Is "Feminist" a Fair Term?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Is "Feminist" a Fair Term?

Post by Gary Childress »

So we often seem to talk about "feminist" philosophers as though there is something unique about women philosophizing about their place in the world. We don't seem to refer to many male philosophers as "malist" philosophers for philosophizing about their place in the world. We just call them "philosophers". Is "feminist" really a fair way of referring to female philosophers?

Thoughts?
Melchior

Re: Is "Feminist" a Fair Term?

Post by Melchior »

Gary Childress wrote:So we often seem to talk about "feminist" philosophers as though there is something unique about women philosophizing about their place in the world. We don't seem to refer to many male philosophers as "malist" philosophers for philosophizing about their place in the world. We just call them "philosophers". Is "feminist" really a fair way of referring to female philosophers?

Thoughts?
Go away.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Melchior wrote:
Gary Childress wrote:So we often seem to talk about "feminist" philosophers as though there is something unique about women philosophizing about their place in the world. We don't seem to refer to many male philosophers as "malist" philosophers for philosophizing about their place in the world. We just call them "philosophers". Is "feminist" really a fair way of referring to female philosophers?

Thoughts?
Go away.
Why? Because we see things differently?
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Gary Childress wrote:
Melchior wrote:

Thoughts?
Go away.
Why? Because we see things differently?
No, because every thread you start is idiotic, as are all of your posts.

"if they ever put all the clips they're ever gotten of me together they'd see that I'm a moron and stop asking me questions."

- Andy Warhol from The Andy Warhol Diaries
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

A 'feminist' is a person, male or female, who espouses feminism. Now go away, moron!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

It's a horrible word, like most words that end in 'ist' that aren't actual professions. The only kind of thinking that matters is rational thinking. Labels are for mindless zombies.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Melchior wrote:A 'feminist' is a person, male or female, who espouses feminism. Now go away, moron!
And what is "feminism"?
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Gary Childress wrote:
Melchior wrote:A 'feminist' is a person, male or female, who espouses feminism. Now go away, moron!
And what is "feminism"?
Marxism with the word 'class' crossed out and the word 'sex' added in crayon.

You're a blithering idiot.

https://youtu.be/pnq96W9jtuw
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Melchoir, there is more to thinking than simply slinging insults and I've reported you to the moderators. Either stop behaving like a child or I will leave this forum. I come here looking for some modicum of civility and sanity which I had hoped to find somewhere on the Internet. Unfortunately people like you have reduced this forum to an intellectual slum.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Gary Childress wrote:Melchoir, there is more to thinking than simply slinging insults and I've reported you to the moderators. Either stop behaving like a child or I will leave this forum. I come here looking for some modicum of civility and sanity which I had hoped to find somewhere on the Internet. Unfortunately people like you have reduced this forum to an intellectual slum.
You're not worth insulting. You're too fucking stupid to understand anything, even insults.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Congrats, you are the first and only person to make my ignore list. Bye.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Feminism is the ideological doctrine that women are oppressed. Men or women can be feminists. But you're so fucking stupid you don't even know what 'feminism' is, so you can't even ask anything intelligent about it.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Thoughts?
I would suggest that if a person is doing philosophy, you should just call them a philosopher. Feminist has no place in this debate, and a Feminist-philosopher is an oxymoron. In my understanding a true feminist is a female or male who is striving for equality, those who want to denigrate males would better be referred to as Feminazi.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

thedoc wrote:

Thoughts?
I would suggest that if a person is doing philosophy, you should just call them a philosopher. Feminist has no place in this debate, and a Feminist-philosopher is an oxymoron. In my understanding a true feminist is a female or male who is striving for equality, those who want to denigrate males would better be referred to as Feminazi.
On the presupposition that there is 'inequality' to begin, which is hardly the case.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

it is a useless word

that if i am told that 'joan is a feminist'

this does not by itself tell me anything whatsoever about joan - unless i know the speaker's attitude towards 'feminists' -

in which case all i get is either 'joan is cool' or 'joan is a bitch'

but nothing substantive