Sex bias

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

ForCruxSake

Re: Sex bias

Post by ForCruxSake »

uwot wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:I just watched the clip, too, and it took me seconds to work out it was a simple slip of the tongue.
Well exactly. Beats me why these right wing nuts make such a big deal of it. Clearly they haven't heard of this Jesus feller who said 'Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.'
What? What has this to do with what I was pointing out?

You've always struck me as very pertinent, until this thread. One thing that can be said about you is that when you err, or misunderstand something, you'll usually hold your hand up to it, with grace. So I'm interested to know what your excuse, or reasoning, is for the above?
uwot

Post by uwot »

ForCruxSake wrote:...I'm interested to know what your excuse, or reasoning, is for the above?
I'm not sure which bit you are objecting to. I was just agreeing with you that people make mistakes. If I have misunderstood you, I apologise.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

uwot wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:...I'm interested to know what your excuse, or reasoning, is for the above?
I'm not sure which bit you are objecting to. I was just agreeing with you that people make mistakes. If I have misunderstood you, I apologise.
That's not what I was saying. I was amazed at how you "silly philosophers" were patronising each other, with your "silly politics", when any fool with an understanding of simple maths could see the error being made, by a man who may well be overworked or tired.

I think what I wrote was more an indictment of you and Walker inventing reason and squabbling over something, which appeared instantly to me, as having a simple explanation. Early on, you commented on it, without checking it out to start with, which suggested you have a problem with Walker and/or the way he thinks. Whatever his faults, you went in to attack him, rather unfairly I thought.

There are some real 'Vikings of Thought' here on the forum, who like to sail to the shore of a thread, land, hit others who are posting across the head, in the hope of running off with the 'spoils of thought'. They behave like adolescent boys. I never took you for one of them.
uwot

Post by uwot »

ForCruxSake wrote:There are some real 'Vikings of Thought' here on the forum, who like to sail to the shore of a thread, land, hit others who are posting across the head, in the hope of running off with the 'spoils of thought'. They behave like adolescent boys. I never took you for one of them.
Fair point. If it's any excuse, I was in the pub at the time. Sorry, Walker.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

uwot wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:There are some real 'Vikings of Thought' here on the forum, who like to sail to the shore of a thread, land, hit others who are posting across the head, in the hope of running off with the 'spoils of thought'. They behave like adolescent boys. I never took you for one of them.
What? The pub is your excuse?

Are you blaming alcohol, other pub goers, the ambiance or the pub landlord, perhaps? Apologies for being so unsatisfied with your answer. It seems a bit of a side step to me. Sigh.
uwot

Post by uwot »

ForCruxSake wrote:What? The pub is your excuse?
Yup.
ForCruxSake wrote:Apologies for being so unsatisfied with your answer. It seems a bit of a side step to me. Sigh.
Ah well, Viking it is, then.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

uwot wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:What? The pub is your excuse?
Yup.
ForCruxSake wrote:Apologies for being so unsatisfied with your answer. It seems a bit of a side step to me. Sigh.
Ah well, Viking it is, then.
Enjoy your flagon of ale.
Walker

Post by Walker »

uwot wrote:
No problemo. But what a word that sorry.

Seriously now, ouzo has been quaffed on three occasions.

One of them was memorable.

Which one?

In learned principle, only by referencing ouzo experience of only three, to no experience possible, can you truly know.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Walker wrote:No problemo. But what a word that sorry.

Seriously now, ouzo has been quaffed on three occasions.

One of them was memorable.

Which one?

In learned principle, only by referencing ouzo experience of only three, to no experience possible, can you truly know.
Well, I got as far as "No problemo". After that, I'm afraid you lost me. Never mind. Cheers.
Walker

Post by Walker »

uwot wrote:Well, I got as far as "No problemo". After that, I'm afraid you lost me. Never mind. Cheers.
Ouzo is an adult beverage. You're in a pub. It don't make me no mind but it sounds like a match made in heaven, but only in the sense of appropriateness and not implication.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Walker wrote:Ouzo is an adult beverage.

So I gather. Actually, you can pretty much map the Mediterranean by variations on the theme. Working clockwise from ouzo in Greece, you move to raki in Turkey, then it's pretty much arak from Lebanon to Morocco. I don't know what, or if there is a Spanish version. Hmm. Anyway, onto pastis in France, sambuca in Italy, mastika in Macedonia and back to ouzo. Lots of variations in between, but that's the general flavour and a bloody good way to spend an evening on the Med. Still, it's spring in London, with real ale festival going on. It has to be beer. Bottoms up.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

uwot wrote:Actually, you can pretty much map the Mediterranean by variations on the theme. Working clockwise from ouzo in Greece, you move to raki in Turkey, then it's pretty much arak from Lebanon to Morocco. I don't know what, or if there is a Spanish version. Hmm. Anyway, onto pastis in France, sambuca in Italy, mastika in Macedonia and back to ouzo. Lots of variations in between, but that's the general flavour and a bloody good way to spend an evening on the Med. Still, it's spring in London, with real ale festival going on. It has to be beer. Bottoms up.
The common ingredient you've not mentioned is 'aniseed'. The ones in your list, that I recognise, are aniseed liquors. Did you know Pernod (anis) and (Ricard) pastis came into being when absinthe (also an aniseed liquor) was banned, in France? (Dunno why I asked that, you probably do.)

In Spain it's also 'anis', or 'anisette', and like ouzo, or raki, is generally mixed with water to form a 'palomito', to make it less strong, more refreshing. One of the popular brands, I think is 'Anis del Mono', 'monkey's anis'. It's been around a while. Ernest Hemingway mentions it as the anisette of choice in 'The Sun Also Rises', apparently.

Clearly, you're a Viking of, discerning taste, who's hit heads across Europe and back again.
uwot

Post by uwot »

ForCruxSake wrote: Clearly, you're a Viking of, discerning taste, who's hit heads across Europe and back again.
Maybe so, but the gods are just, and given me the headaches.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

uwot wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: Clearly, you're a Viking of, discerning taste, who's hit heads across Europe and back again.
Maybe so, but the gods are just, and given me the headaches.
I took you to be an atheist. Once you hit the beer, there's a point beyond which It starts hitting you back!
uwot

Post by uwot »

ForCruxSake wrote:I took you to be an atheist. Once you hit the beer, there's a point beyond which It starts hitting you back!
The wonderful thing about beer is that a sufficient dose empowers you to believe anything.