Success and Weakness of Will

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

JackSalad

Success and Weakness of Will

Post by JackSalad »

I'm just posting this to get some feedback on it. It's something I've been thinking about recently. It's this:

Are successful people just people who force themselves to be successful while unsuccessful people are people who don't force themselves? If so, I find it unlikely that every successful person forces themselves to do what they do, there must be some people who are successful who don't force themselves, right? There are certainly a few people who drink beer and watch trash TV all day, they probably aren't forcing themselves to do that, but is it not possible that they could force themselves to do more worthwhile things? (Not saying to force anyone to do worthwhile things, just using it as an example). Also, maybe it's just me, but forcing yourself seems like the best option for changing one's behavior. There's changing yourself so that you act differently but don't have to force it but there's little way to do that it seems, there's becoming inspired but inspiration doesn't last that long, it seems like forcing oneself is the only viable option.

So I guess the question for you is, do you think that successful people are people who just force themselves while unsuccessful people are people who do not? Or do you think that successful people don't necessarily force themselves as well as unsuccessful people, but left to their own devices they deviate?
Both? Neither? Tell me why. Thanks.
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Success and Weakness of Will

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

JackSalad wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:15 pm I'm just posting this to get some feedback on it. It's something I've been thinking about recently. It's this:

Are successful people just people who force themselves to be successful while unsuccessful people are people who don't force themselves? If so, I find it unlikely that every successful person forces themselves to do what they do, there must be some people who are successful who don't force themselves, right? There are certainly a few people who drink beer and watch trash TV all day, they probably aren't forcing themselves to do that, but is it not possible that they could force themselves to do more worthwhile things? (Not saying to force anyone to do worthwhile things, just using it as an example). Also, maybe it's just me, but forcing yourself seems like the best option for changing one's behavior. There's changing yourself so that you act differently but don't have to force it but there's little way to do that it seems, there's becoming inspired but inspiration doesn't last that long, it seems like forcing oneself is the only viable option.

So I guess the question for you is, do you think that successful people are people who just force themselves while unsuccessful people are people who do not? Or do you think that successful people don't necessarily force themselves as well as unsuccessful people, but left to their own devices they deviate?
Different people have differing ideas as to what success is. In sales, for me, besides meeting or exceeding the quota or outselling groups of people, it's possible to clean out the warehouse. Working hard doesn't lead to success, working smart does. But if you clean out the warehouse, then you've sold yourself out of a job and have to wait for the warehouse to be replenished. And do you have success when you have a high return rate?

Something to think about.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Greta

Re: Success and Weakness of Will

Post by Greta »

JackSalad wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:15 pm I'm just posting this to get some feedback on it. It's something I've been thinking about recently. It's this:

Yes. Drive and self discipline, and often a passion for vocation can act as a driver - that, fear of poverty and satisfying some people's "black hole" egos (nothing is every enough).

Discipline requires energy; overriding our impulses takes energy. So when we are tired, discipline can drop off. To this end, physical fitness helps. However, some are prepared to fight through their exhaustion. That's emotion. They are motivated. Determined. Often they don't last long. The body and mind need rest to repair and organise themselves.

For those without much internal drive, strong social networking can increase motivation because, bluntly, people tend to be interfering pains in the arse who love nothing better than sticking their noses into others' business, criticising how they do things and pressuring others into doing their bidding. People will often "throw themselves into the deep end" to kick start motivation.