Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by uwot »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Liberty? Liberate? Liberation? Mean anything?
All from the root 'liber' a Latin word (and a god of wine, as it happens). Latin is no longer spoken, because languages develop, change and sometimes die. So 'liberal' is a free man then? At least in terms of speech and movement.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:How do you know I'm not talking about the weather? How do you know what the 'context' is?
Because you have made it clear that you believe that words have specific meanings.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

uwot wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Liberty? Liberate? Liberation? Mean anything?
All from the root 'liber' a Latin word (and a god of wine, as it happens). Latin is no longer spoken, because languages develop, change and sometimes die. So 'liberal' is a free man then? At least in terms of speech and movement.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:How do you know I'm not talking about the weather? How do you know what the 'context' is?
Because you have made it clear that you believe that words have specific meanings.
'Liber means book in Latin. New words come into existence and can add to the language. 'Latin is no longer spoken'. So? What does that have to do with it?
One thing is certain--that hardly anyone knows Latin if googling it is anything to go by. So much nonsense. Apparently the Latin word 'liberalis' means 'hberalis' in English :roll: I'll see what it says in my Latin dictionary tomorrow.
Latin is very useful for anyone with an interest in knowing and understanding English. I did Latin through secondary school and it has probably been the most useful subject to me by far, and the one that has stayed with me more than any other.
But of course all of this is meaningless. Can you tell that I'm actually talking about the housing market in today's financial climate?
vegetariantaxidermy

ForCruxSake wrote: Your first post 'whatever' was better before you edited it and wrote the above. Just sayin'
Not put me in your 'foes' yet? :?
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: Your first post 'whatever' was better before you edited it and wrote the above. Just sayin'
No. I argued for a foes button that would exclude you from threads I create, which you always seem to kill... But it appears I'm stuck with you until they shut this thread down, too... I guess.

But what has this to do with the thread? You're off topic! AGAIN!
Last edited by ForCruxSake on Wed May 03, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: 'Liber means book in Latin.
I think you'll find it means several things, and uwot pinned down two... to your one...

http://www.vocabulary-lesson-plans.com/ ... liber.html

So do you actually want to get this thread back on track,or do you want to keep taking it through the maze of your convoluted thinking, where you contradict yourself and fail to actually answer what is bring asked of you by shifting the ground under the argument?

It's a rhetorical question....

What do I mean by rhetorical, I hear you ask... Or am I talking about the weather? :lol:
vegetariantaxidermy

ForCruxSake wrote:
No. I argued for a foes button that would exclude you from threads I create, which you can kill... But what has this to do with the thread. You're off topic! AGAIN!
It's not off topic to me. If someone is misusing a word I will call them out on it, especially when they refuse to define it. I've never killed a thread yet. Your thread wasn't murdered, it committed suicide. And if you use your foes facility you won't even know I'm here :wink:
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

ForCruxSake wrote:
No. I argued for a foes button that would exclude you from threads I create, which you can kill... But what has this to do with the thread. You're off topic! AGAIN!
It's not off topic to me. If someone is misusing a word I will call them out on it, especially when they refuse to define it. I've never killed a thread yet. Your thread wasn't murdered, it committed suicide. And if you use your foes facility you won't even know I'm here :wink:
No one misuses words, you batter the conversation until it means what you want it to mean. Everyone has a basic understanding of the words used here... Except you, who questions them when you don't like how others use them to argue with you.

Uwot has clearly pointed out the foolishness in the way you argue. I don't need to perform the same dreary dance. You appear to need to do that.

I didn't shut down any thread. Rick Lewis did because it was pointed out that you argue off point, make everything personal, hurl abuse and bully people. I guess he agreed.
Last edited by ForCruxSake on Wed May 03, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uwot

Post by uwot »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: 'Liber means book in Latin.
Really? I only did a very little Latin, a long time ago, but I'm fairly good on mythology. As I said Liber was a god of wine and freedom, so it depends on the context.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:New words come into existence and can add to the language.
And the meaning of words change and some words fall out of use.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:'Latin is no longer spoken'. So? What does that have to do with it?
Chaucer wrote in English. It is unintelligible to most modern English speakers. Language is not a set of rules determined by some 'Académie', even the French don't take that seriously.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:One thing is certain--that hardly anyone knows Latin if googling it is anything to go by. So much nonsense. Apparently the Latin word 'liberalis' means 'hberalis' in English :roll: I'll see what it says in my Latin dictionary tomorrow.
Latin is very useful for anyone with an interest in knowing and understanding English.
So is Greek, but as English is a Germanic language, it's probably best to start with German.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:But of course all of this is meaningless.
Again, you are implying that I have said something which I have not, don't put words into my mouth. What I have said is that words are contextual, that is true even of Latin ones.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Can you tell that I'm actually talking about the housing market in today's financial climate?
Same answer as before: you have made it clear that you assign particular meanings to particular words.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: you use your foes facility you won't even know I'm here :wink:
Unfortunately, you and I both know that isn't true. Besides its kind of nice seeing you being taken on by the 'big boys' and watching you become more nonsensical in the process. :wink:

If anyone were to look at this thread, specifically your posts, you word goes down, at one point, until you got to one word: "whatever", which you hastily edited out, possibly because it made you look like a sixteen year old know nothing.

To me that was magic. Uwot did that... and it was like magic, as you usually spew out like a volcano.

And he did that by asking you questions. Simply, and beautifully, he has illustrated the power of philosophy. That's why I want to stay on the forum.

Now if someone could just write the code for that exclusion button that really does stop the trolls and haters from appearing, this place would be one step closer to Utopia.

But, d'uh, silly me, now I'm off topic....
Last edited by ForCruxSake on Wed May 03, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

ForCruxSake wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: you use your foes facility you won't even know I'm here :wink:
Unfortunately, you and I both know that isn't true. Besides its kind of nice seeing your arse kicked by the 'big boys' :wink:

If anyone were to look at this thread, specifically your posts, you word goes down, at one point, until you got to one word: "whatever", which you hastily edited out, possibly because it made you look like a sixteen year old know nothing.

To me that was magic. Uwot did that... and it was like magic, as you usually spew out like a volcano.

And he did that by asking you questions. Simply, and beautifully, he has illustrated the power of philosophy. That's why I want to stay on the forum.

Now if someone could just write the code for that exclusion button that really does stop the trolls and haters from appearing, this place would be one step closer to Utopia.

But, d'uh, silly me, now I'm off topic....
That's quite funny, because you hastily removed your little comment but I'd already seen it and responded to it :) Don't read too much into a 'whatever'. It usually means I've got tired of going around in circles with someone who is never going to understand what I'm getting at anyway. I would love to know who these 'big boys' are that you keep referring to.
Threads change all the time. More often than not a thread will quickly evolve into something that is completely different from the OP. Most people realise this and don't make a huge song and dance about it. It's just a natural occurrence. I've found that the posters on here are not petty, officious or vindictive--which is what makes this site appealing. It's clear that you are running a campaign to have me banned. I'm sure there are all kinds of frenzied pms flying around behind the scenes. I would be willing to bet that no one has EVER dared to challenge your political agenda or your unshakeable belief in your own righteousness. Doing so has sent you into apoplectic fits. When I think about the sometimes extremely heated 'debates' that I've had with posters I'm fairly certain that none of them has demanded my banning of the mods (I suppose I could be completely wrong about that), and it makes me realise they are on the whole a decent bunch who value free speech and a vigorous debate. I don't tend to think of threads as being 'owned' by the person who started them. Perhaps that's wrong of me. You seem to be very possessive or yours. I'm also looking forward to your next hopelessly transparent essay on 'my' character shortcomings (a rather cowardly form of bullying). And for someone who allegedly doesn't have any interest in 'winning' on here and vilifies others for supposedly wanting to 'win', I find your gleeful reference to my having had my 'arse kicked' quite telling :wink:
And about the locked thread. One of your first posts on here was a very long and self-righteous lecture to me about my need to change my evil ways.
I don't think I'd even interacted with you at that time, so hence my less than warm demeanour on said deceased thread.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Wed May 03, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uwot

Post by uwot »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Latin is earlier than both English and German.
True. What do you think follows from that?
vegetariantaxidermy

uwot wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Latin is earlier than both English and German.
True. What do you think follows from that?
They both have a significant portion of words of Latin origin. Isn't it helpful to go back to the origin? Helpful and beautiful? It's not only helpful with English. I can decipher a fair amount of written Italian too because of having done Latin at school, not to mention scientific and legal terms. Latin has many uses.
Walker

Post by Walker »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Walker wrote:Bigotry is the result of an overactive imagination that controls and enslaves the afflicted bigot.
Nice one. Every now and again, it's lines like this that make me bow to the power of your command over words.
Walker wrote:If cured of the affliction, the bigot becomes master of the imagination, not the slave. The imagination is then free to grow larger than it was, when it was caged as only a defensive shield that warped reality.
Where's the chorus line? I want to jump in and be one your backing singers, on this one! :)
That's very nice. Thank you. The words felt true as they appeared. You know the feeling.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Could it be that people who hate President Trump are just bigots?

… the Roots of Liberal/Progressive Rage
https://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2017/05 ... sive-rage/

“Something about Trump's character and appearance -- what he says and does or, more accurately, what they think he says and does, because they are completely incapable of seeing it with any clarity -- has set off multiple trip levers in the minds of a huge percentage of Americans, including the media, Hollywood, the academy, etc. This, however, says vastly more about them than it does about Trump.”
- link
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Walker wrote:Could it be that people who hate President Trump are just bigots?

… the Roots of Liberal/Progressive Rage
https://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2017/05 ... sive-rage/

“Something about Trump's character and appearance -- what he says and does or, more accurately, what they think he says and does, because they are completely incapable of seeing it with any clarity -- has set off multiple trip levers in the minds of a huge percentage of Americans, including the media, Hollywood, the academy, etc. This, however, says vastly more about them than it does about Trump.”
- link
My guess is that they are just concerned citizens.... of the world! Reacting to what he says... Bigly! :D