What does a good relationship need?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Celebritydiscodave2

Re: What does a good relationship need?

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

The two most vital ingredients for any worthwhile relationship are empathy and chemistry, and by chemistry I am with reference to this area of feeling comfortable with each other`s nature..
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:23 pm The two most vital ingredients for any worthwhile relationship are empathy and chemistry, and by chemistry I am with reference to this area of feeling comfortable with each other`s nature..
Can you offer examples to explain this further?

PhilX 🇺🇸
duszek

Post by duszek »

Empathy means that you are a mind-reader and body language reader so that you don´t get on the other person´s nerves unintentionally.

Chemistry means that you enjoy the mere presence of your mate and derive energy from it.
Plato's Rock

Post by Plato's Rock »

I'd say self-understanding, mainly because if one doesn't have a feel for their personal values, or belief systems. They are going to butt heads often with anyone, regardless of desire/intents.

Class, Physical, Social, Intellectual, Financial, Religious...etc..that all are predicated upon knowing one's own stances on them. Can't get what you want/need, if you can't understand what those wants/needs are, and where they come from.
dorothea

Post by dorothea »

If we're talking about good relationships in the love/sex sense then maybe we should note that the great philosopher of love, Shakespeare couldn't make his mind up. 'Who ever loved that loved not at first sight' - suggests that trying to list qualities of character is not going to be successful. 'Love looks not with the eyes but with mind, and therefore is winged cupid painted blind.' On the other hand the opposite might be true. That said, how about mutual compassion as a character trait, from which many other virtues flow?
duszek

Post by duszek »

I happen to read a book (a kind of a novel) about how a spouse becomes criminal.
It´s by Norman Collins, "The husband´s story" or "A husband´s story".

It´s him and his wife and a small daughter. She is short of cash but would like to rise socially. He needs a promotion but is a quiet guy who like photography. A certain bad boy (her former flame) seems to be a friend of the family.

The husband will finally be condemned to 18 years, but for what crime the reader does not know at first. He is invited to watch what makes a relationship bad. Little gestures of impatience, reproaches, not enjoying the gifts of the husband, having a headache when he is in love.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:56 am I won't bother to define what is meant by good except it should help to promote a relationship.

So what are the keys to a good relationship? Here"s my short list:

Financial stability
Respect
Communication
Sense of humor

Then there's your list.

PhilX

agreed. plus mutual physical attraction for that particular relationship.
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

I know the perfect answer for this:
A good relationship needs for us to be good. But both or all need to be good.