On women

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: On women

Post by Dalek Prime »

For the reasons I've stated, Melchior, which you noticeably left out in quoting the conversation.

"Asses like you kept them from most professions and occupations throughout the ages, dismissing their ideas as you have. I only pray you value your future bride better than you do the rest of womanhood."
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hegesias wrote: I must say, I was quite surprised to find women here on a philosophy forum; you know, given the "differences" in cognitive and emotional functions between men and women. I'm not saying all women are neurotic / unbalanced and dull but you don't really come across many female philosophers of significance do you?
Jesus - you sound like a sad p**** who's never been laid.

Despite banging their heads on the glass ceiling there are several very good female philosophers, it's just that you are ignorant of them.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I'm pretty sure that lesbian relationships are fraught with the same difficulties as heterosexual ones.
different difficulties

in particular with girls being trained to be nice and accomodating it is very easy for problems to build up without being addresed until things blow up

and its very easy to get into the "lets do what you want" - "no, lets do what YOU want" sort of nonsense
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Dalek Prime wrote: I'm sure they can be. But there is not the masculine contempt involved.
from what i have seen - and been told by friends - most guys have a 'i am a master of the house and everyone will do as i tell them!' hiding inside

some guys have that more under control than others - but it can come out and it can be scary

i saw this in my last boyfriend - he was gentle, considerate, romantic and all sorts of things - and when we started talking about our post high school plans - and we had very different ideas of that - eventually in the discussion that part of him came out and it was scary - i ended up fleeing in tears and he was like 'what did i say?'

with girls its more like to be a passive-agressive inner bitch hiding inside
Vor

Post by Vor »

Never flirt with a woman who doesn't like you and is unstable.

:lol:
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Kayla wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: I'm sure they can be. But there is not the masculine contempt involved.
from what i have seen - and been told by friends - most guys have a 'i am a master of the house and everyone will do as i tell them!' hiding inside

some guys have that more under control than others - but it can come out and it can be scary

i saw this in my last boyfriend - he was gentle, considerate, romantic and all sorts of things - and when we started talking about our post high school plans - and we had very different ideas of that - eventually in the discussion that part of him came out and it was scary - i ended up fleeing in tears and he was like 'what did i say?'

with girls its more like to be a passive-agressive inner bitch hiding inside
Funny, I was just discussing this with a 19 year old woman, whose 26 yo mate is making all the plans for their life, and she's wondering where she fits into it.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Kayla wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Hmm, I thought that sexuality wasn't a choice. I don't care whether it is or not, it's just that you seem to be supporting the christian fundamentalist position.
i always found girls attractive - so it was an easy choice to make

finding girls attractive - that was not a matter of choice

i have met girls and women who say they wished they could get into other girls - but girls just do not interest them in this way
I'm pretty sure that lesbian relationships are fraught with the same difficulties as heterosexual ones.
From what I have heard, it's worse.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Melchior wrote:
I've heard that too, that they beat the crap out of each other.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Dalek Prime wrote: Funny, I was just discussing this with a 19 year old woman, whose 26 yo mate is making all the plans for their life, and she's wondering where she fits into it.
age difference would make it worse - 7 years is a lot at that age - regardless of gender

there is a tendency for the 25-30 crowd to treat anyone 20 or under as children
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:ve heard that too, that they beat the crap out of each other.
would be intersting to see actual studies on this, if any

not something that happened in my relationship - not even close - we very much prefer girly passive agression - nothing like "lets do waht you want. no lets do what YOU want!" to drive your significant other round the bend

saying i am not aware of this among any of my friends and acquiaintances is not sayng much cause we tend to associate with people like us, and many victims of domestic violence dont tell anyone
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I know of one case of domestic violence in a lesbian relationship. The money issue was unequal, and one treated the other as a sugar daddy would.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Melchior wrote:
I didn't mean that. They are very jealous and break up often.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Melchior wrote:I didn't mean that. They are very jealous and break up often.
dont know if its more often but there is certainly more drama

and you know how even straight girls can get very jealous in their friendships sometimes - add sexual jealously to that and the possibilities for drama are endless
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Melchior wrote:
Melchior wrote:
I didn't mean that. They are very jealous and break up often.
With jealousy often comes physical confrontation.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: With jealousy often comes physical confrontation.
Perhaps, but that's not what I have heard.