On women

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hegesias

On women

Post by Hegesias »

I guess I'm pretty cynical about women. In my 20's I thought pick up artists were really cool guys but one day this gigalo wannabe was telling me about all these great women he'd dated and I thought to myself, eh...why aren't you still with one of these great women? Pick up artists are the kind of guys who don't have enough of interest to sustain longterm relationships with women. So I tend to have a bad impression of the Manosphere and much of the Men's Rights crowd. I'm pretty sure they're mostly losers.

Having said that I do have a big beef with modern feminists and "LGBT" radicals and so on. And I'm sick of the anti-men propaganda spewing out of the media and academia. It's pretty disturbing. I've had a lot of bad experiences with neurotic and creepy women too. Of course we never hear about that kind of stuff. Only men can ever do wrong. And if she changes her mind in the morning you better be careful. Never flirt with a woman who doesn't like you and is unstable. That could be sexual harassment! Anyway, this is probably a family site so I'll leave it there.
Dalek Prime

Re: On women

Post by Dalek Prime »

Is your problem with liberal feminism, or radical, watchman?

Anyways, all I see here is one big whine. What is your point in starting this thread?
Hegesias

Post by Hegesias »

Dalek Prime wrote:Is your problem with liberal feminism, or radical, watchman?
Second and third wave feminism and gender studies and cultural Marxism.

Anyways, all I see here is one big whine. What is your point in starting this thread?
To discuss / critique thr above.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Could you be a little more vague?
Hegesias

Post by Hegesias »

Dalek Prime wrote:Could you be a little more vague?
You're kind of breaking the flow here. Okay, essentially I wanted to complain about feminists, discredit some of their oft cited "statistics" and then complain about how society treats men unfairly in a lot of ways many haven't thought about. And how men deal with "sexual harassment" - ie, unwanted attention, compared to how women do. That sort of thing. This is the "gender" subforum after all. Although I always thought words have genders and people have a sex...either one or the other. Point being there's only two of them.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Hegesias wrote: Okay, essentially I wanted to complain about feminists,
And you will show how this is not a whine, of course.
discredit some of their oft cited "statistics"
And what prevented you? We're not all innumerate and have Google for quick reference-checking.
and then complain about how society treats men unfairly in a lot of ways many haven't thought about.
Of whom is this unfair society comprised? What, for example, is the gender proportion of its top three tiers of legislators, prelates, justices, civil servants, media executives, college administrations and business magnates? Just curious who it is that's picking on you.
And how men deal with "sexual harassment" - ie, unwanted attention, compared to how women do.
That might be an interesting comparison.
.... Although I always thought words have genders and people have a sex...either one or the other. Point being there's only two of them.
You don't get out much?
Hegesias

Post by Hegesias »

Skip wrote:
Hegesias wrote: Okay, essentially I wanted to complain about feminists,
And you will show how this is not a whine, of course.
discredit some of their oft cited "statistics"
And what prevented you? We're not all innumerate and have Google for quick reference-checking.
and then complain about how society treats men unfairly in a lot of ways many haven't thought about.
Of whom is this unfair society comprised? What, for example, is the gender proportion of its top three tiers of legislators, prelates, justices, civil servants, media executives, college administrations and business magnates? Just curious who it is that's picking on you.
And how men deal with "sexual harassment" - ie, unwanted attention, compared to how women do.
That might be an interesting comparison.
.... Although I always thought words have genders and people have a sex...either one or the other. Point being there's only two of them.
You don't get out much?
In answer to your question, more women go to university in industrialised nations than men. There is no "pay gap" when measured properly, and disparities in certain professions can be reasonably be accounted for by differences between the sexes.

Women have been molly coddled and given special treatment just like ethnic minorities. Special privilege has been legally codified in anti-discrimination legislation - an egregious breach of the principle of equality before the law.
Skip

Post by Skip »

In answer to your question, more women go to university in industrialised nations than men.
Which countries? How many? What universities? What courses? What percent post-graduate? Do you have sources?
There is no "pay gap"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_pay ... 9-2005.gif
when measured properly,
Oh, I get it! Turn the graph the other way up, and voila!
and disparities in certain professions can be reasonably be accounted for by differences between the sexes.
I can't wait to hear the reasonable accounting.
Special privilege has been legally codified in anti-discrimination legislation
Show me how non-discrimination bestows special privilege. Or, indeed, how discrimination guarantees equality before law?
Hegesias

Post by Hegesias »

Okay, I've got a confession to make. I'm a political junkie and I shouldn't have started a political thread. I've been through this same argument too many times and I'd just be wasting my own time and yours. So I'm going to bow out before it gets started. Sorry about that. :(
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

You didn't do anything wrong with starting a thread, Hegesias. But the OP left you wide open to criticism, it being unfocused, generalized, subjective, and lacking in evidence. It's not a loss. The experience will guide you better the next thread you start.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Second that.

When you make accusations, people usually expect proofs.
Hegesias

Post by Hegesias »

Um...that wasn't a face saving exercise on my part. It was a nice way of saying, I'm right; you're wrong. I'm sick of arguing with people who are wrong on this subject.
Skip

Post by Skip »

In that case, i'll have to revise my judgment. You're an ass.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I second that, Skip. He's an ass.
Hegesias

Post by Hegesias »

Dalek Prime wrote:I second that, Skip. He's an ass.
I must say, I was quite surprised to find women here on a philosophy forum; you know, given the "differences" in cognitive and emotional functions between men and women. I'm not saying all women are neurotic / unbalanced and dull but you don't really come across many female philosophers of significance do you?