Real men don't eat quiche!

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

reasonvemotion

Real men don't eat quiche!

Post by reasonvemotion »

What is this BS!

Had a male friend over for dinner, was wondering what to cook and because it was hot and frankly I didn't want to launch into a heavy meal I decided to make a quiche. I baked the casing first, the filling comprised of goat's cheese, spinach, egg, cream, grated zucchini and semi sun dried tomatoes. It was delicious and I was confident he had enjoyed it. So I asked, (because he wasn't forthcoming with any praise) did you enjoy that?

He said, Real mean don't eat quiche. HA! I said What? he said haven't you heard that saying? and frankly I hadn't. But it intrigued me and I did some research and this is what I came up with.

'Apparently, there’s some truth to men’s culinary fickleness:

Meat is manly. Salad is not.

It's a scientific fact. Researchers at Northwestern University have found that men tend to choose what they perceive as masculine foods, like gravy, rib-eye steaks, and foods described as "hearty," over supposedly feminine foods like red wine sauce and fillets and "luscious" salads, providing support for the old adage that real men don't eat quiche".

https://vimeo.com/74236999
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Real men don't eat quiche!

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Yet I've heard it said that pregnant women like to eat pickles and ice cream. Yuck.

PhilX
Skip

Post by Skip »

Amend that to "Stupid men don't eat quiche."
Real men enjoy both pie and scrambled eggs, without losing any of their masculinity. Feed them scrambled egg pie, and they're still okay - if it has bacon on top, they're fine. Call it quiche, and they have to pretend not to like it....
..... because they've had their tiny brains filled up with tv commercials.

Some of the very same men will tell you, without the least hint of embarrassment: "Oh yeah? Then how come all the great chefs are men? Huh?"
While this is patently untrue, the men repeating it are quite happy to own the skill, while repudiating the product.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

reasonvemotion wrote:What is this BS!

Had a male friend over for dinner, was wondering what to cook and because it was hot and frankly I didn't want to launch into a heavy meal I decided to make a quiche. I baked the casing first, the filling comprised of goat's cheese, spinach, egg, cream, grated zucchini and semi sun dried tomatoes. It was delicious and I was confident he had enjoyed it. So I asked, (because he wasn't forthcoming with any praise) did you enjoy that?

He said, Real mean don't eat quiche. HA! I said What? he said haven't you heard that saying? and frankly I hadn't. But it intrigued me and I did some research and this is what I came up with.

It's a scientific fact. Researchers at Northwestern University have found that men tend to choose what they perceive as masculine foods, like gravy, rib-eye steaks, and foods described as "hearty," over supposedly feminine foods like red wine sauce and fillets and "luscious" salads, providing support for the old adage that real men don't eat quiche".

He sounds like a total p****. He's not a real man, because real men know the effort taken to dry bake a pastry case , and then prepare the fillings.
"Real men don't eat Quiche" is not any kind of adage I've ever heard.

Dump Him!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

He sounds like a total p****. He's not a real man, because real men know the effort taken to dry bake a pastry case , and then prepare the fillings.
"Real men don't eat Quiche" is not any kind of adage I've ever heard.

Dump Him!
I always find it vaguely amusing the way so many men talk about 'real' men, as if the word 'man' means all that is noble, brave, good, and great. Apparently any man who doesn't fit this bill isn't 'real', because men are never weak or bad or cowardly or selfish. It's telling that women never refer to 'real' or 'not real' women.
As for the quiche thing, it's something from the eighties. A comment that wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It might have been the title of a book or article.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

I can't help but wonder if he was eyeing her hungrily; anticipating the question ' So what do real men eat then?'
Skip

Post by Skip »

You know it was a joke, right?
Not an old adage, but a play of words and imagery, in the game-changing 80's, off the masculine and feminine [Real Women Don't Pump Gas] stereotypes of an earlier time.
In the regressive, humourless, bilious 2010's, a lot of people take that - and all kinds of other - bullshit literally.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

"Real Men" eat whatever tastes good to them, and they aren't cowed by what some beer swilling, low IQ'ed moron in a bar says loudly.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

[ttps://vimeo.com/74236999
Then he can go hungry. My grandchildren eat whatever grandma or I make, or they go hungry.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

thedoc wrote:"Real Men" eat whatever tastes good to them...
Maybe. But they shoot the quiche first, then field dress it on the spot. 8)
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Immanuel Can wrote:
Yank kristian humour. No irony here.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Immanuel Can wrote:
SHOOT IT! - My ass, - a real man wrestles it to the ground and kills it with his bare hands.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Hopefully, wearing nothing but Jockeys and olive oil.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Skip wrote:Hopefully, wearing nothing but Jockeys and olive oil.
Yep, that they squeezed out by hand. "Press! I don't need no stink'in press."
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Real men don't "eat" quiche.

First, they marginalize and oppress it. Then they perpetuate stereotypes about it and devoice it. Then they owe it historical reparations for an indefinite period, even if they didn't eat it.

(Cue the cries of dismay from the Left. :lol: )