Deception, consent, and a PhD thesis

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Daniel McKay

Deception, consent, and a PhD thesis

Post by Daniel McKay »

I am a student in my last year of writing my PhD. For my thesis I am developing and defending a new normative theory called "freedom consequentialism". Part of this involves gathering objections from a range of sources and responding to them in my thesis. So, I am posting a chapter of my thesis here where I discuss lying and deception and how they relate to freedom and consent. Please have a read of it and then, if you disagree, tell me how and why I'm wrong. Useful objections will be discussed in my thesis and you will be referenced as you prefer.

A short introduction to what the theory is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B00h0N ... sp=sharing

Chapter on deception:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B00h0 ... VRpSXZITVU

I look forward to hearing all the ways in which you think I am wrong.
Bill Wiltrack

Re: Deception, consent, and a PhD thesis

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Don't know too much about the college you are supposedly attending or the country in which you are from.

I will tell you that in America, in a legitimate college, a thesis is based upon research and the findings of that specific research.

Don't know what you are fishing for here but unless we had access to your bibliography no one here can give you pertinent advice or an educated opinion. Even then I GUARANTEE that no one here would take the time to research them. So there's that...

Good luck with your, "college education."

Daniel McKay

Post by Daniel McKay »

I disagree that no one could provide useful feedback without having access to my bibliography, although most of the references relevant to that chapter in particular are included in the chapter posted.

One could potentially see an error in my reasoning or think I have ignored a relevant argument or fact or perhaps think I have been unclear in my explanation of something. All of these would be useful.

However, as you have clearly taken the time to give the best feedback you can I shall return the favor. I recommend deciding between using bold text or capital letters for emphasis, as both comes across as somewhat messy. Also, you could consider using neither of the above and trusting that any sarcasm or condescension you wish to convey will be understood from your words alone and if it isn't, perhaps you would be best served by rewriting in order to make your point more clear. Also, "the country in which you are from" is probably not quite what you mean to say. Probably you mean to say "the country which you are from" or alternatively, "the country in which you reside/live/are studying"
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

First - I didn't ask for your opinion...on ANYTHING.

Second - You didn't answer ANY of my questions posed to you.

Thus - my theorem is you are a phony.

Stop this stupid horse shit & get a job.

Don't think you are school material...MHO

Daniel McKay

Post by Daniel McKay »

First: I know you didn't ask for my opinion. I gave it anyway.

Second: You didn't ask any questions in that post, you only made statements.

In fact, the truth of your first point seems to rather negate your second point.

Even if I were a phony, which I'm not, why would it matter to the discussion of interesting philosophy?

Also, I think horseshit is one word when it's an adjective, or it should be at least hyphenated.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Phony. I'm out.

Daniel McKay

Post by Daniel McKay »

What a shame.