Womyn and Philosophy

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Londoner
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:47 am

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by Londoner » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:06 pm

HexHammer wrote:Then name me an area where women exceeds men, right now you are only grasping for straws.
Educational achievement. In the UK and USA women now do better than men.

The point being not that this proves women are superior, but that there is no fixed relationship between sex and achievement. Once, boys did better, now they don't, so it shows that sex was not the determining factor.

User avatar
Throng
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by Throng » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:31 pm

HexHammer wrote:
Throng wrote:On the contrary, it provides a basic commentary on the research findings, and rather than prove anything specifically, it's interesting and informative. I didn't see that it does account the things you mentioned, but I could perhaps mention 100 other things that the article did not address (as it only addressed a few things). Since I haven't read on it, and have little to no knowledge about brains, apart from them being zombie food, I simply do not know. I have no idea what "all sports like physical based as mental based are divided?" even means. I have no idea of the statistics of men and women who play chess, and looking at images here of e-sports I do not see a single female competitor (though that might due to their intelligence). Mostly, I don't insinuate that women are of inferior intelligence because that says more about mine than theirs.
What we are talking about here is wishful thinking from your part.
That's clearly an assumption.

User avatar
Throng
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by Throng » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:45 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Throng wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
It's an idiom, not taken literally.
Is English not your first language?

Let me give you an example.

All Tories members voted for the silly motion.
Paraphrase: Conservative MPS voted yes.

In other words Tories are silly.
I'm glad to see that you know what a paraphrase is. You might pay more attention to your punctuation and paragraphs, especially when critiquing another person's English.
I was not criticising your English.
But I was puzzled why you do not know the phrase "in other words".
You were saying that my understanding of 'paraphrase' was wrong, and then proceeded to lecture me on it even though it was obvious that I knew 'paraphrase' means expressing one statement 'in other words'. There is also no indication whatsoever that English is not my first language (all indicators are to the contrary), and asking, "Is English not your first language?" strongly implies criticism of my grasp of the language. The irony is, although I can fairly assume English is your first language based on your asking of that question, your usage of it is inferior to my own.

HexHammer
Posts: 2834
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by HexHammer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:59 pm

Londoner wrote:
HexHammer wrote:Then name me an area where women exceeds men, right now you are only grasping for straws.
Educational achievement. In the UK and USA women now do better than men.

The point being not that this proves women are superior, but that there is no fixed relationship between sex and achievement. Once, boys did better, now they don't, so it shows that sex was not the determining factor.
Thing is, women has better memory than men, why you now see that women does better in education system, but it doesn't say that women are superior once they have their education. 1 thing is to be able to parrot, another is thinking abstract.

Londoner
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:47 am

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by Londoner » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:31 pm

HexHammer wrote:Thing is, women has better memory than men, why you now see that women does better in education system, but it doesn't say that women are superior once they have their education. 1 thing is to be able to parrot, another is thinking abstract.
OK, this is progress. We have moved on from the claim that women never exceed men to admitting they do in some areas.

As to women being superior once they have had their education, it isn't necessary to prove they are generally superior. If the contention is that women are condemned by their sex to inferiority, then that status would remain a constant. But what we have observed is that there are more women in business, in politics, in academia, in the arts and so on. That there can be change is enough in itself to show that sex cannot be the determining factor.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Throng wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Throng wrote:
I'm glad to see that you know what a paraphrase is. You might pay more attention to your punctuation and paragraphs, especially when critiquing another person's English.
I was not criticising your English.
But I was puzzled why you do not know the phrase "in other words".
You were saying that my understanding of 'paraphrase' was wrong,
No I thought you might have not known what it meant. I was saying you took "in other words" to mean "paraphrase" and that this was a literal mistake.

A person for whom English is not their first language might have made that mistake.


[Edited by iMod]

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 2680
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by Greta » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:03 pm

Hexhammer wrote:
Regarding cognitive abilities, the differences within genders are far greater than the differences between them. This is common knowledge amongst psychology professionals.
That still doesn't explain why sports are gender divided. Even when you compare the best esports women to men, there's a huge skill gap. I think cooking has roughly equal men and women ratio, but still it's dominated by men, even here in Denmark where we have very strict gender equality laws, it's still dominated by men, why are there so few female leaders, because men are more likely to do what it takes.

You are in denial, and only see what you wants to see!
Actually, in most western countries girls are outstripping boys in education. All studies suggest that male and female mental abilities are about the same, again, with a much greater difference within the genders than between them. Statistically there are slight differences between the genders in aptitude in different fields and, famously, they have different amounts of opportunities due to differing reproductive loads.

As for "e-sports", it would seem that women are being sensible in not wasting their time on them. I don't think numbers of professional and celebrity chefs will tell you much about comparative abilities either. Your opinions in this area - flying in the face of science and logic - are apparently "grounded" with the most feeble of justifications.

It's not that I'm in denial, but I do see a lot more e-sports in your future unless you start embracing gender science and ditch the gender politics.

User avatar
Throng
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by Throng » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:17 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Throng wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
I was not criticising your English.
But I was puzzled why you do not know the phrase "in other words".
You were saying that my understanding of 'paraphrase' was wrong,
No I thought you might have not known what it meant. I was saying you took "in other words" to mean "paraphrase" and that this was a literal mistake.

A person for whom English is not their first language might have made that mistake.


[Edited by iMod]
My reference to 'in other words' was the indication that I knew what 'paraphrase' meant. It's literally correct. The eloquence of my articulation is completely contrary to any indication that I'm stupid or 'foreign' (note: there are a few English speaking countries, so from your perspective I am foreign, but I live in an English speaking country). Apart from my obvious command of English and intelligent articulation thereof, and the civility with which I use it to address others, yours is in stark contrast.

I need to clarify a personal boundary issue. Denigrating, insulting and/or abusive aspersions aren't acceptable to me, and because I personally can do nothing to influence consideration and respect with regards to other people, in order to maintain this personal boundary I will refer future derogation to the Administration.

HexHammer
Posts: 2834
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by HexHammer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:21 am

Londoner wrote:
HexHammer wrote:Thing is, women has better memory than men, why you now see that women does better in education system, but it doesn't say that women are superior once they have their education. 1 thing is to be able to parrot, another is thinking abstract.
OK, this is progress. We have moved on from the claim that women never exceed men to admitting they do in some areas.

As to women being superior once they have had their education, it isn't necessary to prove they are generally superior. If the contention is that women are condemned by their sex to inferiority, then that status would remain a constant. But what we have observed is that there are more women in business, in politics, in academia, in the arts and so on. That there can be change is enough in itself to show that sex cannot be the determining factor.
Please pull your head out of your ass!
I said women are superior in the educational system, because they have better memory, but that doesn't explain why they never reach up highest, only political correctness can help them on their way to the top, not because of skill.

Only about 3% of women reaches the top, thus are equal or better than men, because other women lack the logical thinking ability.

HexHammer
Posts: 2834
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by HexHammer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:27 am

Greta wrote:
Hexhammer wrote:
Regarding cognitive abilities, the differences within genders are far greater than the differences between them. This is common knowledge amongst psychology professionals.
That still doesn't explain why sports are gender divided. Even when you compare the best esports women to men, there's a huge skill gap. I think cooking has roughly equal men and women ratio, but still it's dominated by men, even here in Denmark where we have very strict gender equality laws, it's still dominated by men, why are there so few female leaders, because men are more likely to do what it takes.

You are in denial, and only see what you wants to see!
Actually, in most western countries girls are outstripping boys in education. All studies suggest that male and female mental abilities are about the same, again, with a much greater difference within the genders than between them. Statistically there are slight differences between the genders in aptitude in different fields and, famously, they have different amounts of opportunities due to differing reproductive loads.

As for "e-sports", it would seem that women are being sensible in not wasting their time on them. I don't think numbers of professional and celebrity chefs will tell you much about comparative abilities either. Your opinions in this area - flying in the face of science and logic - are apparently "grounded" with the most feeble of justifications.

It's not that I'm in denial, but I do see a lot more e-sports in your future unless you start embracing gender science and ditch the gender politics.
Again you force wishful thinking into the equation.
Yes it is true that women excel in the educational system, due to better memory, but their skills in competitive area is far worse. It's actually estimated that 60% women play computer games, but they only play simple games, like simple browser games, not so much the FPS, RTS and MMO ..so yearh, you speak straight out of your ass.

So still you haven't proven that women excel with high intellect, only good memory.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:33 am

Greta wrote:
Hexhammer wrote:
Regarding cognitive abilities, the differences within genders are far greater than the differences between them. This is common knowledge amongst psychology professionals.
That still doesn't explain why sports are gender divided. Even when you compare the best esports women to men, there's a huge skill gap. I think cooking has roughly equal men and women ratio, but still it's dominated by men, even here in Denmark where we have very strict gender equality laws, it's still dominated by men, why are there so few female leaders, because men are more likely to do what it takes.

You are in denial, and only see what you wants to see!
Actually, in most western countries girls are outstripping boys in education. All studies suggest that male and female mental abilities are about the same, again, with a much greater difference within the genders than between them. Statistically there are slight differences between the genders in aptitude in different fields and, famously, they have different amounts of opportunities due to differing reproductive loads.

As for "e-sports", it would seem that women are being sensible in not wasting their time on them. I don't think numbers of professional and celebrity chefs will tell you much about comparative abilities either. Your opinions in this area - flying in the face of science and logic - are apparently "grounded" with the most feeble of justifications.

It's not that I'm in denial, but I do see a lot more e-sports in your future unless you start embracing gender science and ditch the gender politics.
It is true to say two seemingly incompatible things about the generalised ability of boys and girls: boys are more smart and less smart than girls.
The ability graphs show boys stretched out at both ends, wheras girls are more like a bell curve.

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 2680
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by Greta » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:07 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:It is true to say two seemingly incompatible things about the generalised ability of boys and girls: boys are more smart and less smart than girls.
The ability graphs show boys stretched out at both ends, wheras girls are more like a bell curve.
That's interesting and probably matches my observations.

I will concede that men tend to have better taste in music than women - less inclined towards infernal pop pap featuring post-apes endlessly keening or bragging about their frickin' reproduction-based projects :lol:

Londoner
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:47 am

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by Londoner » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:35 am

HexHammer wrote:Please pull your head out of your ass!
If you find yourself starting a post like that, I think you should pause to reflect whether you might be expressing an emotional reaction, rather than an intellectual one.
I said women are superior in the educational system, because they have better memory, but that doesn't explain why they never reach up highest, only political correctness can help them on their way to the top, not because of skill.

Only about 3% of women reaches the top, thus are equal or better than men, because other women lack the logical thinking ability.
You are making two contradictory arguments.

If women can get to the top (because of political correctness) then you cannot take your 3% figure as evidence of their thinking ability. Do you see? Either 'getting to the top' (or failing to) is evidence of social engineering, or it is evidence of intellect. If we don't know which, or it is a mixture of the two, then the 3% figure does not tell us anything.

It is all a matter of logical thinking!

HexHammer
Posts: 2834
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by HexHammer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:06 pm

Londoner wrote:
HexHammer wrote:Please pull your head out of your ass!
If you find yourself starting a post like that, I think you should pause to reflect whether you might be expressing an emotional reaction, rather than an intellectual one.
I said women are superior in the educational system, because they have better memory, but that doesn't explain why they never reach up highest, only political correctness can help them on their way to the top, not because of skill.

Only about 3% of women reaches the top, thus are equal or better than men, because other women lack the logical thinking ability.
You are making two contradictory arguments.

If women can get to the top (because of political correctness) then you cannot take your 3% figure as evidence of their thinking ability. Do you see? Either 'getting to the top' (or failing to) is evidence of social engineering, or it is evidence of intellect. If we don't know which, or it is a mixture of the two, then the 3% figure does not tell us anything.

It is all a matter of logical thinking!
"It is all a matter of logical thinking!" Exactly, and you lack that, you don't know what you are saying.

Londoner
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:47 am

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by Londoner » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:52 pm

HexHammer wrote:"It is all a matter of logical thinking!" Exactly, and you lack that, you don't know what you are saying.
Yet you never point out any mistakes in my reasoning.

All this emotion, expressed in insults. This tendency to reduce arguments to the personal.

Ironical.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests