23% of college women report being sexually assaulted

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

23% of college women report being sexually assaulted

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I question the study as that seems to be a high figure:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/22/health/ca ... ge-survey/

PhilX

Edit: this report seriously questions the high 23% figure (myth #4):

http://time.com/3222543/5-feminist-myth ... ow_twitter
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Re: 23% of college women report being sexually assaulted

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I question the study as that seems to be a high figure:

PhilX
Do you? What do you base your insight upon?
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:I question the study as that seems to be a high figure:

PhilX
Experience plus frequent reports of women making up stories.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:

PhilX
Experience plus frequent reports of women making up stories.

PhilX
Oh dear, you'll have the thought police down on you like a ton of bricks. Women NEVER make up stories. :D
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/22/health/ca ... ge-survey/

PhilX
According to many of these reports too I find it odd how they often add a precise measure of those who get assaulted but don't report! :roll:

What also gets missed is ANY abuse stats regarding men who get abused too. I'm guessing that whatever that actual stats are for women who get abused, just as many men get abused too unless there is something intrinsic about women who would make them naturally superior moral entities.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Scott Mayers wrote:.... just as many men get abused too unless there is something intrinsic about women who would make them naturally superior moral entities.
Er!? How about that they are intrinsically women and as such are the target for certain males.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Arising_uk wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote:.... just as many men get abused too unless there is something intrinsic about women who would make them naturally superior moral entities.
Er!? How about that they are intrinsically women and as such are the target for certain males.
How do women become 'intrinsically' women? And if you can answer this, how do men become 'intrinsically' men?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I self-employ as a criminal/civil researcher.

Roughly forty percent of the (abuse/rape/molestation) investigations I'm privy to were dismissed, or the accused was acquitted, because the accuser was a liar.

Generalize that out and roughly forty percent of all 'domestic violence/child abuse' cases are probably founded on lies.

This may apply to the 23% as well.

Not downplaying rape or abuse or molestation, but it's damned easy to inflate a molehill into a mountain.
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:...
Roughly forty percent of the (abuse/rape/molestation) investigations I'm privy to were dismissed, or the accused was acquitted, because the accuser was a liar.
Really? Over here its mainly because in these cases its hard to prove.
Generalize that out and roughly forty percent of all 'domestic violence/child abuse' cases are probably founded on lies.
Bit of a stretch of a generalisation.
Not downplaying rape or abuse or molestation, but it's damned easy to inflate a molehill into a mountain.
But you are and ones persons molehill can be a mountain to them but a molehill to others. Put it this way, would you believe you kids if they told you they'd be abused or assaulted? Or would you apply your percentages?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Scott Mayers wrote:How do women become 'intrinsically' women? And if you can answer this, how do men become 'intrinsically' men?
I was using your intrinsic? But in our culture, and in most truth be told, women are viewed and portrayed as only sexual objects and fair game to a fair minority of men. So I find this 23% no surprise. My daughter tells me crude sexual advances are made to her upon a weekly basis and she keeps a very London-wise eye upon males when she is out and about.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re:

henry quirk wrote:I self-employ as a criminal/civil researcher.

This may apply to the 23% as well.

It also makes reporting it that much more difficult for the genuine cases. There should be bigger penalties for those who are using the system for self gain who waste police time.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

If males and females have "intrinsic" characteristics that make them what they are, this would have to be due to their genetic makeup that is a result of the actual successful mating that both men and women 'prefer' in the other. If you, arising_uk assert, assert this, my question to you is whether men require being altered, women require being altered, or both? If you address the problems of abuse based on some genetic factor of males only and expect the men to be penalized ONLY, then do women not also have to alter what kind of men they choose or are they still allowed to select for those male traits that lead to the nature of their abusive qualities?

My point here is that if you accept something "intrinsic" to the sexes, even if you might have some point, what should you expect unless both sexes alter what kind of behavior they select in the other they 'prefer'? If men are more aggressive, then this is as much due to women desiring this quality and so they have no right to complain.

I don't believe this is the truth though. In fact the ONLY reason women do not generally act overtly violent is because of the fact that both men and women select each other mostly based on men being larger and women being smaller. Women too prefer to act out more aggressively by default. But the statistical nature of selection that makes them less physically stronger requires they use other forms of abuse that do not get noticed as they necessarily must be done indirectly. That is why women, for instance, often prefer poisoning over beating their husbands to death.

So what is your own interpretation of the reality and why? What solution are you suggesting?
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Arising_uk wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote:How do women become 'intrinsically' women? And if you can answer this, how do men become 'intrinsically' men?
I was using your intrinsic? But in our culture, and in most truth be told, women are viewed and portrayed as only sexual objects and fair game to a fair minority of men. So I find this 23% no surprise. My daughter tells me crude sexual advances are made to her upon a weekly basis and she keeps a very London-wise eye upon males when she is out and about.
I'm guessing that your daughter's mother was likely relatively 'petite' with respect to yourself if your daughter inherits the quality of being unable to protect herself. Perhaps if you had thought of selecting a large strong woman who may be able to pass on traits that made your daughter tough enough physically, she'd have no problem.

You won't be able to change things so easily now with respect to your daughter's vulnerable genetics, but perhaps you might encourage her to favor a man who might be as meek and petite (I'm doubtful) so she could pass on the genes that might make her male children less aggressive?
vegetariantaxidermy

There's a bit of a difference between a 'crude sexual advance' and a sexual assault.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:There's a bit of a difference between a 'crude sexual advance' and a sexual assault.
Can you give a couple of examples of a "crude sexual advance?"

PhilX