I simply love this Web-Comic about a Female Supergenius

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

The Voice of Time

I simply love this Web-Comic about a Female Supergenius

Post by The Voice of Time »

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104

I've read all of it, and that's a lot of reading (years of accumulated full comic-pages, still publishing 3 times a week). It's brilliant. A simple word: brilliant.

Wikipedia describes it vastly better than I can:
Girl Genius has the tagline of "Adventure, Romance, MAD SCIENCE!". It features a female lead character in an alternate-history Victorian-style "steampunk" setting, although elements veer from what is usually thought of as steampunk. Kaja Foglio, one of the co-creators, describes it as "gaslamp fantasy" instead to suggest its more fantastic style.
Any woman of intellect just have to love it, okay, I'm no woman of intellect but seriously, it's indescribably different a feel you get from the webcomic than you'll get anywhere else reading. It's simply about persons, natural geniuses (not taught), being called "Sparks", controlling an alternate-history Europe and in a clash of interests with each other, some being smarter than others, all of them dangerous individuals, this woman no less although she's kind-of the angle of them all. Lots of interesting characters, many non-human (bringing in the fantasy-style), including Frankensteinian monsters, talking circus-cats (later turned general of an army of "jägers", a kind-of war-loving humanoid monster), precious soulful dancing porcelain mechanical robot-women which just I've never encountered their likes in any other fictional world, and much much more!

Hope you like it ;) I'm addicted like hell, love all the characters, and especially the world they've been put in, a really rich and unique world in its own ways.

It's a must read, but take your time, it will take days to read, and that's after you've gotten hooked.

While this isn't straight-forward philosophy, you can't help but see all the ideas and stuff going on in the series, sometimes taking philosophical turns, but mostly the "mad science" turn. Gender roles come forth and are broken like nowhere else, a woman is the sole to-become mistress able to seize control over a world full of self-interest individuals.
Last edited by The Voice of Time on Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: I simply love this Web-Comic about a Female Supergenius

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

The Voice of Time wrote:http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104

I've read all of it, and that's a lot of reading (years of accumulated full comic-pages, still publishing 3 times a week). It's brilliant. A simple word: brilliant.

Wikipedia describes it vastly better than I can:
Girl Genius has the tagline of "Adventure, Romance, MAD SCIENCE!". It features a female lead character in an alternate-history Victorian-style "steampunk" setting, although elements veer from what is usually thought of as steampunk. Kaja Foglio, one of the co-creators, describes it as "gaslamp fantasy" instead to suggest its more fantastic style.
Any woman of intellect just have to love it, okay, I'm no woman of intellect but seriously, it's indescribably different a feel you get from the webcomic than you'll get anywhere else reading. It's simply about persons, natural geniuses (not taught), being called "Sparks", controlling an alternate-history Europe and in a clash of interests with each other, some being smarter than others, all of them dangerous individuals, this woman no less although she's kind-of the angle of them all. Lots of interesting characters, many non-human (bringing in the fantasy-style), including Frankensteinian monsters, talking circus-cats (later turned general of an army of "jägers", a kind-of war-loving humanoid monster), precious soulful dancing porcelain mechanical robot-women which just I've never encountered their likes in any other fictional world, and much much more!

Hope you like it ;) I'm addicted like hell, love all the characters, and especially the world they've been put in, a really rich and unique world in its own ways.

It's a must read, but take your time, it will take days to read, and that's after you've gotten hooked.

Just out of interest, is that you in your avatar?
The Voice of Time

hahaha, no. It's a joke I had with a friend of mine. He was to call me noob so he searched quickly on google for a picture and he found that one. After that I've pulled the jokes again and again, because the picture is taken so that it looks like the crazy guy is pointing at you, so when you post in the chat to somebody and they open the picture the guy is pointing at them. So no, not me, just a joke with a friend ;) The shirt of the guy in the picture looks suspiciously like one of my old ones though...

EDIT: btw, I did mention in the other thread here in the general-forum about whether or not a formal education that I'm rather hairy, beardy. Thought of taking a picture to put in there of real me, but it doesn't really make any bonus, and this is much more fun. Alternative would be a picture of bronze-statue of Aristotle, but that's too lame.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

The Voice of Time wrote:hahaha, no. It's a joke I had with a friend of mine. He was to call me noob so he searched quickly on google for a picture and he found that one. After that I've pulled the jokes again and again, because the picture is taken so that it looks like the crazy guy is pointing at you, so when you post in the chat to somebody and they open the picture the guy is pointing at them. So no, not me, just a joke with a friend ;) The shirt of the guy in the picture looks suspiciously like one of my old ones though...

EDIT: btw, I did mention in the other thread here in the general-forum about whether or not a formal education that I'm rather hairy, beardy. Thought of taking a picture to put in there of real me, but it doesn't really make any bonus, and this is much more fun. Alternative would be a picture of bronze-statue of Aristotle, but that's too lame.
I didn't picture you as hairy and beardy, that's for sure. It's amazing how difficult it is to NOT picture a person as their avatar, even when it's obviously not them. This site won't let me load an avatar. It just says everything is the wrong size.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:This site won't let me load an avatar.
Somehow I look at your avatar and picture you as Nick Clegg.
Notvacka

Post by Notvacka »

The Voice of Time wrote:hahaha, no. It's a joke I had with a friend of mine.
It's impossible not to associate a forum member with the chosen avatar. We all understand that Chaz Wyman is not David Hume, for instance, but the image of that mild-mannered English gentleman rubs off on his posts anyway. And you do come across a bit like an obnoxious wacko because of your picture.

As for the comic, I think I agree with this review: http://serienytt.se/2010/06/30/faran-me ... rl-genius/ (It's in Swedish, but that should pose no problem for a Norwegian.)
The Voice of Time

I always thought it was a portrait of Rousseau on a later stage in his life ^^ but okay, they don't look the same.

On the review I disagree some on the conclusion, I don't know his other works, but I suspect that the review is partly dissatisfaction not of Girl Genius but of the lack of attention to other series which might have been read and liked before. Many people don't like radical changes to their worlds. But I agree that the 3 times a week instead of massive read at once makes you forget what was the point of it all, but then I just wait a month or two and suddenly I have lots to read! And I'm happily taken back into its enchanting atmosphere ;)

A lot of things happens, it's just that you forget what happens because there are so much detail in the story that you don't have for a habit to walk around remembering, but which suddenly turns important, and in this way the author is very unpredictable, but just the better a story I think ;)
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

8) I'll definitely give this a go over the long winter nights.
The Voice of Time

Notvacka wrote:
The Voice of Time wrote:And you do come across a bit like an obnoxious wacko because of your picture.
I just changed it to my FB-picture, which is me in my boy-room playing with my travel and activist-originated costumes.