From Schopenhauer's "Essay on Women."

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: From Schopenhauer's "Essay on Women."

Post by Dalek Prime »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Dubious wrote:Are you implying that only hairy women can achieve great intellectual heights?
Perhaps he meant bald ones. Everybody knows that baldness is a certain indicator of superior intellectual prowess. (Or is just bald blokes who know this?)
Whoa Nelly! I know this, and I'm as bald as all heck! 8)
hsaniva311

Post by hsaniva311 »

I would cheer on Schopenhauer for having the BALLS to promulgate such an essay. Not many men would or could take the RISK to express themselves without the fear of being judged.

Except for the male apologists out here, I think most men would agree that even though he takes the extreme shortcut to get to the truth, his views are refreshingly honest and true to a large extent. Exceptions still considered of course..
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Schopenhauer was guilty as most of humanity is guilty of taking a personal, read particular bad experience and generalizing it to include a group, in this case half the population. One would think such brilliance could raise above the personal experiences of pain and betrayal to see it for what it is, but, I guess this particular, just owned him. That and the fact that he would at the time have found many a sympathetic ear, considering the zeitgeist of the time, the general humanity towards women of the time was not kind. Reminds me of the phrase, context defines, context changes and with its change the zeitgeist changes. Schopenhauer likey never drew any heat for his views on women in his own times.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Satyr wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:57 am
Kayla wrote:
what an interesting bit of syncronicity
Haven't heard that crap in months.
Kayla wrote:our krav maga instructor quoted this very line last class and then showed us how to defend ourselves from a philosopher with a whip

as is typical in krav maga it included but was not limited to kicking him in the balls
Remember, little girl, all are wicked and suffering from a psychological ailment....except those who claim all are equal, deserve respect without earning it, and are products of nurture but not nature.

Decidedly in a madhouse the sane one is the one being accused of schizophrenia.

Sweetie, never yo mind about Nietzsche or Schopenhauer and their obvious hatred of the noble sex, you just suck cocks and bend over, like a good girl and all will be taken care of.
Justice shall be served, because we all know how nature loves fairness and kindness and all those human, all too human, fables.
What the actual F am I reading here? Is this kind of misogyny tolerated here?
uwot

Post by uwot »

Astro Cat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:55 amWhat the actual F am I reading here? Is this kind of misogyny tolerated here?
It takes a lot, but Satyr managed to get banned for that sort of drivel.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

uwot wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:08 am
Astro Cat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:55 amWhat the actual F am I reading here? Is this kind of misogyny tolerated here?
It takes a lot, but Satyr managed to get banned for that sort of drivel.
Good, that was disgusting and contributed nothing but bile.

Incidentally I have the mouth of a sailor, I take it that is fine around here? Or have the various colorful words I've seen floating around just slipped past moderation?

(Or is it frowned on, but technically allowed? I don't want to step on toes either. But seriously... mouth of a sailor sometimes. LOL)
uwot

Post by uwot »

Astro Cat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:13 amIncidentally I have the mouth of a sailor, I take it that is fine around here? Or have the various colorful words I've seen floating around just slipped past moderation?

(Or is it frowned on, but technically allowed? I don't want to step on toes either. But seriously... mouth of a sailor sometimes. LOL)
Relax, the moderators don't give a fuck.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

uwot wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:20 am Relax, the moderators don't give a fuck.
Well, fuck yeah ^_^
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Context defines, both on a personal level and an evolutionary level. The times they are a changing. Think historical context.
seeds

Post by seeds »

uwot wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:20 am
Astro Cat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:13 amIncidentally I have the mouth of a sailor, I take it that is fine around here? Or have the various colorful words I've seen floating around just slipped past moderation?

Relax, the moderators don't give a fuck.
AMod (who may no longer be a moderator) used to care about such things.

For example:
Expletives
Post by AMod » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:30 am
viewtopic.php?p=385802#p385802
To All,
Can you all please stop using the stronger expletives on this forum. If you think someone is an idiot you are free to tell them so but no need for the swearing. This is not a social media forum but supposedly a philosphy forum and as such you should be able to insult in a more mannered and erudite fashion.
AMod.
...and...
Just a heads up.
Post by AMod » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:03 pm
viewtopic.php?p=417015#p417015
Ok I'm bored with this now. Keep your strong expletives to yourselves. I'll be deleting posts that have them and especially if they are directed at other forum members.
AMod.
And I agree with him.
_______
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

You know who you are!
uwot

Post by uwot »

seeds wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:55 pm
uwot wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:20 amRelax, the moderators don't give a fuck.
AMod (who may no longer be a moderator) used to care about such things.
Ah, the good old days.
seeds wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:55 pmFor example:
Expletives
Post by AMod » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:30 am
viewtopic.php?p=385802#p385802
To All,
Can you all please stop using the stronger expletives on this forum. If you think someone is an idiot you are free to tell them so but no need for the swearing. This is not a social media forum but supposedly a philosphy forum and as such you should be able to insult in a more mannered and erudite fashion.
AMod.
If someone were to call me a fucking idiot, is there any part that should upset me? Frankly, the idea that insults are more acceptable if they mannered and erudite, so that derision is the preserve of the cultivated, is elitist tosh.
seeds wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:55 pm...and...
Just a heads up.
Post by AMod » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:03 pm
viewtopic.php?p=417015#p417015
Ok I'm bored with this now. Keep your strong expletives to yourselves. I'll be deleting posts that have them and especially if they are directed at other forum members.
AMod.
And I agree with him.
Swearing is an interesting topic. Certain words cause offense for no other reason than that certain people are offended by them. There are no hard and fast rules, but you can learn a lot about people by their use of and response to swearing, so it can be a useful tool. It's also a bit of mischief, and I'm sorry that it upsets you, but I like a bit of mischief.
Walker

Post by Walker »

uwot wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:24 amSwearing is an interesting topic. Certain words cause offense for no other reason than that certain people are offended by them. There are no hard and fast rules, but you can learn a lot about people by their use of and response to swearing, so it can be a useful tool. It's also a bit of mischief, and I'm sorry that it upsets you, but I like a bit of mischief.
Expletives are often an example of either inarticulate diversion, or emphasis. Expletives can be a tactic when the expletive-expeller is out of ammo, that is, out of effective and appropriate reasoning. In that case, an expletive is an offensive offering, an offense committed against both the principle of language, and the intelligence of the receiver.

As an offense against language, expletives are evidence of a limited vocabulary. This can be attributed to not knowing the language, or it can be attributed to sloth of thought, or it can be attributed to a limited capacity of intelligence.

This generous and magnanimous attribution of cause due to limited vocabulary, sloth, and limited intelligence are made in good faith, for they assume a good-intent on behalf of the expletive-expeller.

However, there is another possibility. An expletive is also known as a curse. A curse is made from evil-intent.
Therefore, the other possibility is that the expletive-expeller is nothing more than an evil mother-fucking curser.

Therefore, because yours truly is never out of ammo, knows the language, has evolved beyond both sloth and ambition, is quite intelligent, and has no evil intent … then when such walking-talking-writing Beings do judiciously use an expletive, the use is simply a well-timed emphasis, and the emphasis is caused not so much by the language used, but by the scarcity of the need for cheap tricks.

Bring it back, you wot, you. You’re invited to gimme something good, for a change. Perhaps, something valuable.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Astro Cat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:30 am
uwot wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:20 am Relax, the moderators don't give a fuck.
Well, fuck yeah ^_^
That’s a start, but if you want to really roll with the pigs like a real woman, this is more in line with the Custom of Philosophy Now. This is the level of communication often directed towards Immanual Can, and others, by this same person. Out of generosity of spirit, imo I think it’s done as a cheek-turning trial, however, it does pollute the environment, and it does give IC a good opportunity to practice, which the "I" of IC* does with grace, I might add.
“Fuck off with your pig headed motor mouth pie hole CRAP….and go spew your pointless opinions down the toilet …your twatty opinions are always toxic …just like you, you disgusting vile person.”
- DAM
* Someone recently asked, somewhere, who is IC?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Swearing is generally where one resorts to personal attack. When one does so early in the dialogue one must wonder just how insecure the party is in engaging in dialogue in the first place. Besides taking the low road as a matter of form it is disruptive of good intentions and intellectual honesty. Not to mention the utter lack of manners and degrading the forum as an intellectual medium.