here's a code i can endorse

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

here's a code i can endorse

Post by henry quirk »

An ethical code was created by Tourist Union #63 during its 1889 National Hobo Convention in St. Louis Missouri. This code was voted upon as a concrete set of laws to govern the Nation-wide Hobo Body; it reads this way:

1. Decide your own life, don't let another person run or rule you.

2. When in town, always respect the local law and officials, and try to be a
gentleman at all times.

3. Don't take advantage of someone who is in a vulnerable situation, locals or other hobos.

4. Always try to find work, even if temporary, and always seek out jobs nobody wants. By doing so you not only help a business along, but ensure employment should you return to that town again.

5. When no employment is available, make your own work by using your added talents at crafts.

6. Do not allow yourself to become a stupid drunk and set a bad example for locals' treatment of other hobos.

7. When jungling in town, respect handouts, do not wear them out, another hobo will be coming along who will need them as bad, if not worse than you.

8. Always respect nature, do not leave garbage where you are jungling.

9. If in a community jungle, always pitch in and help.

10.Try to stay clean, and boil up wherever possible.

11.When traveling, ride your train respectfully, take no personal chances, cause no problems with the operating crew or host railroad, act like an extra crew member.

12.Do not cause problems in a train yard, another hobo will be coming along who will need passage through that yard.

13.Do not allow other hobos to molest children, expose all molesters to authorities, they are the worst garbage to infest any society.

14.Help all runaway children, and try to induce them to return home.

15.Help your fellow hobos whenever and wherever needed, you may need their help someday.

16.If present at a hobo court and you have testimony, give it. Whether for or against the accused, your voice counts!

(above found at the wiki piece on hobos)
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: here's a code i can endorse

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Delightful. Apparently they have (or had) their own symbol language too. Love the 'kindhearted lady' one of a cat. :)
hobo code.png
hobo code.png (87.77 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

I like the spirit of a lot of that, but I still don't agree with all of it. It mabe has a similar batting average for me to the LaVeyan Satanic Statements/Rules/Sins--I also agree with a lot of that, and I like the spirit of a lot of it, but I do not agree with all of it. You can see the content of that on the Wikipedia page for LaVeyan Satanism if you're interested.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Veg,

Yesterday's hobo has been romanticizeded a bit, I'm afraid, but the culture (an attempt at ethics, the sign language, the nickels, etc.) is sumthin' worth lookin' at.

#

Terra,

Which parts do you disagree with?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

''13.Do not allow other hobos to molest children, expose all molesters to authorities, they are the worst garbage to infest any society.''

This is wonderful. They don't beat around the bush. Love the 'community jungle' and 'jungling' parts too.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

1. Decide your own life, don't let another person run or rule you.
You have just endorsed the narcissistic, sociopaths, psychos ..the skitzos ..etc .etc, they will selectively read your rules even ignore later rules that says to do good, and it seems self contradicting!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Hex,

Disturbed people are gonna do what they's gonna do, no matter what. #1 is not for the disturbed but for the sane who get boondoggled by technocrats and experts and planners and managers.

Nonscensical to say an ethic isn't viable cuz loons will ignore it or misintepret it. That mad route leads you to 'do as thou will' which is just license...no self-responsibility, no self-direction, no self-deliberation...just the anarchy of children.

#

Veg,

Yeah, there's a plain-spokeness in the code I appreciate.