Was Foucault a philosopher?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

raw_thought

Was Foucault a philosopher?

Post by raw_thought »

This post is not about if Foucault was right or not. It is the question," was Foucault a philosopher? ". I think he was a sociologist. I have nothing against sociology. It is an insightfull thing. Similarly, is gender philosophy, sociology or philosophy?
Melchior

Re: Was Foucault a philosopher?

Post by Melchior »

raw_thought wrote:This post is not about if Foucault was right or not. It is the question," was Foucault a philosopher? ". I think he was a sociologist. I have nothing against sociology. It is an insightfull thing. Similarly, is gender philosophy, sociology or philosophy?
1) Who is Foucault?

2) What? 'Gender' is a linguistics term.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

Gender is a linguistic term? In the context that you use it all words are linguistic.
Google"Foucault". He is quite famous!
For me philosophy is not about what social factors cause us to think the way we do. That is sociology. And I have nothing against sociology. Similarly, I have nothing against organic chemistry. All I am saying is that that it is not philosophy.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

raw_thought wrote:Gender is a linguistic term? In the context that you use it all words are linguistic.
Google"Foucault". He is quite famous!
For me philosophy is not about what social factors cause us to think the way we do. That is sociology. And I have nothing against sociology. Similarly, I have nothing against organic chemistry. All I am saying is that that it is not philosophy.
I said 'linguistics' term. Please try to keep up.

You have no idea what you are talking about. That makes two of us.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

My point is that in the context of what you said all words are linguistic terms. In other words adding "linguistic term" is superfluous.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

raw_thought wrote:My point is that in the context of what you said all words are linguistic terms. In other words adding "linguistic term" is superfluous.
You're a moron. I said 'linguistics', NOT 'linguistic'. Do you see the 's'?

'Number', 'tense', 'mood', 'gender', are ALL linguistics terms.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

When one has no argument one resorts to name calling.
Examples of linguistic terms are, "verb", "noun", " adjective "... Gender is not a linguistic term. Your redefinition refers to all words. All words "dog", "walk".... can be catalogued under "noun", "verb" etc.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

Linguistics terms also refer to "noun" "verb" also.
Are you purposely being deceptive or are you simply uninformed?
You are probably thinking of "abstractions" or "universals". "Dog" is even a universal.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

raw_thought wrote:Linguistics terms also refer to "noun" "verb" also.
Are you purposely being deceptive or are you simply uninformed?
You are probably thinking of "abstractions" or "universals". "Dog" is even a universal.

No, I mean terms used in linguistics. Terms such as 'number' (singular, plural, etc.); 'gender' (masculine, feminine, or neuter); 'mood' (subjunctive, imperative, indicative, inquisitive); 'tense' (present, past, etc.). Get it now?
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

Nope. Linguistic terms are verb, noun, metalanguage etc. They are words about words. "gender" is not a word about words. If you say it is then "dog", "cat"... are all linguistic terms. And that is silly. In other words it is silly to say that "dog" is a word about the word "spot" (the name of a particular dog) and so therefore (according to your reasoning) "dog" is a linguistic term.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

Anyway, if something is a linguistic term or not has nothing to do with this thread. Was Foucault a philosopher or a sociologist? Is gender philosophy, sociology (I have nothing against sociology ) or philosophy?
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

raw_thought wrote:Anyway, if something is a linguistic term or not has nothing to do with this thread. Was Foucault a philosopher or a sociologist? Is gender philosophy, sociology (I have nothing against sociology ) or philosophy?
Since you insist on using the word 'gender' incorrectly, your question is meaningless and cannot be answered.

Also, who Foucault?
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

Google Foucault. Dont depend on me for your education.
How did I use " gender" wrongly? You are still claiming that it is a linguistics term?????
Linguistics terms are words about words. How is "gender" a word about words? Is "dog" (according to you) a linguistics term because it is a word that describes my dog, Varnog?
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

raw_thought wrote:Google Foucault. Dont depend on me for your education.
How did I use " gender" wrongly? You are still claiming that it is a linguistics term?????
Linguistics terms are words about words. How is "gender" a word about words? Is "dog" (according to you) a linguistics term because it is a word that describes my dog, Varnog?

Fouc-who?

A 'linguistics term' is a word that refers to aspects of language, not to things (parts of speech, syntax, number, tense, mood, etc.).

'Der Mann' (the man) is masculine
'Die Kleide' (the dress) is feminine.
'Das Haus' (the house) is neuter.
'Das Mädchen' (the girl) is neuter.

These words have different genders. There is considerable confusion between gender and sex. Gender refers to linguistic phenomena, not biological.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

Then ALL words are linguistic terms. Every word in a sense refers to other words.