~ Philosophical Benefits of a Niqab ~

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

~ Philosophical Benefits of a Niqab ~

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Niqāb
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A niqab (/nɪˈkɑːb/; Arabic: نِقاب‎ niqāb , "veil" also called a ruband) is a cloth that covers the face as a part of sartorial hijab.

It is worn by some Muslim women in public areas and in front of non-mahram adult males, especially in the Hanbali Muslim faith tradition.

The niqab is worn in the Arab countries of the Arabian Peninsula such as Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, and the United Arab Emirates.

The niqab is also worn in countries such as Somalia, Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh as well as some parts of Palestinian-ruled territories, southern provinces of Iran, and additional areas with sizeable Muslim populations.

Because of the wide variety of hijab worn in the Muslim world, it can be difficult to definitively distinguish between one type of veil and another.

The terms niqab and burqa are often incorrectly used interchangeably; a niqab covers the face while a burqa covers the whole body from the top of the head to the ground.

The claimed rationale of the niqab comes from Hadith.

It was known that the wives of the Prophet Muhammad covered themselves around non-mahram men. However the Quran explicitly states that the wives of the Prophet are held to a different standard.

It is claimed that under Islam the niqab is a requirement for the wives of Muhammad. The following verse from the Qur'an is cited as support for this:

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters, and the believing women, to draw their cloaks (veils) over their bodies. That will be better that they should be known (as respectable woman) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."[Quran 33:59 (Translated by Ahmed Ali)]

This verse was in response to harassment on the part of the "hypocrites", although it does not clearly refer to covering the face itself.

It is also argued by some Muslims that the reasons for the niqab are to keep Muslim women from worrying about their appearances and to conceal their looks

Arising_uk

Re: ~ Philosophical Benefits of a Niqab ~

Post by Arising_uk »

When will you be mentioning these philosophical benefits?

Love the irony that you chose an image with unusual eyes. :roll:
Last edited by Arising_uk on Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

The philosophical benefits would be the covering of the beauty of one of Mohammad's women so that the impure men, such as your self, would be unable to google at her beauty.

Also, another philosophical benefit is that the Muslim women do not need to worry about their looks constantly.

...didn't think I would have to EXPLAIN EVERYTHING in this seemingly straightforward thread.

OK. Now that you know...do you have any actual input or opinion in reference to this very specific philosophical thread?

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: The philosophical benefits would be the covering of the beauty of one of Mohammad's women so that the impure men, such as your self, would be unable to google at her beauty.
Who is that a philosophical benefit to?
Also, another philosophical benefit is that the Muslim women do not need to worry about their looks constantly.
Why would you think this? They don't wear the veil at home. You also appear to think women worry about their looks for your sake when they are out and about?

OK. Now that you know...do you have any actual input or opinion in reference to this very specific philosophical thread?

Yup! Stop insulting these women that you claim have a philosophical benefit by wearing the veil with your pictures.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

The Philosophical Benefits of a Niqab -

There. Clear enough for you?

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

And yet their creator told them to hide it?

Although this isn't true as the niqab is a cultural thing as many other muslim societies do not have this requirement.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

True and true.

You just re-packaged what I have already stated.

I do thank you for participating.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.
True and true.

You just re-packaged what I have already stated.

I do thank you for participating.

But pretty much none of what you've posted was you, wikki more than likely, as usual you plagiarize and post as tho' it's you.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Re-read the original post. It's clear that I accredit Wikipedia.

As I have stated before, you're attempting to punch above your pay grade. Doesn't look good on you.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

My apologies.

So what makes you think cutting and pasting from wikki is philosophy?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I use Wikipedia because today, in 2015, Wikipedia is the fountain of all human knowledge.

Philosophy, REAL philosophy should be based upon fact. Based upon logic. Based upon science.

PhilosophyNow also has room for your opinion. Your evolving perspective.

I again, welcome you and all other active members to engage in this very specific serious philosophical topic.

All well to you.

Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

what other forms of slavery has your union master told you to advocate?

-Imp
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:...
Philosophy, REAL philosophy should be based upon fact. Based upon logic. Based upon science.
Then you better stop using wikki and study a science. Better still study Philosophy and learn Logic.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Waaaaait a minute...WAIT A MINUTE!!!

YOU'RE the one who believes in that crazy mind shit that you talked about over a year ago.

Have you NO SHAME?

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

What crazy mind shit? You mean NLP? If so then that is just an epistemology with techniques based upon the experiences of a mathematician and a linguist whilst studying psycho-therapy. That it appears to work explains why such as you would call it crazy-mind shit as achieving goals and outcomes and communicating clearly is not your thing is it. But irony of ironies it is also something very close to what Ouspensky's discipline was trying to achieve, i.e. coherence between the internal and external world but then you'd not be much interested in such things would you.

By the by, I came to that discipline by accident after studying philosophy and then a science and so, unlike you, I came with a critical head rather than just to confirm what I already believed.