Have you ever felt threatened by a female boss?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Have you ever felt threatened by a female boss?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

That hasn't been my experience. But I think one of my male coworkers has been.

Here's an article:

http://m.phys.org/news/2015-07-men-thre ... osses.html

PhilX
Kayla

Re: Have you ever felt threatened by a female boss?

Post by Kayla »

being a female boss - and being "too young" to be a boss - i dont think men i have to deal with feel threatened by me but they tend to act weird with me because they dont know how to deal with me - they try to act as if they would with a male boss and often screw it up - so sometimes they end up all over the place when it comes to finding the right level of assertiveness

and i have encountered a few situations where men are normal until i am in the vicinity of potentially dangerous farm machinery - in which case they become convinced that i am about to be sucked into it and be gruesomely shredded into pieces - and suddenly start treating me like a child who is around dangerous machinery
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

I refuse to work for the irrational (i.e., women).
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I've been with my wife for 37 years, so have I ever felt threatened by a female boss? Probably not. You sort of get used to it after a while. However I've been self-employed for most of my working life so it's a situation I've never encountered in the workplace. However I very much doubt that I would regard a female boss as a threat.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I would rather have a male boss any day. Women think they have to be bitches, and can't handle the power.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I would rather have a male boss any day. Women think they have to be bitches, and can't handle the power.
So that we can get an idea of the statistical significance of this anecdotal statement how big a sample size are we talking about? How many women bosses have you had in your working life?
vegetariantaxidermy

Obvious Leo wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I would rather have a male boss any day. Women think they have to be bitches, and can't handle the power.
So that we can get an idea of the statistical significance of this anecdotal statement how big a sample size are we talking about? How many women bosses have you had in your working life?
It's only the internet, not a peer-reviewed paper. Just saying what I think.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I was a bit worried that the Bob Evenson school of philosophical discourse might have acquired a new member.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

i had some female and male supervisors while working at McDonalds and as a lifeguard

from a limited sample size, a man is much more likely to be an ok boss than a horrible boss or a really good boss

a woman is more likely to be an amazing boss, but also more likely to be a horrible boss

also female bosses, even the pretty horrible bad ones, are more understanding than most men about family emergencies and premenstrual cramps - a lot of men, even otherwise sane ones, seem to believe the latter are somethign we fake to get out of work and to get sympathy
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Kayla wrote:i had some female and male supervisors while working at McDonalds and as a lifeguard

from a limited sample size, a man is much more likely to be an ok boss than a horrible boss or a really good boss

a woman is more likely to be an amazing boss, but also more likely to be a horrible boss

also female bosses, even the pretty horrible bad ones, are more understanding than most men about family emergencies and premenstrual cramps - a lot of men, even otherwise sane ones, seem to believe the latter are somethign we fake to get out of work and to get sympathy
My brother was formerly the CEO of a major corporation which had a very enlightened approach to sexism in the workplace. He would agree with the general thrust of these comments because he found that at the shop-floor level the appointment of women supervisors often led to sexism problems whereas at the higher levels of management these problems seemed to disappear. Having said that, for every sweeping generalisation it is never difficult to find plenty of notable exceptions and his feeling was that the overall workplace culture was a far more significant factor when it came to the appointment of women into management positions. Redefining a workplace culture is a major project which can span many years, if not decades, and the impetus for this must always come from the top.
vegetariantaxidermy

Obvious Leo wrote:I was a bit worried that the Bob Evenson school of philosophical discourse might have acquired a new member.
Oops, my inner troll escaped its cage for a few seconds. :D Actually men can get into jobs at the highest level while being total morons. Women have to be virtual geniuses. That has always puzzled me. Imagine a woman President of the US as retarded as Bush jr. It would never happen.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Imagine a woman President of the US as retarded as Bush jr. It would never happen.
Sarah Palin was hardly the brightest penny ever minted and yet her moronic party gave her a chance at it.
vegetariantaxidermy

Obvious Leo wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Imagine a woman President of the US as retarded as Bush jr. It would never happen.
Sarah Palin was hardly the brightest penny ever minted and yet her moronic party gave her a chance at it.
I forgot about her. Only in the US. She might have been a genius compared to the psychopathic Bush though.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

George was doing god's work. Anybody that deranged is always scary, male or female.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Obvious Leo wrote:I was a bit worried that the Bob Evenson school of philosophical discourse might have acquired a new member.
Oops, my inner troll escaped its cage for a few seconds. :D Actually men can get into jobs at the highest level while being total morons.
men (and boys for that matter) are, from what i can tell, much more prone than women or girls to be really confident in themselves regardless of whether or not there is any basis for this confidence in reality - and it is possible to get very far on confidence alone - and if you pick up some skill at shifting blame along the way, you can write your own ticket as the saying goes