Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

ForCruxSake
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by ForCruxSake » Wed May 03, 2017 5:37 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Not put me in your 'foes' yet? :?
No. I argued for a foes button that would exclude you from threads I create, which you can kill... But what has this to do with the thread. You're off topic! AGAIN!
It's not off topic to me. If someone is misusing a word I will call them out on it, especially when they refuse to define it. I've never killed a thread yet. Your thread wasn't murdered, it committed suicide. And if you use your foes facility you won't even know I'm here :wink:
So your comment: "not put me in your 'foes' yet?", quite clearly shown above, is not off comment? How on earth does it relate to misusing words???

It's just your petty, peevish way to attempt to belittle me.

You often come off topic to make some kind of derisory comment that you cannot honestly or reasonably justify. Knowing that it contravenes what AMod has said, and thinking that someone might want to get you banned for this kind of behaviour, why do you persist with it??!

uwot
Posts: 3164
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:21 am

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by uwot » Wed May 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Walker wrote:Could it be that people who hate President Trump are just bigots?
All of them? Unlikely.

Walker
Posts: 4066
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by Walker » Wed May 03, 2017 7:11 pm

ForCruxSake wrote:
Walker wrote:Could it be that people who hate President Trump are just bigots?

… the Roots of Liberal/Progressive Rage
https://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2017/05 ... sive-rage/

“Something about Trump's character and appearance -- what he says and does or, more accurately, what they think he says and does, because they are completely incapable of seeing it with any clarity -- has set off multiple trip levers in the minds of a huge percentage of Americans, including the media, Hollywood, the academy, etc. This, however, says vastly more about them than it does about Trump.”
- link
My guess is that they are just concerned citizens.... of the world! Reacting to what he says... Bigly! :D
“This Trump person (being?) doesn't seem to be all that different from many leaders who have come before him. I mean, what has he done exactly? Enforced some immigration laws that were enacted by the Congress over several administrations? Tried to fix a mediocre healthcare plan with another plan that may or may not be as mediocre? Called for a tax reduction similar to those enacted by previous Republican and Democratic administrations? Cut back on some regulations that became overly burdensome? Called for a temporary halt to immigration from a half-dozen countries his predecessor had already cited as dangerous hotbeds of terrorism? Shot off a few dozen cruise missiles at the airfield of a dictator who was gassing his own people, but didn't harm a single person in the process?

“I could go on, but you get the point. Compared to the grand panoply of political theory and governmental actions in world history this is pretty puny stuff. In fact, it's even less than that. It's a piffle. And almost all of this, if it had been called for by his opponent, would have been perfectly acceptable anyway.

“And yet the rage is, if anything, greater and more consistent than it was during Vietnam. How do we explain that?”


Source: https://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2017/05 ... sive-rage/

Walker
Posts: 4066
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by Walker » Wed May 03, 2017 7:15 pm

uwot wrote:
Walker wrote:Could it be that people who hate President Trump are just bigots?
All of them? Unlikely.
Maybe they're just insane.

“One way to look at it is that the left, or what we call the left (liberal and progressives of various stripes), are actually by far the most conservative or rigid people in our culture in terms of personality. The slightest alteration in policy or change in the zeitgeist threatens them all out of proportion to reality and they act out, like these self-described anarchists (assuming they have even heard of Bakunin or Kropotkin) just did the other day in Portland, naming themselves, as did the increasingly pathetic and desperate Hillary Clinton herself just did today, "The Resistance." In what sane universe does calling yourself "The Resistance" to Donald Trump make sense when the original "Résistance" was to counter Hitler and the Nazis taking over France, and prevent them from sending people to concentration camps and doing away with the underground in firing squads? Is that what Trump is doing?”
- Source: ibid

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10570
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by Arising_uk » Wed May 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Or maybe it's just that the brain-dead on all sides have access to social media nowadays and so we actually get to hear their opinions rather than them just spouting their bile in the bar or at home(and let's be fair, this time the actual president is one of them bad spelling an' all). That and that right-wing mainstream media was also pumping it out. After all, look at all the bollocks we heard from the American right about Obama over the years. So maybe the yank right is just reaping what they sowed -

https://mediamatters.org/blog/2017/01/2 ... ump/215059

'Remember the Alamo!'

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6027
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Wed May 03, 2017 9:05 pm

ForCruxSake wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: No. I argued for a foes button that would exclude you from threads I create, which you can kill... But what has this to do with the thread. You're off topic! AGAIN!
It's not off topic to me. If someone is misusing a word I will call them out on it, especially when they refuse to define it. I've never killed a thread yet. Your thread wasn't murdered, it committed suicide. And if you use your foes facility you won't even know I'm here :wink:
So your comment: "not put me in your 'foes' yet?", quite clearly shown above, is not off comment? How on earth does it relate to misusing words???

It's just your petty, peevish way to attempt to belittle me.

You often come off topic to make some kind of derisory comment that you cannot honestly or reasonably justify. Knowing that it contravenes what AMod has said, and thinking that someone might want to get you banned for this kind of behaviour, why do you persist with it??!
Excuse me? As you are well aware, it was a response to your petty and peevish comment that appeared out of nowhere in the middle of a discussion I was having with Uwot (the comment you hastily deleted at the same time as I was responding to it). The one about me editing 'whatever' out of my comment? Ring any bells? I've noticed you do that a lot. Insult someone and then either remove or edit out the insult (presumably before the mods see it).
Did it take all night for you to come up with that btw? Making out that my 'foes' comment came out of nowhere? If I wanted to go to the trouble of pretending you said something to me, for the sole purpose of asking why you haven't blocked me yet, would it be about a word that I had previously edited out of a comment because it was no longer applicable? And how would I know that you hadn't put me in your 'foes', if you hadn't just made a comment to me? (I can't believe I'm even having this conversation).

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6027
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Wed May 03, 2017 10:50 pm

ForCruxSake wrote:
Walker wrote:Could it be that people who hate President Trump are just bigots?

… the Roots of Liberal/Progressive Rage
https://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2017/05 ... sive-rage/

“Something about Trump's character and appearance -- what he says and does or, more accurately, what they think he says and does, because they are completely incapable of seeing it with any clarity -- has set off multiple trip levers in the minds of a huge percentage of Americans, including the media, Hollywood, the academy, etc. This, however, says vastly more about them than it does about Trump.”
- link
My guess is that they are just concerned citizens.... of the world! Reacting to what he says... Bigly! :D
It's just a shame they didn't react 'bigly' to the ME being plundered and destroyed, and continues to be.

ForCruxSake
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by ForCruxSake » Thu May 04, 2017 10:57 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: It's not off topic to me. If someone is misusing a word I will call them out on it, especially when they refuse to define it. I've never killed a thread yet. Your thread wasn't murdered, it committed suicide. And if you use your foes facility you won't even know I'm here :wink:
So your comment: "not put me in your 'foes' yet?", quite clearly shown above, is not off comment? How on earth does it relate to misusing words???

It's just your petty, peevish way to attempt to belittle me.

You often come off topic to make some kind of derisory comment that you cannot honestly or reasonably justify. Knowing that it contravenes what AMod has said, and thinking that someone might want to get you banned for this kind of behaviour, why do you persist with it??!
Excuse me? As you are well aware, it was a response to your petty and peevish comment that appeared out of nowhere in the middle of a discussion I was having with Uwot (the comment you hastily deleted at the same time as I was responding to it). The one about me editing 'whatever' out of my comment? Ring any bells? I've noticed you do that a lot. Insult someone and then either remove or edit out the insult (presumably before the mods see it).
Did it take all night for you to come up with that btw? Making out that my 'foes' comment came out of nowhere? If I wanted to go to the trouble of pretending you said something to me, for the sole purpose of asking why you haven't blocked me yet, would it be about a word that I had previously edited out of a comment because it was no longer applicable? And how would I know that you hadn't put me in your 'foes', if you hadn't just made a comment to me? (I can't believe I'm even having this conversation).
This discussion is open to comment. You want a closed conversation with Uwot, you have the PM function.

Usually when I edit it's to punctuate, or change grammar and spelling. It's very rare that I edit to make better sense, chucking out while sections and suchlike. Sometimes sentences are missing the odd word and, as I've explained to you before in another thread, writing in low light makes it hard to see what I'm doing, which is why I like to slightly larger text sometimes, which is amended in format to be smaller than the next size of selectable font up from normal. I try not to shout in text. I think I've only lost the plot once in an earlier thread and since then try to remain rational and calm. I'm fine talking here with everyone else, even with those with whom I disagree. You make it a hard task.

I have never edited a comment after another user has quoted me. I've pretty much always edited and re-edited over a matter of a few minutes after posting, I never edit to make or remove insults. I've done that once. Again, that was re-edited in a matter of minutes (which hopefully should be evident to those who administrate or moderate the forum) but it was YOU who chose to share it with the world, to somehow make me look bad. I changed it because it did look bad. I did it before you had a chance to post. In fact, you made your post ABOUT the change in an attempt to discredit me, failing to understand I changed it because there was a better way to say it without coming down to your street level. I still made the comment, I just did it more gracefully, I hope.

No-one else may have seen it, but in your continued attempts to pursue this ridiculous vendetta you have against me, you had to point it out. YOU NEED TO STOP.

My drawing attention to your "whatever" comment was to criticise you for the precious critical thinking you so seem to credit yourself with. It was actually a tidier answer than what you replaced it with, which continued to obfuscate the thread.

Your 'foes' comment had nothing to do with the thread. It came out of the fact I chose to make a comment. Unless you have re-edited it to make it look relevant, your line was a one line sarcastic comment, intended to goad me, not relevant to the subject under discussion. And I'm sure whoever was posting alongside us will bear that out (if you have re-edited or removed it after the fact.)You have some kind of raging need to make everything personal, about you or the poster, who you feel the need to target, and you have to keep coming back to that. Sometimes you are just vicious. YOU NEED TO STOP.

You need to stop making every post about you... or me. Stop spitting and fussing, when people don't agree with you, and then make everything personal, or some kind of 'bitchfest'. I have to second guess everything I write to you: weighing up my response to your personal invective against how relevant that response is, to the thread. This one's not. And I suspect I will admonished just for answering your petty, personal accusations, as if I an encouraging you to respond with more invective. I just need to make my position clear to you....

Whatever started this. It's gone, it's over. Stick to the discussion, YOU NEED TO STOP GOING OFF TOPIC AND ON ABOUT YOU AND ME. It adds nothing to the discussion.

There I've said it, and however you respond to this post, which I suspect you will, I hope I will not have to repeat any of this. Or talk about US again.
Last edited by ForCruxSake on Fri May 05, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ForCruxSake
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by ForCruxSake » Thu May 04, 2017 11:05 pm

I was going to edit the last post to add something,,,, but I'll do it here, lest I'm accused of something horrendous....

That last sentence should have been...
"I hope I will not have to repeat any of this. Or talk about US... IN ANY SENSE OTHER THAN PHILOSOPHICAL...again."

(Can't believe I had to re-edit this post! Damn!)

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6027
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Thu May 04, 2017 11:27 pm

Have you seen the film 'Gaslighting'? You should. It's right up your alley. I couldn't give a rat's arse if you want to butt in (and I certainly won't run off to whine to the mods about it). The only reason I mentioned it is because you tried to claim my response to it came from nowhere after you had deleted the comment I was responding to, with a vaguely threatening reference to my being banned for being 'off topic'.
And I don't take orders from you dear. You might be able to bully and order-about others in your 'high-flying' job, but I'm afraid that doesn't cross over to here.

ForCruxSake
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by ForCruxSake » Fri May 05, 2017 1:13 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Have you seen the film 'Gaslighting'? You should. It's right up your alley. I couldn't give a rat's arse if you want to butt in (and I certainly won't run off to whine to the mods about it). The only reason I mentioned it is because you tried to claim my response to it came from nowhere after you had deleted the comment I was responding to, with a vaguely threatening reference to my being banned for being 'off topic'.
And I don't take orders from you dear. You might be able to bully and order-about others in your 'high-flying' job, but I'm afraid that doesn't cross over to here.
Great. You done?

Hopefully this is your last post about us, which has nothing to do with bigotry, misusing or defining words, Latin, German or Italian... or anything else that went into this rather low end piñata of a thread.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6027
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri May 05, 2017 1:19 am

ForCruxSake wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Have you seen the film 'Gaslighting'? You should. It's right up your alley. I couldn't give a rat's arse if you want to butt in (and I certainly won't run off to whine to the mods about it). The only reason I mentioned it is because you tried to claim my response to it came from nowhere after you had deleted the comment I was responding to, with a vaguely threatening reference to my being banned for being 'off topic'.
And I don't take orders from you dear. You might be able to bully and order-about others in your 'high-flying' job, but I'm afraid that doesn't cross over to here.
Great. You done?

Hopefully this is your last post about us, which has nothing to do with bigotry, misusing or defining words, Latin, German or Italian... or anything else that went into this rather low end piñata of a thread.
I have a feeling you are not.

ForCruxSake
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by ForCruxSake » Fri May 05, 2017 1:25 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Have you seen the film 'Gaslighting'? You should. It's right up your alley. I couldn't give a rat's arse if you want to butt in (and I certainly won't run off to whine to the mods about it). The only reason I mentioned it is because you tried to claim my response to it came from nowhere after you had deleted the comment I was responding to, with a vaguely threatening reference to my being banned for being 'off topic'.
And I don't take orders from you dear. You might be able to bully and order-about others in your 'high-flying' job, but I'm afraid that doesn't cross over to here.
Great. You done?

Hopefully this is your last post about us, which has nothing to do with bigotry, misusing or defining words, Latin, German or Italian... or anything else that went into this rather low end piñata of a thread.
I have a feeling you are not.
Just shows how little you know of me.

So are you done now?

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6027
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri May 05, 2017 1:28 am

ForCruxSake wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: Great. You done?

Hopefully this is your last post about us, which has nothing to do with bigotry, misusing or defining words, Latin, German or Italian... or anything else that went into this rather low end piñata of a thread.
I have a feeling you are not.
Just shows how little you know of me.

So are you done now?
See? Oh, and it's hardly anyone else's fault that you don't have enough willpower to not peek at foes' comments. 'Just sayin' :wink:

ForCruxSake
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Is Bigotry Just A Failure of Imagination?

Post by ForCruxSake » Fri May 05, 2017 1:29 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I have a feeling you are not.
Just shows how little you know of me.

So are you done now?
See? Oh, and it's hardly anyone else's fault that you don't have enough willpower to not peek at foes' comments. 'Just sayin' :wink:
Great. So are you done now?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests