Hypocrisy

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

Hypocrisy

Post by Nick_A »

Is hypocrisy the existential human condition?

From the Cambridge Dictionary:
Hypocrisy

pretending to be what you are not, or pretending to believe something that you do not:
Critics are accusing him of hypocrisy and deceit.
Is hypocrisy the existential human condition? If it is, are ethics based on humanism possible or are they destined to become their opposite?
Science Fan

Re: Hypocrisy

Post by Science Fan »

If hypocrisy was the existential human condition, then why would it only affect humanism as opposed to all religions? Aren't you being hypocritical here?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Science Fan wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:41 pm If hypocrisy was the existential human condition, then why would it only affect humanism as opposed to all religions? Aren't you being hypocritical here?
Secularized religions or what we see in society are as subject to hypocrisy as politics. The fact that the teachings of Jesus somehow transforms into the Spanish Inquisition is a perfect example of the human condition.

St. Paul admits his Hypocrisy. in Romans 7:
14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
Humanism insists that will is sufficient to counter the effects of hypocrisy in ourselves. Is it with you?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Why do you think hypocrisy is the existential human condition
Why single it out over all other human characteristics or traits
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:53 pm Why do you think hypocrisy is the existential human condition
Why single it out over all other human characteristics or traits
Failure to admit the human condition that defines our being is the cause of acceptance of hypocrisy as normal and limits what we do. We do not exit as one - as inner unity. We can be walking down the street sensing one thing, feeling another, while thinking of something unrelated. If "I am" doesn't exist for us but must be followed by a this or that, we cannot be masters of ourselves. We can say one thing and do another which is living by hypocrisy. Most of what we are is created through hypocrisy making it a source. "I Am" may be our potential but as we are, "We are Many." The human condition has nothing to do with right or wrong, good or bad. It is what it is and some believe it advantageous to be aware of what it deprives us of in pursuit of both inner and outer freedom.
"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes." Walt Whitman
Walker

Post by Walker »

The next level of post-modern dialoguing is where ethics and integrity are a post-modern point of irony.
- The method is to go right in and change the intellectual content of other people’s writings, skipping the ostensible.

Once fidelity to ethics is revealed as an arbitrary attachment of ego, then by association truth and art can more easily be shifted to a relative universe in which all weather events hot and cold are evidence of the narrative de jour.

What is this principle that the next level is manifesting, when existing as movement of mind called thought?

U.G. Krishnamurti expressed it, thus:
“You are free to reproduce, distribute, interpret, misinterpret, distort, garble, do what you like, even claim authorship, without my consent or the permission of anybody.”
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Walker wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:13 pm The next level of post-modern dialoguing is where ethics and integrity are a post-modern point of irony.
- The method is to go right in and change the intellectual content of other people’s writings, skipping the ostensible.

Once fidelity to ethics is revealed as an arbitrary attachment of ego, then by association truth and art can more easily be shifted to a relative universe in which all weather events hot and cold are evidence of the narrative de jour.

What is this principle that the next level is manifesting, when existing as movement of mind called thought?

U.G. Krishnamurti expressed it, thus:
“You are free to reproduce, distribute, interpret, misinterpret, distort, garble, do what you like, even claim authorship, without my consent or the permission of anybody.”
Saying one thing and doing another is necessary for the progressive philosophy because it has to put up with people like you. Your objections only get in the way of progress. The ends justify the means which have been defined as necessary and good for you so hypocrisy is essential to actualize what is good.
"I wish nothing but good; therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor and a scoundrel." ~ King George III
If you are unable to understand and just get in the way of progress you'll have to expect hypocrisy from your progressive superiors. It is for your own good. Stop being a problem. Why argue with royalty?