Homosexuality.

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Homosexuality.

Post by Arising_uk »

davidm wrote:So, the German government is "bigoted" by shutting up Nazis?
They don't. Unless you've missed it they have what you would, I presume, consider a large far-right wing party gaining ground over there. What they do do is ban any public reference to the Nazi and any speech that denies the 'holocaust'. This approach was pretty much inherited from the American policy of de-nazification which, personally, I think was a mistake but I can understand why it was attempted as we'd have pretty much have to have tried and executed a few million Germans after the war and didn't have the stomach for it and I think some realpolitik was in play with respect to what America saw as the Soviet threat so they needed the Nazi to stay in governmental offices to keep things running. Here's a great story, in the 70's in Germany there was, like in the rest of Europe, a leftist student movement who realised that much of the governmental structures were still being run by actual Nazis and they got very upset at this idea and started creating waves of protest at the current govt. From out of them a group formed, the Baader-Meinhof Group/Red Army Faction, who committed terrorist crimes, was shown to have been funded by the Stazi and was used as justification for a crack down on all things Left in Germany and especially student protest. Come the late 80's I read a little article in the Guardian that showed that the CIA has infiltrated them at an early stage and it was their agent who taught them how to make and plant bombs and encouraged them to commit these crimes. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose :lol:
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

davidm wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 pm

What does the above trash even mean? Why is this garbage allowed here?
Are you just pretending to be stupid? Which part are you having trouble understanding? I will try to make it simpler for you step by step (but I'm really not sure how it could be any simpler).
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:30 pm
davidm wrote:So, the German government is "bigoted" by shutting up Nazis?
They don't. Unless you've missed it they have what you would, I presume, consider a large far-right wing party gaining ground over there. What they do do is ban any public reference to the Nazi and any speech that denies the 'holocaust'. This approach was pretty much inherited from the American policy of de-nazification which, personally, I think was a mistake but I can understand why it was attempted as we'd have pretty much have to have tried and executed a few million Germans after the war and didn't have the stomach for it and I think some realpolitik was in play with respect to what America saw as the Soviet threat so they needed the Nazi to stay in governmental offices to keep things running. Here's a great story, in the 70's in Germany there was, like in the rest of Europe, a leftist student movement who realised that much of the governmental structures were still being run by actual Nazis and they got very upset at this idea and started creating waves of protest at the current govt. From out of them a group formed, the Baader-Meinhof Group/Red Army Faction, who committed terrorist crimes, was shown to have been funded by the Stazi and was used as justification for a crack down on all things Left in Germany and especially student protest. Come the late 80's I read a little article in the Guardian that showed that the CIA has infiltrated them at an early stage and it was their agent who taught them how to make and plant bombs and encouraged them to commit these crimes. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose :lol:
Very interesting. The 'red brigade' were big news in the 70s then just sort of fizzled. The US must have found a new 'pet terrorist group' to fund.
davidm

Post by davidm »

xman, you might also want to try out The Freethought Forum. Unlike the aforementioned Galilean Library, it still has a pulse, though just barely; it’s greatly reduced from its heyday about 10 years ago. I think this is a general trend: Message boards were all the rage about 10-15 years ago, but since then they have declined because of the rise of “social” media: blogs, snapchat, T**tter (can’t write the name without puking), F**ebook (can’t write that name without puking, either), etc.

The Freethought Forum has gay people, trans people, at least two physicists, one of whom is an astrophysicist; a biologist, at least two lawyers (the good kind, not the bad kind), and me (an 18-year veteran New York Times editor, published fiction writer and owner of a publishing website) plus my drunken but hilarious aunt, Flo Jellem.

The above-mentioned people still post, at least from time to time, though not, alas, nearly as often as they used to. A lot of other brilliant people have stopped posting altogether. :(

Also, the site has mostly settled into a place for socialization, with virtually no serious discussion of philosophy or science, but that could change given new blood.

The few people still posting there are, in general, brilliantly witty. When trolls show up there, they are ruthlessly eviscerated; the lulz are priceless! :lol:

There are no moderators there — not even a pretense of moderation. Trolls get taken care of by the members.

If you were to sign up there and post an intro in the Archway, talking a bit about yourself, I am sure you would be warmly greeted. :) Though, given the greatly reduced participation, it may take a while for the responses to appear.

The best part is that FF has more than four thousand usable emoji. Most of them were made by one of the co-owners, so for the most part they are not hijacked from other sites. :)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Shouldn't you be having this discussion by PM?

"more than four thousand usable emoji" :lol:
davidm

Post by davidm »

Arising_uk wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:59 am
"more than four thousand usable emoji" :lol:
And a point of justifiable pride there, I might add. 8) Many of them are absolutely brilliant.
davidm

Post by davidm »

For example, don't you think we could use "bitch slap" here? I sure do!

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

You would.
davidm

Post by davidm »

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:28 amYou would.
I could use it on you! :wink:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

As if I'd care. :roll:
davidm

Post by davidm »

Does anyone around here actually have a sense of humor? :? It does not seem so. I've seen no evidence of any wit or humor here at all.
vegetariantaxidermy

davidm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:28 pm For example, don't you think we could use "bitch slap" here? I sure do!

How terribly unPC from the terribly PC.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

davidm wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:20 am xman, you might also want to try out The Freethought Forum. Unlike the aforementioned Galilean Library, it still has a pulse, though just barely; it’s greatly reduced from its heyday about 10 years ago. I think this is a general trend: Message boards were all the rage about 10-15 years ago, but since then they have declined because of the rise of “social” media: blogs, snapchat, T**tter (can’t write the name without puking), F**ebook (can’t write that name without puking, either), etc.
I tried to make an account there, but it said the Admin must approve my account before I am allowed to post, and so far it has been 4 days and nothing. Doesn't seem very "Free thought" to me, if the site is gonna be lorded over by biased admins.

Does anyone around here actually have a sense of humor? :? It does not seem so. I've seen no evidence of any wit or humor here at all.
I think whoever made the site "freethought" has a sense of humor, but in a sick way.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:... Doesn't seem very "Free thought" to me, if the site is gonna be lorded over by biased admins.
How about the site is pretty inactive and the admin are off doing something else with their lives?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Harbal wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:41 pm The thought of having a sexually physical relationship with someone of the same sex as me is something I find distasteful. Does this mean I should condemn homosexuality? The thing is: I quite often encounter people of the opposite sex to me with whom the thought of having a sexually physical relationship is equally distasteful. Does this mean I should, at least to some extent, condemn heterosexuality?
In anticipation of the probable response to this: yes, I'm sure there are many people, of both sexes, who would find the thought of having a sexually physical relationship with me rather unpalatable.
Male masturbation is sex with a man. Problem is, you can't ask them to leave afterwards. :lol: