Hard-wired

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: Hard-wired

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Walker wrote:You get what you pay for, and you know the rest of that tune.
Justice ?
Are you distracted from the situation?

Actually, what it means is that meditation is a non-intellectual method for enhancing knowledge of thought plasticity.
You know what, I'm giggling so much right now. Have just read the at-home winemaking thread.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Well I must confess the Dave Matthews tune did come to mind. You pay for the beauty that you get.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Skip wrote:I can't be held responsible for.....

.... because it's in my nature.
It can be used to justify one's actions to one's self, but if actions harm others or cause them inconvenience, they might cause you to face the consequences. Society will hold a psychopath responsible for his actions even if it is hard wired in him. I suppose that is what natural selection is now. As a society we will now decide what kind of genetic hardwiring is acceptable and what is not and weed the undesirable hardwiring out.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

society can not be held responsible for "justice" or war...

-Imp
Skip

Post by Skip »

sthitapragya wrote: I suppose that is what natural selection is now. As a society we will now decide what kind of genetic hardwiring is acceptable and what is not and weed the undesirable hardwiring out.
As a society, we don't decide anything or initiate any specific action. Social selection has been going on for 10,000 years or so - but each society was selecting for the traits it found useful at any given time. In turbulent eras, they wanted warriors: extolled the virtues of courage and skill at arms; rewarded the biggest, most aggressive boys - and encouraged them to breed early, for they would likely die young. In placid time, intelligence and ingenuity were valued; the clever ones rewarded - they tend to mature late, breed sparsely but last a long time. There was no singe-direction trend throughout civilization, so no traits were weeded out. We still have the full complement of caveman DNA. If civilization breaks down next week, humans will revert to savagery by the week after. (See countries that have been "bombed back to the stone age").
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Skip wrote:
sthitapragya wrote: I suppose that is what natural selection is now. As a society we will now decide what kind of genetic hardwiring is acceptable and what is not and weed the undesirable hardwiring out.
As a society, we don't decide anything or initiate any specific action. Social selection has been going on for 10,000 years or so - but each society was selecting for the traits it found useful at any given time. In turbulent eras, they wanted warriors: extolled the virtues of courage and skill at arms; rewarded the biggest, most aggressive boys - and encouraged them to breed early, for they would likely die young. In placid time, intelligence and ingenuity were valued; the clever ones rewarded - they tend to mature late, breed sparsely but last a long time. There was no singe-direction trend throughout civilization, so no traits were weeded out. We still have the full complement of caveman DNA. If civilization breaks down next week, humans will revert to savagery by the week after. (See countries that have been "bombed back to the stone age").
I completely agree with you. I was actually replying to your initial post which was pretty short and open to any kind of interpretation. We might not be responsible for our actions but we might have to face the consequences of our actions.
Skip

Post by Skip »

That was kind of the point.
People will use what I call "the caveman defense" for all kinds of bad behaviour and unfair social organization, as well as whatever modern over-consuming habits they enjoy.
In fact, civilization is all about putting limits and restraints on those caveman tendencies.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Skip wrote:I can't be held responsible for.....

.... because it's in my nature.
No, if you can't control youself then you might have overwhelming OCD and in some cases you should therefore be locked up because you pose a potential risk to society. Many uses "it's my nature" because they'r immensly selfish and won't bother to change themselves a bit, therefore they will blame everybody else but them selves.

I knew this sickly narcissistic guy, who actually reasonable intelligent, but his narcissism drove his IQ down like 99% in certain cases, ending up being a complete retard. He would always get killed in Diablo 2 by PK'ers (people who kill other fellow players) he had 10 sec to cast a Town Portal and enter it for safety, it could easily be done in 1.1 sec, but he was so sickly selfish and narcissistic that he rather wanted to spend time doing all kinds of irrelevant things, than pull his stupid ass to safety, and thus would blame all those idiotic PK'ers.