23% of college women report being sexually assaulted

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Scott Mayers

Re: 23% of college women report being sexually assaulted

Post by Scott Mayers »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Kayla wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I'm saying that I don't see where the 'crime' is, except that he might have been a groper back in the day. If that's the case then nearly every man I worked with in the 80s was a criminal by today's standards.
the men you worked with grabbed women sexually without worrying about things like whether this was wanted

so now they are criminals

boo hoo

cry me a river
The women didn't exactly seem to mind very much. They certainly weren't 'traumatised'. That's beside the point here anyway. The point is that the case was NOT proven BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT! No one gives a crap what you think. It's irrelevant in a courtroom, or should be.
I think we have to respect this both the direct aggressive general actions as well as the indirect ones. While you are right that some women like this behavior, for the ones it hurts universally from many sources adds up to strong abuse. That is, one can be abused by the cumulative effects of even less apparently harmless direct acts when it occurs everywhere nearly ubiquitous.

However, agreeing to Kayla here, I also expect that this goes both ways. Where men more often are penalized clearly for their direct violations, women do this more often in the indirect forms of abuse in the similar way where the cumulative effect by many women doing this in subtle indirect harmful ways towards men can traumatize them similarly. It appears that in both cases, women still often 'benefit' more often in this discrepancy since it is only more men being actually punished for such crimes with extreme direct force (like prison for instance).

The problem though is partially understandable in that we all as humans cannot penalize what is hard to prove in the different kinds of abuses that get 'hidden' by both sexes upon the other. This is an area I think we should now try to resolve socially.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"would you care to provide references and tell us more about your methodology"

Well, my references are court records, some 'sealed', so I can't post specifics. As for methodolgy: simply tracking the number of dismissed cases, where a supposed victim lied, out of the pool of all cases available to me. That is: out of 100 investigations, 40 were dismissed because the victim lied.

As I say up-thread, my assessment is anecdotal, not definitive, but my gut tells me I'm not far off the mark.

Understand: I'm not trying to diminish the reality of sexual assault (the folks who cry wolf are doin' that).
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:The women didn't exactly seem to mind very much.
fucking christ on a stick, you actually seem to believe this

lets go over some basics here

feminists did not have much difficulty convincing women that being unconsensually groped is sexual assault - if the women actually enjoyed it, it would be hard to convince them that this a bad thing

and yet, despite all their efforts, the more radical feminists had virtually no success convincing women that heterosexual sex is inherently oppressive, even if "consensual" in ordinary patriarchal sense of the word

and do you know why that is?

because most women actually enjoy consensual heterosexual sex. so someone telling them that it is bad is not likely to be taken seriously.

but they do not enjoy being groped - and once they found out that rather than laughing the matter off (which you mistake for enjoyment) they can tell the men to go fuck themselves - they told the men to fuck themselves (or sued them)
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Kayla wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:The women didn't exactly seem to mind very much.
fucking christ on a stick, you actually seem to believe this

lets go over some basics here

feminists did not have much difficulty convincing women that being unconsensually groped is sexual assault - if the women actually enjoyed it, it would be hard to convince them that this a bad thing

and yet, despite all their efforts, the more radical feminists had virtually no success convincing women that heterosexual sex is inherently oppressive, even if "consensual" in ordinary patriarchal sense of the word

and do you know why that is?

because most women actually enjoy consensual heterosexual sex. so someone telling them that it is bad is not likely to be taken seriously.

but they do not enjoy being groped - and once they found out that rather than laughing the matter off (which you mistake for enjoyment) they can tell the men to go fuck themselves - they told the men to fuck themselves (or sued them)
Stupid little girl. Do you know what 'beyond reasonable doubt' means? Clearly not. I don't even know what you are rambling about.
Vor

Post by Vor »

Early morning, I was walking along a bushy bicycle track to the train station. A boy (in a local school uniform) twice my size, approached on a bicycle, as we met, he stopped and grabbed my breasts, we struggled, eye to eye, silently, I didn't scream for help, I don't know why, I was locked in battle with him, he never relinquished his hold on me or his gaze. This went on for a couple of minutes and I finally broke free. I ran along the path to the station and caught my train. I think I was in shock and when I got to my office,(at the time I worked with a couple of psychiatrists) I told them what had happened. This boy was about 17 years of age and because of this, I was prepared to over look what happened.

They pointed out that he had the potential to become a rapist and should be reported. The police became involved and I recognised him from a school photograph.

I didn't press charges, but stipulated his parents should be informed and deal with it accordingly, whether they did or not I will never know.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Stupid little girl. Do you know what 'beyond reasonable doubt' means? ...
Yup! It's what Rolf Harris was convicted on and William Roache wasn't. Although personally I think Roache a roach as there have been rumours about Corrie actors for decades now.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Stupid little girl. Do you know what 'beyond reasonable doubt' means? ...
Yup! It's what Rolf Harris was convicted on and William Roache wasn't. Although personally I think Roache a roach as there have been rumours about Corrie actors for decades now.
No it's not. He was convicted by trash media.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:No it's not. He was convicted by trash media.
But Roache wasn't nor were the other Corrie perverts, how do you reconcile this?
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:No it's not. He was convicted by trash media.
But Roache wasn't nor were the other Corrie perverts, how do you reconcile this?
The mob needed a conviction. So they were found not guilty, but he was, and that's 'proof' of his guilt??? The fact that they weren't convicted and he was just shows what a disgusting farce the whole thing has been.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Vor wrote:Early morning, I was walking along a bushy bicycle track to the train station. A boy (in a local school uniform) twice my size,
this is one of (many) things that men seem to have trouble understanding - the size differential and how scary it can be - and they can mistake fear to respond for consent

when i was in middle school some boys were basically adult size - we are talking 6'+ adult

i am an adult now and still waiting to grow to adult size - i was smaller in middle school

one of those boys grabbed my ass and i stuck a pencil in his face - he had to go to hospital and have the broken off lead removed by a doctor - and ran away

this attracted attention of the principal and such and it turned out he has been assaulting girls for a while - most were just too afraid to do anything (most also do not have my reaction time and running speed and violent streak). apparently the boy did not know girls did not like it.
vegetariantaxidermy

Kayla wrote:
Vor wrote:Early morning, I was walking along a bushy bicycle track to the train station. A boy (in a local school uniform) twice my size,
this is one of (many) things that men seem to have trouble understanding - the size differential and how scary it can be - and they can mistake fear to respond for consent

when i was in middle school some boys were basically adult size - we are talking 6'+ adult

i am an adult now and still waiting to grow to adult size - i was smaller in middle school

one of those boys grabbed my ass and i stuck a pencil in his face - he had to go to hospital and have the broken off lead removed by a doctor - and ran away

this attracted attention of the principal and such and it turned out he has been assaulting girls for a while - most were just too afraid to do anything (most also do not have my reaction time and running speed and violent streak). apparently the boy did not know girls did not like it.
You seem to think your own personal experiences are relevant. My comments were referring to the LAW. Yeah, women are quite capable of lying, and, God forbid, some women even enjoy having their arse pinched. There are all kinds of men, and all kinds of women. Get over it.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:God forbid, some women even enjoy having their arse pinched.
and if you pinch a womans arse without first finding out that it is welcome, and it turns out that it is not welcome, it is assault

so even if concern for the feelings of others is foreign to you, concern for your self increasingly requires that you establish tht arse pinching is welcome, before doing any actual arse pinching
vegetariantaxidermy

Kayla wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:God forbid, some women even enjoy having their arse pinched.
and if you pinch a womans arse without first finding out that it is welcome, and it turns out that it is not welcome, it is assault

so even if concern for the feelings of others is foreign to you, concern for your self increasingly requires that you establish tht arse pinching is welcome, before doing any actual arse pinching
And your point is?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

Hey Bill,

They were talking about arse pinching, not smacking it!

PhilX