Women, does this make you feel good about yourself?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Obvious Leo

Re: Women, does this make you feel good about yourself?

Post by Obvious Leo »

Lacewing wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
Lacewing wrote:Yet, men often seem in combative denial about their own inconsistencies, illogic, and limitations. They really need to frolic and roll around in the grass more.
Running through the woods, naked, as we speak.... Mmmmm.... uh oh, bear!
Obvious Leo wrote:On by best days you will find me pottering in my garden or wandering naked in the forest puffing weed and muttering quatrains from the Rubaiyat. Henceforward I will define this activity as expanding the limited visions of what I'm capable of. I used to just call it thinking.
LOVE IT!!!

Come forth naked men! Dance and be merry!
Be careful what you wish for because I'm not the finely tuned Adonis I once was, although by and large I've kept myself in better shape than most men of my vintage, or women for that matter.

If you've been following my posts on applied metaphysics you'll know that I regard the Ultimate Truth of our universe as the truth of time and gravity, which I merely define as two different expressions of the same thing. A simple glance in the mirror can confirm this.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Well, I believe I'm younger than Leo, but I really can't dance. And the forum members don't call me "Dalek downer" for nothing, except perhaps my love of nothingness. So I guess merry is out as well lol!
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dalek Prime wrote:Well, I believe I'm younger than Leo,
You are younger than me, mate, but not by all that much so this should buck up the spirits of "dalek the downer". Once you get past halfway it's all downhill from there so soon enough it'll all be over. In the meantime, however, we either dance and sing or limp and croak, as the case may be.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Well, I believe I'm younger than Leo,
You are younger than me, mate, but not by all that much so this should buck up the spirits of "dalek the downer". Once you get past halfway it's all downhill from there so soon enough it'll all be over. In the meantime, however, we either dance and sing or limp and croak, as the case may be.
No, really, I'm a terrible dancer. Literally.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dalek Prime wrote:No, really, I'm a terrible dancer. Literally.
That's probably because you're trying to do it while sober. Big mistake. Ask Ginger Rogers.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:No, really, I'm a terrible dancer. Literally.
That's probably because you're trying to do it while sober. Big mistake. Ask Ginger Rogers.
If I danced drunk, I'd only think I was a better dancer. Wouldn't make me one. I do live to laugh, though.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

If one only did slow dancing, does that make somebody a terrible dancer?

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dalek Prime wrote: If I danced drunk, I'd only think I was a better dancer.
That's the whole point. Dancing is not about what you can do, it's about what you think you can do. (This from a bloke who hasn't been seen on a dance floor since Moses was playing football for the Israelites).
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Obvious Leo wrote: Dancing is not about what you can do, it's about what you think you can do.
:lol: Ah yes... wonderful point! And the naked dancing we do when drunk... delightful, heavenly, sacred! Although a bit shocking to think of the next morning.

As it just so happens, I've been drinking and having a wonderful time this evening with a dear friend... so forgive me for my candid and perhaps inappropriate "public" honesty that I'm about to share!! Eeek! I've been lucky enough to have a few experiences in the last few years of being encircled by 8 or so naked men (young and old) by torchlight and under the moon while someone played a flute! It was ABSOLUTELY MAGICAL! And I think: Why must this sort of thing be shocking to us? Think about it -- in ancient times, such a thing was probably common and encouraged. Why have we become so fixated on what we think must be? Bless our hearts... who the hell do we think we are? I share this (boldly with booze) to celebrate the experiences (that I will remember FOR F-ing EVER)... and to inspire those who think that life must be/remain a certain way. There are so many ways we can DO THIS all throughout our lives... to celebrate and have fun with this temporary existence. I think it's good to remember that... for when we're feeling bold and brave enough to let loose. This is IT... let's do it! 8)
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

You certainly have more interesting piss-ups at your joint than I do at mine, Lacewing, but your tale does evoke some fond and distant memories.

Aaaah but alas. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Share the love and keep the peace, as we fading hippies used to say.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Obvious Leo wrote:You certainly have more interesting piss-ups at your joint than I do at mine, Lacewing, but your tale does evoke some fond and distant memories.
Leo, does it feel like you've lived many lives within your lifetime?

I feel like I've continually travelled and experienced more paths than I could have ever imagined at any given time, and maybe that is why I find it unreasonable/impossible to attach to paths, ideas, rules, beliefs, etc. There's just always MORE to experience. And I'm rather empathic toward other people... so I can add my familiarity of THEIR paths to the great pool of possibilities... which also broadens the horizons rather than narrowing things down to black and white. I honestly don't know how people do that -- assign such absolutes from a narrow field of choices. It's like standing on a viewing deck in space, with the universe all around us, yet focusing only on the planets in our solar system, and saying that's all there is. Such contrived limits when so much else is in view (and continually expanding) is incomprehensible to me. Do we humans tend to only acknowledge as valid, what we think we know?
Obvious Leo wrote:Share the love and keep the peace, as we fading hippies used to say.
I think the world could definitely use more of this attitude. I try to practice what I want to experience more of... and it's thrilling to see so many people tuned right into that themselves. That's what keeps me going through the current state of earthly affairs. I think there's STILL SO MUCH MORE to discover and experience. :-)
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Lacewing wrote:Leo, does it feel like you've lived many lives within your lifetime?
"Today is the first day of the rest of your life"

I can't attribute the quote because it's one which dates back to my youth and I can't remember where I picked it up. However I've never forgotten it and it's probably a fair description of my overall world-view.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Lacewing wrote:Leo, does it feel like you've lived many lives within your lifetime?
"Today is the first day of the rest of your life"

I can't attribute the quote because it's one which dates back to my youth and I can't remember where I picked it up. However I've never forgotten it and it's probably a fair description of my overall world-view.
A possible origin to the phrase plus some history:

http://www.quotecounterquote.com/2012/0 ... e.html?m=1

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Well done, Phil. it doesn't surprise me at all that the quote comes from the heady counterculture of the sixties. I was a child of that era and couldn't help but absorb many of its values and those which resonated well with me have stuck to the present day. Nowadays I'm just a crumbling old flower child fading into oblivion but je ne regrette rien.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Greta wrote:Being retired without financial pressure makes me feel good. Being freed from getting up early, commuting, office politics, work pressure, being stuck indoors on nice days, struggling to squeeze in business hours chores, etc.
being stuck working outdoors on crappy days is not that great either, but at least my commute is short - i just have to step out the front door

but i have a long way to go before retirement with no financial pressures