Women, does this make you feel good about yourself?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Women, does this make you feel good about yourself?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

What would it take to make you feel good about yourself?:

http://www.creativebloq.com/illustratio ... g-91517044

PhilX
Greta

Re: Women, does this make you feel good about yourself?

Post by Greta »

Phil, I don't think that older women who loiter around philosophy forums are the target audience.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Greta wrote:Phil, I don't think that older women who loiter around philosophy forums are the target audience.
:lol:
Philosophy Explorer

Greta wrote:Phil, I don't think that older women who loiter around philosophy forums are the target audience.
Don't know what you mean by older women (60+?)

The question remains the same. What would it take for a woman to feel good about herself? Marriage? Childbirth?
(btw has a survey ever been done as to who visits the forums?)

PhilX
Greta

Post by Greta »

Mmmm, let's just say "older" :)

Being retired without financial pressure makes me feel good. Being freed from getting up early, commuting, office politics, work pressure, being stuck indoors on nice days, struggling to squeeze in business hours chores, etc.

As for appearances, mirrors don't do me any favours these days so I don't spend more time in front of them than necessary, except trying out that trick of looking into your eyes in the mirror for extended periods, which is supposed to induce hallucinations. It didn't work for me. Bloody mirrors.
Philosophy Explorer

Greta wrote:Mmmm, let's just say "older" :)

Being retired without financial pressure makes me feel good. Being freed from getting up early, commuting, office politics, work pressure, being stuck indoors on nice days, struggling to squeeze in business hours chores, etc.

As for appearances, mirrors don't do me any favours these days so I don't spend more time in front of them than necessary, except trying out that trick of looking into your eyes in the mirror for extended periods, which is supposed to induce hallucinations. It didn't work for me. Bloody mirrors.
Do you wear makeup?

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:

Do you wear makeup?

PhilX
Do you?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

I've always been more focused on character than appearances... although I used to wear a bit of makeup whenever I went out, and now I go more natural. I feel good from having a good career, a schedule that is my own, good health, a youthful spirit, wonderful friends, a beautiful life that I feel gratitude for every day... AND playfulness that drives me to dress up like a medieval wench now and then. :D I think what feels better than any desirable physical attributes is confidence in one's abilities (on all sorts of levels) -- and rising above the objectification and oppression that women are faced with throughout their lives, which feels something like being a free spirit confined to Planet of the Apes.

Compared to men, being female does not significantly change my values or limit my visions of what I'm capable of. And I like blowing away any stereotypes that say otherwise.
Philosophy Explorer

Lacewing said:

"...AND playfulness that drives me to dress up like a medieval wench now and then. :D"

I've known quite a few playful women.

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Lacewing wrote: Compared to men, being female does not significantly change my values or limit my visions of what I'm capable of.
So it seems you feel that men have fickle values and only limited visions of what they're capable of? You may be right.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:

Do you wear makeup?

PhilX
Not any more, unless you count tinted lip balm. I used to put effort into appearances, but then again there's plenty of things I did when I was young that I don't do today. Been there, done that, philosophise.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Lacewing wrote: Compared to men, being female does not significantly change my values or limit my visions of what I'm capable of.
So it seems you feel that men have fickle values and only limited visions of what they're capable of? You may be right.
Hmm... when you put it that way... yes, I can see the truth in that too! :D Yet, men often seem in combative denial about their own inconsistencies, illogic, and limitations. They really need to frolic and roll around in the grass more.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Lacewing wrote:
Obvious Leo wrote:
Hmm... when you put it that way... yes, I can see the truth in that too! :D Yet, men often seem in combative denial about their own inconsistencies, illogic, and limitations. They really need to frolic and roll around in the grass more.
Running through the woods, naked, as we speak.... Mmmmm.... uh oh, bear!
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Lacewing wrote:They really need to frolic and roll around in the grass more.
On by best days you will find me pottering in my garden or wandering naked in the forest puffing weed and muttering quatrains from the Rubaiyat. Henceforward I will define this activity as expanding the limited visions of what I'm capable of. I used to just call it thinking.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Lacewing wrote:Yet, men often seem in combative denial about their own inconsistencies, illogic, and limitations. They really need to frolic and roll around in the grass more.
Running through the woods, naked, as we speak.... Mmmmm.... uh oh, bear!
Obvious Leo wrote:On by best days you will find me pottering in my garden or wandering naked in the forest puffing weed and muttering quatrains from the Rubaiyat. Henceforward I will define this activity as expanding the limited visions of what I'm capable of. I used to just call it thinking.
LOVE IT!!!

Come forth naked men! Dance and be merry!