Do women like to fight?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Do women like to fight?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

What do I mean by fight? These are some examples:

1) Using their fists
2) Using their mouths (yelling screaming, cussing)
3) Do they like to start fights?
4) Are they more likely to pick fights among themselves than with men or vice-versa?
5) What about hair pulling? Is that a preferred method for some?
6) What about throwing shoes? (as I've seen on Jerry Springer)

Women have been referred to as the gentler sex. What do you think about that?

Are tales about the Amazons true?

PhilX
Greta

Re: Do women like to fight?

Post by Greta »

Some do but most don't.
Philosophy Explorer

Greta wrote:Some do but most don't.
I think that drugs and drinking are a factor in this too. I've had a couple that voluntarily told me that they like to fight. It's hard to tell under the circumstances if it's natural or not.

PhilX
Greta

Post by Greta »

I can't say that fighting interests me or any of my women friends. Not even on the radar. Come to think of it, none of my male friends are interested in fighting either, but my nephew and his mates were keen on it in their teens.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I'm actually not a large man (slimmish, 5'-6" (taller with rollerskates lol)), but I trained as a professional wrestler. That's just anecdotal. What I want to convey is, I think it important for women as well to train in some form or other, that they get used to the physical contact involved in fighting, that they may then naturally defend themselves, should the need arise. I'm not talking becoming a black belt here. I'm talking overcoming the shock of the physical contact, that they are comfortable with defending themselves.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skip

Post by Skip »

You might want to differentiate between what people like to do, and what they are capable of doing under different kinds of stress and provocation, or under duress, or for money they need. Maybe also between enjoyment and poor impulse-control, or full-blown mental illness.

Some women do enjoy the adrenalin-rush of confrontation, particularly with a rival (for a job, a mate, a cabbage patch doll, a parking space.... ) just as some men do, though probably in lesser proportions, both of percent population and intensity of encounter. Quite a lot of women enjoy some degree of confrontation, mock fight, and a few, even low-level physical violence, with their sex partners.

Assuming the person is generally well-managed - not suffering from any personality disorders, trauma or sustained psychological stress, in most instances of cursing, screaming, throwing things, door-slamming, etc. it is a cathartic rage, not enjoyment. Either the emotion has been repressed, or the provocation is exceptionally strong. Of course, expressing such volatile feelings may be pleasant, as all venting is: a relief.
Women have been referred to as the gentler sex. What do you think about that?
In a very general way, of course it's true. Look at the crime stats.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote:I think it important for women as well to train in some form or other, that they get used to the physical contact involved in fighting, that they may then naturally defend themselves, should the need arise.
I have operated on the assumption that, if attacked, I'll just have to find a way cope with the aftermath because I'll simply be overpowered - unless I manage a Bruce Lee kick to knee, followed by a quick upcoming knee to the face, a scream for help, and a blinding burst of speed away from the scene ;)

So I'm more focused on my inner strength to better rationalise, contextualise and prioritise trauma. I've not been much chop at it so far but hope springs eternal. Whatever, people usually don't bother you much if you're middle aged, dress for comfort and practicality, and generally look like a mad harpie risen from the bowels of the Earth.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:What do I mean by fight? These are some examples:

1) Using their fists
2) Using their mouths (yelling screaming, cussing)
3) Do they like to start fights?
4) Are they more likely to pick fights among themselves than with men or vice-versa?
5) What about hair pulling? Is that a preferred method for some?
6) What about throwing shoes? (as I've seen on Jerry Springer)
These are mainly examples of violent fighting.

Mental bullying and putting someone under pressure or black-mailing someone are also kinds of fighting but you don´t mean them, Phil, do you ?
A victim of bullying can start screaming helplessly if he is being harassed too much.

Violent fighting is an expression of raw impulses, it is uncivilized behaviour.
Do women let themselves go more often than men do ?

Difficult to say.

Women used to behave themselves better, to control themselves, not to speak their minds (Oscar Wilde´s comedies tell us), in certain cultures at least.
Philosophy Explorer

Duszek said:

"Women used to behave themselves better, to control themselves, not to speak their minds (Oscar Wilde´s comedies tell us), in certain cultures at least."

What has changed to bring this about?

PhilX
duszek

Post by duszek »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Duszek said:

"Women used to behave themselves better, to control themselves, not to speak their minds (Oscar Wilde´s comedies tell us), in certain cultures at least."

PhilX
Feminists argued that in order to be successful women need to copy the behaviour of men, that is to be daring, pushy, out-going, temperamental etc.
Otherwise a woman stays meek, insiginficant, humble, disrespected, not taken seriously.
Philosophy Explorer

duszek wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Duszek said:

PhilX
Feminists argued that in order to be successful women need to copy the behaviour of men, that is to be daring, pushy, out-going, temperamental etc.
Otherwise a woman stays meek, insiginficant, humble, disrespected, not taken seriously.
I think you're referring to the business sense while I'm referring to the social sense. As you already indicated, my primary concern is with the violent tendencies which I believe is underestimated for women based on my experience and have read about.

PhilX
duszek

Post by duszek »

In the social sense or private life I can offer the following explanation:

A woman who earns her own money and prefers to stay on her own needs to defend her own home more because there is no husband to do it for her.

A woman who can stay on her own and prefers to stay on her own does not need to catch a husband by being meek, delicate, helpless etc. These used to be attractive qualities in a bride, I suppose.
Philosophy Explorer

duszek wrote:In the social sense or private life I can offer the following explanation:

A woman who earns her own money and prefers to stay on her own needs to defend her own home more because there is no husband to do it for her.

A woman who can stay on her own and prefers to stay on her own does not need to catch a husband by being meek, delicate, helpless etc. These used to be attractive qualities in a bride, I suppose.
Last I heard, most women are still married (and men too).
For the ones who prefer to stay single, that's fine. As far as catching husbands, good cooking helps along with parenthood (I've also heard that opposites attract). In regards to the attractive qualities, I think they still apply, the only question is to what extent?

PhilX
duszek

Post by duszek »

Yes, you are right, but the divorce rates have risen too, as far as I know.

Power attracts as it has always done.

Powerful women do not have to be uncharming. Cleopatra, Catherine the Great, ...

Times have changed and nowadays husbands could brag with their successful wives.
Bill Clinton could perhaps say one day at a party: my wife is the president, what is your wife ? :D

Being ruthless and violent used to be a means of getting power, nowadays it is more the sneakiness that matters, unfortunately.
Philosophy Explorer

duszek wrote:Yes, you are right, but the divorce rates have risen too, as far as I know.

Power attracts as it has always done.

Powerful women do not have to be uncharming. Cleopatra, Catherine the Great, ...

Times have changed and nowadays husbands could brag with their successful wives.
Bill Clinton could perhaps say one day at a party: my wife is the president, what is your wife ? :D

Being ruthless and violent used to be a means of getting power, nowadays it is more the sneakiness that matters, unfortunately.
Billy boy is more likely to say (if Hillary is elected), "We're the only husband and wife couple that became President of the United States." I can't comment on Cleo and Cathy being uncharming since I didn't personally know them.

As far as people changing, what do you attribute that to? Evolution?

PhilX