Real men don't eat quiche!

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SpheresOfBalance

Re: Real men don't eat quiche!

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Smoked Salmon Quiche with Crispy Potato Crust

Ingredients:
3¼ cups Potato, grated, cooked or Hashbrowns, frozen, thawed & squeezed (really, really) dry
2 tbs. Butter, melted, + 1 tablespoon Butter, whole for greasing pan
1 tbs. Essence (recipe follows or can be bought @ Sams club premixed)
¼ cup Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
2 Leeks, medium, halved & thinly sliced (about 1 cup)(wash these well, known for soil between layers)
½ tsp. Garlic, minced
4 oz. Cream Cheese (at room temperature)
2 tsp. Lemon Juice, fresh
3 ea. Eggs
1 cup Cream, heavy
6 oz. Smoked Salmon (flaked as fine as you desire)
2 tbs. Dill, fresh, chopped
½ tsp. Salt, kosher
½ tsp. Black Pepper, freshly ground

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch deep-dish glass pie plate.
In a bowl, combine the Potatoes, 1 tbs. of the Melted Butter and Essence, and toss to combine. Add the Parmesan Cheese and toss to combine. Press the potato mixture into the prepared pie plate, spreading to evenly cover the bottom and up the sides. Bake until the potatoes are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

Note: It seemed that a deep dish pie plate was a bit much, regular seemed more fitting, unless you have a dedicated Quiche dish of same volume.

Reduce the oven to 350 degrees F.

Pour the remaining tbs. of Butter into a small skillet over medium heat. Add the Leeks and sauté until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the Garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.

Place the Cream Cheese in a large bowl and using a large spoon, stir in the Leeks and Lemon Juice. Add the Eggs, 1 at a time, stirring just until combined. Add the Cream, Salmon, Dill, Salt, and Pepper and mix well.

Pour the Cream Cheese-Salmon mixture into the cooled Potato crust and bake for about 30 minutes, until golden and the batter is set. Cool quiche for 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm or chilled.

I prefer the Hot Smoked Salmon (firm), instead of the Cold Smoked (jelly like), but each to their own. (I hate sushi)

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):

Note: This can be bought premixed complete at Sams Club in the spice area as Emeril's Original Essence. It’s the best tasting premixed Cajun spice I’ve ever had.

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup

Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.

Bon Appétit
uwot

Post by uwot »

Quiche is just an omelette with a crust. All ya gotta do is bake the case blind, otherwise, you might as well line it with shoe leather. While that's cooking, fry whatever your putting in, bacon, leeks, mushrooms, suit yourself, it's your quiche; mix that in with three eggs, a good dollop of cream and a handful of grated cheese. Don't forget to season, and bung in any herbs and spices that float your boat. The pastry should take about 15 to 20 minutes to bake, 200C will do the trick, about the same again once you've put the goo in, but it's done when it's done, so look at it.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

That recipe I posted is a fancy recipe, created by a chef, not I. But for some people there is a time to cook fancy. Some are simply connoisseur's that like fine dining once in a while. My only suggestion is to practice several times until you get it right before cooking for that special someone. ;-)

So uwot, I'm glad to see you are a cook/chef as well. Are you a bachelor or married? A lot of regular guys don't mess around with cooking, though the best chefs are usually men, go figure! And it would seem that most are located in France, or so it's told. ;-)

Anyway the truth is that I love food more than it loves me. In my quest to lose weight I've been on a plateau for quite some time now, more than I care to be.

Finally, I really don't see that 'real' men don't eat quiche. But then real, in this case, is ambiguous at best.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:[
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.

Bon Appétit
Thankyou, I'll try it, I don't mind a long drawn out cooking time, I have made a Chicken Risotto from a book of recipe's "Cooking out of this World" by Anne McCaffrey, a collection of recipe's by science fiction writers.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote:I have made a Chicken Risotto from a book of recipe's
Why didn't you just use chicken?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote:
thedoc wrote:I have made a Chicken Risotto from a book of recipe's
Why didn't you just use chicken?
The book tasted better.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

And yet they'll eat the same ingredients as quiche, in different combinations, and and call themselves the embodiment of He-Man (who wears leggings, incidently).