at art I always think of the German artist Joseph Beuys who thought everyone an artist, in that all must make something of their life. Everyone is forced to create something of themselves. He held crits where all would be welcome whether they were enrolled at the school or not, and his crits were packed and very lively.