On women

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skip

Re: On women

Post by Skip »

I'm sure you'll understand that I was being facetious
I know. Just putting it on the record. Me, I'm all for the skillet solution. In theory. Practice becomes problematic. Usually, the perp just sits down next to the body, until somebody finds them. Sometimes they call for an ambulance and plead with the paramedics to save their husband. People are so damn breakable!
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Hegesias wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:I second that, Skip. He's an ass.
I must say, I was quite surprised to find women here on a philosophy forum; you know, given the "differences" in cognitive and emotional functions between men and women. I'm not saying all women are neurotic / unbalanced and dull but you don't really come across many female philosophers of significance do you?

Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Donkey punch?
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Hegesias wrote: And I'm sick of the anti-men propaganda spewing out of the media and academia. It's pretty disturbing.
could you be more specific?

and do "man hating feminists" come even close to drunk rednecks and frat boys when it comes to contempt for the opposite gender?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Not even remotely, Kayla. Frat boys and rednecks are in their own league of ignorance.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Dalek Prime wrote:Not even remotely, Kayla. Frat boys and rednecks are in their own league.
more generally a lot of guys especially when drunk with other guys will speak the same language of contempt

i broke up with my first boyfriend after i overheard him talking to his friends about things that we did and the way he was talking i was just a.....w ell there is no polite word for it...... an orifice

i was devastated

my mom told me that if things like that bother me that much i woudl be better off becoming a lesbian

to be fair my second (and last) boyfriend was not like that and we broke up because of vastly differnt ideas of what to do post high school - he kind of assumed that i would just do what he wnats after high school

and yes i became a lesbian

and i find it difficult to take seriuosly guys complaining about man-hating feminists
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Kayla wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Not even remotely, Kayla. Frat boys and rednecks are in their own league.
more generally a lot of guys especially when drunk with other guys will speak the same language of contempt

i broke up with my first boyfriend after i overheard him talking to his friends about things that we did and the way he was talking i was just a.....w ell there is no polite word for it...... an orifice

i was devastated

my mom told me that if things like that bother me that much i woudl be better off becoming a lesbian

to be fair my second (and last) boyfriend was not like that and we broke up because of vastly differnt ideas of what to do post high school - he kind of assumed that i would just do what he wnats after high school

and yes i became a lesbian

and i find it difficult to take seriuosly guys complaining about man-hating feminists
Hmm, I thought that sexuality wasn't a choice. I don't care whether it is or not, it's just that you seem to be supporting the christian fundamentalist position.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Hmm, I thought that sexuality wasn't a choice. I don't care whether it is or not, it's just that you seem to be supporting the christian fundamentalist position.
i always found girls attractive - so it was an easy choice to make

finding girls attractive - that was not a matter of choice

i have met girls and women who say they wished they could get into other girls - but girls just do not interest them in this way
vegetariantaxidermy

Kayla wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Hmm, I thought that sexuality wasn't a choice. I don't care whether it is or not, it's just that you seem to be supporting the christian fundamentalist position.

i have met girls and women who say they wished they could get into other girls - but girls just do not interest them in this way
I'm pretty sure that lesbian relationships are fraught with the same difficulties as heterosexual ones.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I hear you, Kayla. Preaching to the choir. :)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Kayla wrote:

I'm pretty sure that lesbian relationships are fraught with the same difficulties as heterosexual ones.
I'm sure they can be. But there is not the masculine contempt involved.
vegetariantaxidermy

I don't know why there's such hostility towards the OP. Some of what he says is true. I'm a woman, and I have always been my own person. I've never been able to be subservient to anyone, but I don't have any time for some of the so-called 'feminists' that abound at the moment. eg. The idiot who said it felt like rape when a guy in a lift asked her for a coffee in a hotel. That just insults genuine rape victims. Many of them also claim that 'all men are rapists', which is patent rubbish. There really are bullshit Uni courses on 'women's studies', and 'feminist studies' etc. Education systems ARE biased towards females now; it was a deliberate act of social engineering in the 1980s. Before that, males traditionally did better than females in most subjects. Extremists of any kind are nut-jobs by definition.
I would be the first to admit that I can't think of any great female philosophers------or composers, or inventors, or explorers, or artists....I'm sure there are exceptions, there always are. Women are too busy hating each other to achieve anything much.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

The OP is a mess of assumptions and generalizations, and he wouldn't back them up. He proved to be a bit of a jerk, and that's me being generous.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hegesias wrote:I guess I'm pretty cynical about women. In my 20's I thought pick up artists were really cool guys but one day this gigalo wannabe was telling me about all these great women he'd dated and I thought to myself, eh...why aren't you still with one of these great women? Pick up artists are the kind of guys who don't have enough of interest to sustain longterm relationships with women. So I tend to have a bad impression of the Manosphere and much of the Men's Rights crowd. I'm pretty sure they're mostly losers.

Having said that I do have a big beef with modern feminists and "LGBT" radicals and so on. And I'm sick of the anti-men propaganda spewing out of the media and academia. It's pretty disturbing. I've had a lot of bad experiences with neurotic and creepy women too. Of course we never hear about that kind of stuff. Only men can ever do wrong. And if she changes her mind in the morning you better be careful. Never flirt with a woman who doesn't like you and is unstable. That could be sexual harassment! Anyway, this is probably a family site so I'll leave it there.
It's not a family site. You can say pretty much what you want.
A bit of advice - you need to stop thinking of people as pert of some group or other, but try to figure out each person by looking at their own merits and characteristics.
In my experience, and i'm in my 50s, people who 'pigeon-hole' people, tend to see only what they expect - be that race, gender, or nationality.
If you want to be a decent person, and find someone worthwhile - then drop the fucking labels; ask questions; get interested; and explore without prejudice.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Hegesias wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:I second that, Skip. He's an ass.
I must say, I was quite surprised to find women here on a philosophy forum; you know, given the "differences" in cognitive and emotional functions between men and women. I'm not saying all women are neurotic / unbalanced and dull but you don't really come across many female philosophers of significance do you?

:shock:

Hilarious....nope, there aren't.