Spacetime

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

MJA

Re: Spacetime

Post by MJA »

thedoc wrote:
MJA wrote:
thedoc wrote: Much of Relativity and Quantum Theory is counter-intuitive, it has no corolation in everyday experience. Much of our everyday experience does not translate to the quantum level or to the cosmic level. But then there is no reason to expect that the universe should work the way we think it should.
I think science got it wrong,
And their measure is the flaw of us all.

=
Science relies on repetition. When an experiment is done, others will reproduce that experiment. If others fail to get the same results the ides is abandon, if others get the same results the idea is accepted. When someone makes a discovery it is intrepreted, and again others then examine the data and if the intrepretations coinside, OK, if not the intrepretation is abandon. Show us where science is in error, which measurement is incorrect, which theory is flawed?
Thanks for the good question Doc, I'll try to respond in kind.

Obviously as you must know, science has already proven at the micro level nature to be uncertain or probable, something they call quantum mechanical at best. And as for the macro or astro physics world, they still see and hang on to it with some theoretical certainty in the use of Newtonian mechanics or measure. Theoretical certainty?

But isn't nature nature no matter the size we wish to measure?
And surely if micro is immeasurable with any certainty or doubt then astro or the whole must be as well.
What is the size of the Universe, is it measurable? What about the space between the energy or mass of the universe, the either, what is it made of, something micro in size or even smaller than that? Is space micro or macro physics, is astro physics micro physics too, or more simply isn't space as theoretically immeasurable as all the rest?

Oh but wait, surely something in nature is measurable, isn't it, or is it?

Lets try measuring closer to home, what about ourselves?
What is the measure of your own self?
Are you good or bad, smart or dumb, happy or sad, strong or weak, handsome or beautiful or not? Are you 150 lbs or 149? What scale are you using to measure any of your self. Has it been measured with your own certainty too?

You see the issue here Doc, don't you?
"Man is the measure of all things" as an old Greek once said.
And today that measure that has no certainty is what we call science.
The universe is truly immeasurable as are we All.
I'll let you be the judge,
Court adjourned,

Be One,

=
thedoc

Re: Spacetime

Post by thedoc »

MJA wrote: Thanks for the good question Doc, I'll try to respond in kind.

Obviously as you must know, science has already proven at the micro level nature to be uncertain or probable, something they call quantum mechanical at best. And as for the macro or astro physics world, they still see and hang on to it with some theoretical certainty in the use of Newtonian mechanics or measure. Theoretical certainty?

But isn't nature nature no matter the size we wish to measure?
And surely if micro is immeasurable with any certainty or doubt then astro or the whole must be as well.
What is the size of the Universe, is it measurable? What about the space between the energy or mass of the universe, the either, what is it made of, something micro in size or even smaller than that? Is space micro or macro physics, is astro physics micro physics too, or more simply isn't space as theoretically immeasurable as all the rest?

Oh but wait, surely something in nature is measurable, isn't it, or is it?

Lets try measuring closer to home, what about ourselves?
What is the measure of your own self?
Are you good or bad, smart or dumb, happy or sad, strong or weak, handsome or beautiful or not? Are you 150 lbs or 149? What scale are you using to measure any of your self. Has it been measured with your own certainty too?

You see the issue here Doc, don't you?
"Man is the measure of all things" as an old Greek once said.
And today that measure that has no certainty is what we call science.
The universe is truly immeasurable as are we All.
I'll let you be the judge,
Court adjourned,

Be One,

=

Yes The micro is measured with uncertainty as far as individual particles, but the masses of particles are measured with probabilities in extreme accuracy. On the larger scale Newtonian physics is very accurate, it seems the Quantum uncertainty smooths out above the atomic level. I can measure my height and weight to acceptable levels, and with better equipment could measure more accurately, but then my weight and height vary throught the day, or from day to day, so the average is what is important. Just as in quantum theory it is the average that matters.

Seriously though you caught me at a bad time, I juat watched 'Das Rheingold' with several glasses of wine, I'll be back later.