Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4441
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:56 am

Not to me as I have them all figured out. But they are the stuff that dreams are made out of:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/why-is ... -a-mystery

PhilX

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6041
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:46 am

Yes. Next question.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4441
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:52 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Yes. Next question.
Even if a woman says they're a mystery?

PhilX

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6041
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:01 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Yes. Next question.
Even if a woman says they're a mystery?

PhilX
Do I even need to answer that? Who is this wonderwoman who speaks for me?

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4197
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by Dalek Prime » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:19 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Yes. Next question.
Even if a woman says they're a mystery?

PhilX
Do I even need to answer that? Who is this wonderwoman who speaks for me?
Who are you to speak for her?

Quit being so overly sensitive. It's not sexist, except in your head, because you want something to bitch about. Which is pretty much everything.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6041
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:59 am

Dalek Prime wrote:
Quit being so overly sensitive. It's not sexist, except in your head, because you want something to bitch about. Which is pretty much everything.
Moron.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4197
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by Dalek Prime » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:05 am

Gesundheit.

Laurajones
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:46 am

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by Laurajones » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:49 am

I thought being thought of mysterious or enigmatic was a good thing?
I've always heard similar descriptions of men "dark and mysterious, etc" as being compliments, not insults.

artisticsolution
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:38 am
Contact:

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by artisticsolution » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:22 pm

Depends on who's saying it and who's hearing it. I am sure that most women would find it charming if someone they were attracted to said it in a sexy and flirtatious way. However, those same women might react just the opposite if someone said it who was not well liked or possessed other unattractive traits.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4197
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by Dalek Prime » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:34 pm

artisticsolution wrote:Depends on who's saying it and who's hearing it. I am sure that most women would find it charming if someone they were attracted to said it in a sexy and flirtatious way. However, those same women might react just the opposite if someone said it who was not well liked or possessed other unattractive traits.
AS, I find you mysterious lol! ;) Happy New Year, BTW.

Skip
Posts: 2224
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by Skip » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:39 pm

If you say "Women are a mystery to me." or "Euclidian Geometry is a mystery to me" you are making a statement only about your own ignorance on a given subject, a state that you alone can judge absolutely. Nobody is offended.

If someone else says, "Women are a mystery to you." that person is making a statement about your ignorance on a given subject. He may be insulting you, or making an observation, or offering instruction. You can take offence, or not. Women have not been offended.
If he says "I think women must be a mystery to you." he's only stating his own opinion, and nobody is offended, but you can pretend to be.

If a woman says "We are a mystery." she's engaging in hyperbole and shouldn't be taken seriously. Nobody's offended.
If she says "Women are a mystery to you" - see above. (insulting you, or making an observation, or offering instruction) If option 3. take her up on the offer: I guarantee she knows something you don't that might be useful to learn. Or, you can be offended.

If a woman says "Women are a mystery to men." she's making a statement about something she can't possibly know, and categorizing an entire sex as ignorant on a particular subject. Men can be offended.
If a man says "Women are a mystery to men." he's only talking about the ignorance of his own sex on a given subject. Men can be offended.
If a man says "Women are a mystery." he begs the question "To whom?" Anyway, it's hyperbole and no-one should be offended.
But the gods may choose to be offended, in which case, the guy is in trouble.

Obvious Leo
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 1:05 am
Location: Australia

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by Obvious Leo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:59 pm

Skip wrote:But the gods may choose to be offended, in which case, the guy is in trouble.
The gods are a mystery to me but women not so much. The big G cannot be a woman because no sheila would be stupid enough to take the gig.

Skip
Posts: 2224
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by Skip » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:41 am

Probably why she shoved the egotist forward and let him claim Omni-everything.

Obvious Leo
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 1:05 am
Location: Australia

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by Obvious Leo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:19 am

Skip wrote:Probably why she shoved the egotist forward and let him claim Omni-everything.
Very likely. The bloke is yet to be born who doesn't love it when a woman tells him how shit-hot he is and the woman is yet to be born who doesn't know how to turn this fact to her advantage. Nothing too mysterious about that.

Skip
Posts: 2224
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Is it sexist to say women are a mystery?

Post by Skip » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:39 am

Ah, but is it sexist to say this? I think so, but it doesn't rate high on the offense scale.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests