pro-lifers are assholes

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SpheresOfBalance

Re: pro-lifers are assholes

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Perspective wrote:Kayla,
Only 1% of abortions are due to rape.
Medical complications account for about 6% of abortions. These are conditions that would justify abortion.
93% of abortion murders are do to the woman CHOOSING to act irresonsibly sexually and then making her own child pay for the consequences - often by torcherous death.
Sexual irresponsibility does not justify murder, and I have to wonder at anybody encouraging such.

I am suprised to see so many logical fallacies you are presenting, probably not even realizing it.
Did you know about the above statistics? If so, why didn't you focus your "ass hole" remarks on those who supposedly oppose the 1%?
What you are doing by posting on this forum is misleading people who read this - who may act on such ignorance to the detriment of a child and themselves.

John is correct in your major stereotyping. And only from such an illogical perspective could you cast people into group thought, as if all people who voice a perspective in one way, must think in terms of how you interpret political (liberal or conservative) groups think. Has it EVER occurred to you that some people, especially those on a philosophy forum, choose to THINK for themselves and may support and reject some ideas of BOTH conservative groups and some ideas of liberal groups? Or is that too much outside of a custom wrapped belief package, to imagine?
Doesn't matter, as it's still the woman's body. One may think you're too selfish, like that of a dictator, that as such you'd be a terrible father, and say you should have a vasectomy, to ensure you have no children. Well, does anyone have the right to make you get one? Whose body is it, yours or theirs?

And mtmynd1 is correct that you, that are quick to mind others business, shall not bear the burden in bearing and rearing the child, how convenient. Dictator it is then. I guess you believe that everyone should 'own' a few women.

Personally, I'm a Pro-Life/Pro Choicer, in that order, while the first is what I'd like to see, and the second is what is right.
John K

Post by John K »

Kayla wrote: i also know that 72.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot
Hehehe...priceless!
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

John K wrote:
Kayla wrote: i also know that 72.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot
Hehehe...priceless!
Indeed. It is absurd that the rest of the world needs reminding that the country that gave us rock 'n' roll, the moon landings and the Simpsons isn't coast to coast stupidity.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Skip wrote:On abortion: it's a last resort.
If you want there to fewer abortions:
1. Make preventive measures universally available, effective and cheap
2. Teach children about reproduction and birth control before puberty.
3. Teach boys and girls to respect themselves and each other.
4. Take the mystification and hyperbole out of sex.
5. Enforce laws that protect weaker members of society from abuse by the stronger.
6. Extend good prenatal health care to all women who may need it.
7. Take better care of all the babies and children in your society.
8. Take much better care of your society.
unfortunately most of the pro life movement in the usa does not want any of that

they actively oppose sex education - and some even oppose birth control
Skip

Post by Skip »

I know. See my previous post.
The least amusing funny thing is: the most secular countries, like Norway and Holland, that have the laxest legal hold on personal morality, are also the kindest to live in.
John Romeo

Post by John Romeo »

The problem with this categorization is that it lacks the appreciation that reality is much more complex than 'x are bad' 'y are good'...I dare say that your ad hominem does little to advance knowledge and only serves to perpetuate the idea that name-calling is a legitimate form of argumentation.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Maybe so, but the persons being called names here are the ones who cause very real and long-term harm to very real - and far less advantaged - other people.
The advancement of knowledge is not at issue: social justice is.
And maybe the venting of a very real frustration.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

John Romeo wrote:The problem with this categorization is that it lacks the appreciation that reality is much more complex than 'x are bad' 'y are good'...I dare say that your ad hominem does little to advance knowledge and only serves to perpetuate the idea that name-calling is a legitimate form of argumentation.
maybe i can rephrase

the actual conduct of people who identify themselves as pro life is not consistent with their stated goal of reducing abortions, to a point where they seem to be acting in bad faith

in particular, they promote an atmosphere where a young pregnant girl has very strong incentive to have an abortion - because the alternative is social ostracism

is this better?

although some might argue that why i stated is just a long winded overly erudite sounding way to saying that they are assholes
Skip

Post by Skip »

I'll go with assholes.