Rimbaud

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

reasonvemotion

Rimbaud

Post by reasonvemotion »

The French Poet Arthur Rimbaud

Rimbaud’s visionary poetry reads as fresh and inspiring today as it has always done and that is its amazing quality. “A thousand Dreams within me softly burn” he wrote. Born in the Ardennes in 1854 he gave up poetry before he was 20 and became an adventurer in Africa, dead before 50, but what he wrote influenced the symbolist movements across the arts, Dada, Surrealism, Henry Miller, Antonioni, Kerouac and the Beatniks and all non-conformist seekers of truth.

Article taken from Bernard's post.

Rimbaud, I read as a girl, with no other thoughts than to his tortured life as a poet.

Today I read his words and think of what Germain Greer had to say about him and it is summarised thus:

"My patience with the banal theme of anal sex is over. Rimbaud and Verlaine wrote a sonnet about the "trou du cul". Moi aussi j'ai un trou du cul. I have also an asshole Part of the octave by Verlaine reads:

Dark and puckered like a violet carnation
It breathes, humbly lurking amidst the moss,
Still moist from an amorous inclination which follows the gentle dip
Of the white buttocks down to the edge of its scarlet hem.

These days everything is ironic, so describing an anus as a violet carnation must be deliberately over the top, as tasteless as dressing a toilet roll in a crocheted tutu. To suggest that anyone would worship an anus is a consciously outrageous contrivance. A preference for the anus is actually as banal and ridiculous as any other sexual fixation.

Rimbaud was the "infernal bridegroom" and the older Verlaine the "foolish virgin". Rimbaud allowed him to believe that he was the passive partner and let the older poet satisfy himself on him as much as he liked; only among the middle classes would you find two drunks trying to scandalise their equally middle-class drinking companions by advertising their sexual preferences.) Since classical antiquity, being on the receiving end has been understood to be inappropriate and degrading for grown men. Rimbaud fascinates his readers because he controlled, harassed and terrorised Verlaine "in the bedroom".

As a variant on the penetration theme, anal intercourse has been used probably more often by heterosexuals than homosexuals. There are few human societies in which it is unknown, though none is prepared to admit that the practice is at all common.

Most people are unaware that the pinnacle of the relationship between Connie and Mellors in Lady Chatterley's Lover is an episode of anal intercourse, which burnt out "the shames, the deepest oldest shames in the most secret places", arriving at "the refinements of passion". "It took some getting at, the core of physical jungle, the last and deepest recess of organic shame. The phallos alone could explore it." Lawrence elaborates the rapists' fantasy, that what women dread they secretly desire. "And how in fear, she had hated it. But how she had really wanted it!"

In her 1936 biography of Rimbaud, Enid Starkie theorises that he discovered his sexuality after he was raped by soldiers. For Rimbaud, this was "a sudden and blinding revelation of what sex really was". Yet there is no indication in the documentation of Rimbaud's life that this rape happened. What is interesting is looking at anal penetration from a woman's point of view, one can see just how ordinary and unrefined it actually is."

My Rimbaud of 2012.
Lynn

Re: Rimbaud

Post by Lynn »

reasonvemotion wrote:In her 1936 biography of Rimbaud, Enid Starkie theorises that he discovered his sexuality after he was raped by soldiers. For Rimbaud, this was "a sudden and blinding revelation of what sex really was".
There are many more nerve endings in the anus and penetration stimulates the prostate in men, and clitoral and G-Spot in women so I would not regard it as banal from a physiological stance, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_sex.

Perhaps in response to his torture/loss of control, the rape, he then turned the tables and became the controlling figure over his lover:
reasonvemotion wrote: Rimbaud fascinates his readers because he controlled, harassed and terrorised Verlaine "in the bedroom".
reasonvemotion wrote:As a variant on the penetration theme, anal intercourse has been used probably more often by heterosexuals than homosexuals. There are few human societies in which it is unknown, though none is prepared to admit that the practice is at all common... What is interesting is looking at anal penetration from a woman's point of view, one can see just how ordinary and unrefined it actually is."
That it may not be commonly discussed or viewed as 'acceptable sexual conduct' in many societies may be based on a variety of reasons. For example, it may be regarded dirty, when the role of the anus in the human waste system is considered, and painful, due to the lack of natural fluids and sensitivity of the lining - which make the lining prone to tearing, in the anus. Fears can arise from this and bring or add to psychological factors, so women may decide this will never be an option for them - nomatter how much lubricant is introduced to mitigate physical pain.
When accompanied by one or more of the other stimuli, women were able to orgasm and those who did reported that an orgasm during anal sex is more of a full-body experience than an orgasm from clitoral stimulation alone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_sex.
And the same may apply to men.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

I see Rimbaud as someone who became very intellectually independent at a very early age. His scholastic records support that. Its hard to imagine any other course he could have taken than that he choose via Verlaine. It seemed a sheer life/death survival choice. His poetry reads to me as talent being used against itself - or against the archetypes that informed it via the psyche - but still being used in its full scope as talent: a very tricky thing to have to subject oneself to, and certain to bring great pain and destruction eventually. Its very easy to do though... pick an escape, any escape: substance abuse, sex, madness, let it shake the hell out of you and then pick up the pieces, but rearrange them according to whatever amount of aesthetic gold you may have stumbled across via your escape.
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

reasonvemotion wrote:The French Poet Arthur Rimbaud

Rimbaud’s visionary poetry reads as fresh and inspiring today as it has always done and that is its amazing quality. “A thousand Dreams within me softly burn” he wrote. Born in the Ardennes in 1854 he gave up poetry before he was 20 and became an adventurer in Africa, dead before 50, but what he wrote influenced the symbolist movements across the arts, Dada, Surrealism, Henry Miller, Antonioni, Kerouac and the Beatniks and all non-conformist seekers of truth.

Article taken from Bernard's post.

Rimbaud, I read as a girl, with no other thoughts than to his tortured life as a poet.

Today I read his words and think of what Germain Greer had to say about him and it is summarised thus:

"My patience with the banal theme of anal sex is over. Rimbaud and Verlaine wrote a sonnet about the "trou du cul". Moi aussi j'ai un trou du cul. I have also an asshole Part of the octave by Verlaine reads:

These days everything is ironic, so describing an anus as a violet carnation must be deliberately over the top, as tasteless as dressing a toilet roll in a crocheted tutu. To suggest that anyone would worship an anus is a consciously outrageous contrivance. A preference for the anus is actually as banal and ridiculous as any other sexual fixation.

Rimbaud was the "infernal bridegroom" and the older Verlaine the "foolish virgin". Rimbaud allowed him to believe that he was the passive partner and let the older poet satisfy himself on him as much as he liked; only among the middle classes would you find two drunks trying to scandalise their equally middle-class drinking companions by advertising their sexual preferences.) Since classical antiquity, being on the receiving end has been understood to be inappropriate and degrading for grown men. Rimbaud fascinates his readers because he controlled, harassed and terrorised Verlaine "in the bedroom".

As a variant on the penetration theme, anal intercourse has been used probably more often by heterosexuals than homosexuals. There are few human societies in which it is unknown, though none is prepared to admit that the practice is at all common.

Most people are unaware that the pinnacle of the relationship between Connie and Mellors in Lady Chatterley's Lover is an episode of anal intercourse, which burnt out "the shames, the deepest oldest shames in the most secret places", arriving at "the refinements of passion". "It took some getting at, the core of physical jungle, the last and deepest recess of organic shame. The phallos alone could explore it." Lawrence elaborates the rapists' fantasy, that what women dread they secretly desire. "And how in fear, she had hated it. But how she had really wanted it!"

In her 1936 biography of Rimbaud, Enid Starkie theorises that he discovered his sexuality after he was raped by soldiers. For Rimbaud, this was "a sudden and blinding revelation of what sex really was". Yet there is no indication in the documentation of Rimbaud's life that this rape happened. What is interesting is looking at anal penetration from a woman's point of view, one can see just how ordinary and unrefined it actually is."

My Rimbaud of 2012.
Interesting thread, reasonvemotion -

and thanks Bernard for the original post/thread, not sure where it comes from ?

This is presented as a 'summary' of a Germaine Greer's piece - is it from something she entitled - 'My Rimbeaud of 2012', or what ?

I can only find her Guardian article of 9th March 2009 - 'Rimbeaud and Verlaine's silly fixations' .
So, not a summary which takes a bit of effort, but yet another copy and paste job.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ts-comment
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

I think Reasonvemotion was referring to this - you have to scroll down to see the Rimbaud event.

http://www.acropolis.org.au/Events/Events.htm

Rimbaud had quite a grip on some from The Angry Penguins Society, including Sidney Nolan.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=sidn ... 600&bih=781
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

Lynn wrote:
reasonvemotion wrote:In her 1936 biography of Rimbaud, Enid Starkie theorises that he discovered his sexuality after he was raped by soldiers. For Rimbaud, this was "a sudden and blinding revelation of what sex really was".
There are many more nerve endings in the anus and penetration stimulates the prostate in men, and clitoral and G-Spot in women so I would not regard it as banal from a physiological stance, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_sex.

Perhaps in response to his torture/loss of control, the rape, he then turned the tables and became the controlling figure over his lover:
reasonvemotion wrote: Rimbaud fascinates his readers because he controlled, harassed and terrorised Verlaine "in the bedroom".
reasonvemotion wrote:As a variant on the penetration theme, anal intercourse has been used probably more often by heterosexuals than homosexuals. There are few human societies in which it is unknown, though none is prepared to admit that the practice is at all common... What is interesting is looking at anal penetration from a woman's point of view, one can see just how ordinary and unrefined it actually is."
That it may not be commonly discussed or viewed as 'acceptable sexual conduct' in many societies may be based on a variety of reasons. For example, it may be regarded dirty, when the role of the anus in the human waste system is considered, and painful, due to the lack of natural fluids and sensitivity of the lining - which make the lining prone to tearing, in the anus. Fears can arise from this and bring or add to psychological factors, so women may decide this will never be an option for them - nomatter how much lubricant is introduced to mitigate physical pain.
When accompanied by one or more of the other stimuli, women were able to orgasm and those who did reported that an orgasm during anal sex is more of a full-body experience than an orgasm from clitoral stimulation alone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_sex.
Nothing to do with Rimbeaud, but simply to point out the problems with using the quote feature on this forum. Some posters have been 'misquoted'; others might be perceived as being given/taking credit for something they have not actually 'written' themselves.

Anal retentive, moi - mais non ?! Not obsessed with 'quotes' - it is the message that counts after all, but I reckon that philosophical sources should be made clear so that people can follow them up if they so desire. And, of course, it can lead to a sense of distrust if people keep making the same 'mistake' - :roll:
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

Bernard wrote:I think Reasonvemotion was referring to this - you have to scroll down to see the Rimbaud event.

http://www.acropolis.org.au/Events/Events.htm

Rimbaud had quite a grip on some from The Angry Penguins Society, including Sidney Nolan.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=sidn ... 600&bih=781
Thanks Bernard :)
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

marjoramblues wrote:Nothing to do with Rimbeaud, but simply to point out the problems with using the quote feature on this forum. Some posters have been 'misquoted'; others might be perceived as being given/taking credit for something they have not actually 'written' themselves.

Anal retentive, moi - mais non ?! Not obsessed with 'quotes' - it is the message that counts after all, but I reckon that philosophical sources should be made clear so that people can follow them up if they so desire. And, of course, it can lead to a sense of distrust if people keep making the same 'mistake' - :roll:
I shall take your advice on board and try to be more aware that some quotes may not be clearly defined. Reading the links provided by Bernard and yourself have given me better insight into the topic and content which I mistook as personal commentary. I trust this is not misinterpretating your comments above?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

My Rimbaud of 2012.

To be succinct and clear up any misunderstanding, I meant "My Rimbaud of 2012" has changed since I first read him. My introductory sentence. I now agree with Greer, today, and what she wrote about him. All the sources are quoted and referred to.

Lynn

Reasonvemotion
Is this strictly a quotation or can you offer some personal experience of clitoral and G-spot? non banality, love to hear :lol:

It would be far less clinical and perhaps err on the side of beauty, without referring to wikipedia cut and paste :lol:
Last edited by reasonvemotion on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

I've never had anal penetration, but to loosely quote a Norwegian comedian filmed just as he walked out of the bathroom: "Taking a crap is real good, you could get an orgasm just by shitting!"

I've had a lot of problems in my life with constipation, which to your information hardens the pop and makes it more massive... (yeah, an inspiring image don't you think? anywho) and because of this, the anus, quite small and unlike the vagina not made for massive load... imagine a monster-dildo penetrating a tiny woman... yeah that's how it loosely feels like, but, just like the monster-dildo-thingy, if it's not too big (and now I'm just guessing on women's behalf), it's an enormous pressure on the nerves generating an equally enormous sensation. Think of it has an instant close-to-orgasm feeling coming OUTWARDS from your arse instead of INWARDS to it.

When I was a kid this was such a powerful feeling I would choose not to go to the bathroom because I wanted to feel it when and where I got a need for pooping ^^ Unfortunately I've contracted a rift in my anus because of it so now I know by experience what is meant by "a real pain in the ass". It's still quite a powerful sensation however, and sometimes when I leave the bathroom after taking a crap I can be near sweating and having had close to an orgasm in my ass. I often shake, or jump up and down on the toilet-seat in order to "massage" the pop into a less powerful delivery. Lol, this came out funny, anyhow, my ass is virgin but if I don't know what it feels like to be ass-stimulated then few others should know ^^

The poet has his reasons I can tell you... wonder if he'd ever had a constipation?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

This is Lynn's cut and paste contribution.
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_s
"And the same may apply to men". Should that read IMO or

is there a reference somewhere that re-inforces this.