Womyn and Philosophy

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by HexHammer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:32 pm

Londoner wrote:
HexHammer wrote:"It is all a matter of logical thinking!" Exactly, and you lack that, you don't know what you are saying.
Yet you never point out any mistakes in my reasoning.

All this emotion, expressed in insults. This tendency to reduce arguments to the personal.

Ironical.
Patience, I need to summon some strength to talk to the likes of you.

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:26 pm

Londoner wrote:
HexHammer wrote:"It is all a matter of logical thinking!" Exactly, and you lack that, you don't know what you are saying.

All this emotion, expressed in insults. This tendency to reduce arguments to the personal.

Ironical.
I've tried to reason well with you, but you have the logic of a very small child and mess up comprehending very simple things, why I see it either as trolling or you have the mental aptitude of a very small child, either way it's waste of time talking with you, step up your game and we can talk again.

Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Greta wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:It is true to say two seemingly incompatible things about the generalised ability of boys and girls: boys are more smart and less smart than girls.
The ability graphs show boys stretched out at both ends, wheras girls are more like a bell curve.
That's interesting and probably matches my observations.

I will concede that men tend to have better taste in music than women - less inclined towards infernal pop pap featuring post-apes endlessly keening or bragging about their frickin' reproduction-based projects :lol:
Yes, the graph I was thinking about was based on years of SATS scores, and tends to be repeated right across the West. More boys fail than girls, but more boys hit the highs than girls, who are more reliably solid scorers.

You are right about music, in my experience. Boys who like music love to know more about it; groups, who's in who's out; band history etc. They tend to be more serious listeners too, whereas girls tend not to be so interested in playing too.
I think after such a long time with equality bashed into kids at school, the likelihood is that it is not just about following examples. My generation had plenty of tole models for girls; Girlschool, Annie Lennox, The Slits, Suzi Quattro, And several Punks, but still few girls want to form bands.

And why the hell do females think Boy Bands are cool?

Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:38 pm

HexHammer wrote:Only about 3% of women reaches the top, thus are equal or better than men, because other women lack the logical thinking ability.
Assuming your assertion is corroborated by some sort of solid evidence, why is it that women "lack logical thinking"? Is it because of some sort of failing on the part of women's brains or is it because of whatever ways women are shaped by our society. I mean I've seen a lot of very capable women in lower management positions. What is different about upper management positions?

Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:43 pm

HexHammer wrote:Only about 3% of women reaches the top, thus are equal or better than men, because other women lack the logical thinking ability.
This statement is inherently meaningless.
Since you have not said what percentage of men 'reach the top' (whatever that is), then you are just blowing hot air.
You are also assuming that "logical thinking" is relevant to this endeavour, when the possession of the gene for psychopath predict well for top jobs in many fields.
It also ignores the fact - I stated above that men also stay at the bottom more than women. I wonder how you account for that - though I doubt your logical thinking ability is good enough.

Greta

Post by Greta » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:27 am

Londoner wrote:

Ironical.
I gave up on him after the latest.

As is now obvious to all, HH has argued in this thread that women are more illogical than men by way of ungrounded and certainly unproven arguments, inevitably followed by insulting emotional outbursts. Moving right along ...

Greta

Post by Greta » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:06 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:You are right about music, in my experience. Boys who like music love to know more about it; groups, who's in who's out; band history etc. They tend to be more serious listeners too, whereas girls tend not to be so interested in playing too.
The latter is changing. For many years it was considered to be unfeminine to be non-classical musician. In popular music our role has long been that of the songbird. Unless one sings like a sick crow, in which case if one wants to be part of the fun one needs to learn an instrument and for the me the choice was a no-brainer.

So often I had women saying to me after gigs, "I wish I could play drums!" and I'd say, "Why not start?". The response was always along the lines of "I just can't". That is against the programming that says women should be demure. Women have always lived with these hangover constrictions inherited from much more patriarchal societies of the past. This complicates any attempt to compare relative performances of the genders. Males too have their own constrictions in relation to what is "acceptable" for a man, which complicates the matter further.

Why was I not too intimidated to learn drum? I was unpopular and spent a lot of time by myself so it didn't much matter. I just had to get past Dad's misgivings (which wasn't too hard lol).

So I was always suspicious of gender based taboos. Now I see them as archaic, like religions, old wives tales and old mistaken "common knowledge". No doubt some taboos assisted in promoting social order in the smaller societies of earlier times. They would have been mostly applicable for those in their peak reproductive years, which would have comprised all of most people's adult lives at the time. These hangovers from the past will gradually dissipate, as everything does.
Hobbes' Choice wrote:And why the hell do females think Boy Bands are cool?
Not all. I was an outsider and more into trying out intoxicants and noisy rock that I supposed helped to express my anger at the way other juvenile post-apes behaved towards me.

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:45 am

Gary Childress wrote:
Assuming your assertion is corroborated by some sort of solid evidence, why is it that women "lack logical thinking"? Is it because of some sort of failing on the part of women's brains or is it because of whatever ways women are shaped by our society. I mean I've seen a lot of very capable women in lower management positions. What is different about upper management positions?
Hi Gary, good you ask some critical questions.
1) At the middle it only requires rudimentary logic, and not logical skills on a genus lvl or just high logical skills.

2) observing life, met quite a lot of people in life, most guys has a rudimentary logic, but many women totally fails at this, specially Femi Nazis that complain about "Glass Ceiling", but they will ignore big business where the boss is female and hire men as directors. There was an interview with the female boss of the Danish gov TV channel "Danmarks Radio" who claimed (long story short) that women just doesn't have what it takes.

Also we have had a female police boss, and she would also primarily promote male police chiefs.

It's no different in other countries.

3) all major gender studies points towards having the logical thinking abilities, because they were bred for battle, hunting, problem solving skills, etc, where women was home at the cave and had to make food and attend babies which only required rudimentary logic.

Women has better memory than men.

Londoner

Post by Londoner » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:28 am

HexHammer wrote:
1) At the middle it only requires rudimentary logic, and not logical skills on a genus lvl or just high logical skills.
Can you give an example of which logical skills are 'rudimentary' and which are 'high'?

Then we can seek some empirical evidence, by asking women if they can understand the second type.

Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:24 am

Greta wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:You are right about music, in my experience. Boys who like music love to know more about it; groups, who's in who's out; band history etc. They tend to be more serious listeners too, whereas girls tend not to be so interested in playing too.
The latter is changing. For many years it was considered to be unfeminine to be non-classical musician. In popular music our role has long been that of the songbird. Unless one sings like a sick crow, in which case if one wants to be part of the fun one needs to learn an instrument and for the me the choice was a no-brainer.

So often I had women saying to me after gigs, "I wish I could play drums!" and I'd say, "Why not start?". The response was always along the lines of "I just can't". That is against the programming that says women should be demure. Women have always lived with these hangover constrictions inherited from much more patriarchal societies of the past. This complicates any attempt to compare relative performances of the genders. Males too have their own constrictions in relation to what is "acceptable" for a man, which complicates the matter further.

Why was I not too intimidated to learn drum? I was unpopular and spent a lot of time by myself so it didn't much matter. I just had to get past Dad's misgivings (which wasn't too hard lol).

So I was always suspicious of gender based taboos. Now I see them as archaic, like religions, old wives tales and old mistaken "common knowledge". No doubt some taboos assisted in promoting social order in the smaller societies of earlier times. They would have been mostly applicable for those in their peak reproductive years, which would have comprised all of most people's adult lives at the time. These hangovers from the past will gradually dissipate, as everything does.
Hobbes' Choice wrote:And why the hell do females think Boy Bands are cool?
Not all. I was an outsider and more into trying out intoxicants and noisy rock that I supposed helped to express my anger at the way other juvenile post-apes behaved towards me.
I'm thinking of selling my vintage Slingerland. Are you interested? :lol:

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:12 am

Londoner wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
Can you give an example of which logical skills are 'rudimentary' and which are 'high'?

Then we can seek some empirical evidence, by asking women if they can understand the second type.
Any sport as esport, women doesn't reach very high, and only 3% women in chess has reached grand master or was it master?.

If one doesn't have the intellect, one will not have the interest for it.

Londoner

Post by Londoner » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:23 am

HexHammer wrote:
Londoner wrote:
HexHammer wrote:

Any sport as esport, women doesn't reach very high, and only 3% women in chess has reached grand master or was it master?.

If one doesn't have the intellect, one will not have the interest for it.
Did you understand the question?

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:51 am

Londoner wrote:Did you understand the question?
Aah, you have some intellect after all. Good!

I indirectly did. It's strategically thinking, holistically, abstract, critical. Having killer instinct, daring, etc.

You are glaringly ignorant and wants to be spoon fed every little single thing, you should start reading up on scientific things from the source, instead of getting everything served in a half baked way, here on the forum, why I will put you on ignore since you are just a leach.

iMod

Post by iMod » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:06 pm

Throng wrote:I need to clarify a personal boundary issue. Denigrating, insulting and/or abusive aspersions aren't acceptable to me, and because I personally can do nothing to influence consideration and respect with regards to other people, in order to maintain this personal boundary I will refer future derogation to the Administration.
Throng, you are welcome to refer any posts you think may go too far to the moderators. The simplest and most effective way is to use the "report post" facility, by clicking on the "!" button you can find at the top right of the post.

This board is more lightly moderated than most philosophy forums, for practical reasons and also reasons of principle. Rick Lewis does not impose his own view either of what philosophising should look like or of what is and is not acceptable behaviour. It is within the power of each member to decide for themselves who here is worth engaging and who is best avoided. Accordingly, Rick's team of moderators is kept small; too small even for the task of reading everything, let alone policing everything, that is posted.

It would be a mistake to assume (as I think some do) that just because someone has been here a long time and insults other users with seeming impunity, they enjoy the moderators' affection or approval, or any kind of respect or privilege.

There are many regular posters here that Rick and his team consider to be, at best, poor thinkers and poor communicators on whom little time should be wasted. But we prefer to leave it to each individual to decide who those members are, and how best to treat them. It's part of a philosopher's skill-set, worth developing and demonstrating with pride.

Regards
iMod

Londoner

Post by Londoner » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:58 pm

HexHammer wrote:
Londoner wrote:Did you understand the question?
Aah, you have some intellect after all. Good!

I indirectly did. It's strategically thinking, holistically, abstract, critical. Having killer instinct, daring, etc.

You are glaringly ignorant and wants to be spoon fed every little single thing, you should start reading up on scientific things from the source, instead of getting everything served in a half baked way, here on the forum, why I will put you on ignore since you are just a leach.
I asked what you meant by your references to 'logic'. I think you will find that those qualities are not what are normally described by the word 'logic'.

But then, women tend to have better language skills than men.