Is Violence Against Women Wrong But O.K. Against Men?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Re: Is Violence Against Women Wrong But O.K. Against Men?

Post by duszek »

No one should hit anybody. Yes, this is the solution.
Hitting someone is an act of crime.

Why should you be in a relationship with an aggressive and violent woman in the first place ?
Is it expecting too much if I suggested that a man should find out before entering a relationship if she is aggressive and prone to violence or "decent" ?
A man can find this out using his emotional intelligence, yes.

When mentally sick or children attack you violently the criminal law requires that you use the least harmful means to deter this violence. Sometimes it can be that you just run away and report to the authorities.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

duszek wrote:No one should hit anybody. Yes, this is the solution.
Hitting someone is an act of crime.

Why should you be in a relationship with an aggressive and violent woman in the first place ?
Is it expecting too much if I suggested that a man should find out before entering a relationship if she is aggressive and prone to violence or "decent" ?
A man can find this out using his emotional intelligence, yes.

When mentally sick or children attack you violently the criminal law requires that you use the least harmful means to deter this violence. Sometimes it can be that you just run away and report to the authorities.
How many wars in the last 100 years do you think were just?
PhilosophicalCaveman

Post by PhilosophicalCaveman »

There is more to it though. We have a view that men are stronger (physically) than women. Take for example:
A) you're watching a man hitting another man (in ones mind this is a fair fight)
B) You're watching a cat fight, that is woman against woman (in ones mind this is a fair fight)
C) You're watching a woman hitting a man (in ones mind this is acceptable, a David-Goliath scenario)
D) You're watching a woman/man hitting an elderly (meets disapproval)
E) You're watching a woman/man hitting a child (meets disapproval)

... you see where I'm trying to get at here? It may not be something based on gender per se but rather what is mentally accept as a 'fair fight'.

But I have a different point to make on the inequality of the gender, one that is not on 'fighting' but on general things, example how it is ok to joke on castration vs joking on a woman having similar mutilation done on her body.
williamhunghei

Post by williamhunghei »

PhilosophicalCaveman wrote:There is more to it though. We have a view that men are stronger (physically) than women. Take for example:
A) you're watching a man hitting another man (in ones mind this is a fair fight)
B) You're watching a cat fight, that is woman against woman (in ones mind this is a fair fight)
C) You're watching a woman hitting a man (in ones mind this is acceptable, a David-Goliath scenario)
D) You're watching a woman/man hitting an elderly (meets disapproval)
E) You're watching a woman/man hitting a child (meets disapproval)

... you see where I'm trying to get at here? It may not be something based on gender per se but rather what is mentally accept as a 'fair fight'.

But I have a different point to make on the inequality of the gender, one that is not on 'fighting' but on general things, example how it is ok to joke on castration vs joking on a woman having similar mutilation done on her body.
true, for whatever reason, a man is expected by default to 'man up' in the face of aggression. the problem is when the abuser is a woman, which means any response is virtually disabled. unjustified aggression to anybody is not ok.